ZMF November // 2023 // MEGATHREAD!
Dec 7, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #1,531 of 2,414
All set with this finally:

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 7, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #1,532 of 2,414
It’s one of this things I like about them. When in low light the colour balances really well with the black and purple finishing but even with just natural daylight through a window, the colour becomes a lot more vibrant! They’re not screaming Purple all the time… here are a couple of pics to try and illustrate it. First taken just now in low light and the other by a window.
I have noticed that most of the pictures that are taken by ZMF for their LTD headphones are slightly darker in person. That's because in order to show the detail for the headphones they have to blast them with direct light so you can see what they actually look like. So you can expect them to show up a bit darker in person.

Oooh, thanks for the heads up, that makes a lot of sense. I’m very curious how that Kintsugi VC will look now with my lighting.

True about the colors. My Lava Burst Ash Caldera order arrived today! The color is darker in-person which is what I was hoping for. A beautiful dark crimson and I love the grain/texture of the Ash wood. And comfortably light too! Similar to the cherry wood AO's weight. Did a quick hook up to the Bifrost-2 DAC paired to the Violectric V222 and absolutely this is the best planar I have ever experienced.

@zach915m Thank you for awesome work and craftmanship with the Shou-Sugi-Ban ash! I knew I was going to order a Caldera after it was announced and waited for one that would call out to me. I know it is heresy to say this but I don't believe I need anything else...at least until ZMF has other wonderful surprises. I'll follow-up later with a few more glamour pics.

20231207_141411.jpg

1701978258072.gif
1701978277271.gif

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #1,533 of 2,414
Beautiful… a real deep intensity to them 👍🏻

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #1,534 of 2,414
Beautiful! And a very different red to my Redheart LTD

Dec 7, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #1,535 of 2,414
It’s one of this things I like about them. When in low light the colour balances really well with the black and purple finishing but even with just natural daylight through a window, the colour becomes a lot more vibrant! They’re not screaming Purple all the time… here are a couple of pics to try and illustrate it. First taken just now in low light and the other by a window.

IMG_5327.jpeg

L1007462.jpeg
What cable is that? looks really nice

Dec 7, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #1,536 of 2,414
Hey all,

Longtime lurker here. I finally decided to sign up. I’ve been on here everyday for the last month staring at people’s new toys waiting for my ash atrium closed to come back in.

And I say back in because I unfortunately sent my first set back that came in about 3 weeks ago. It’s been painful waiting for them to come in a second time after having taken delivery of them once!

At least my VC’s will keep me company until then.

Dec 7, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #1,537 of 2,414
Hey all,

Longtime lurker here. I finally decided to sign up. I’ve been on here everyday for the last month staring at people’s new toys waiting for my ash atrium closed to come back in.

And I say back in because I unfortunately sent my first set back that came in about 3 weeks ago. It’s been painful waiting for them to come in a second time after having taken delivery of them once!

At least my VC’s will keep me company until then.
What was wrong that you needed to send them back the first time?

Dec 7, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #1,538 of 2,414
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 7, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #1,539 of 2,414
What was wrong that you needed to send them back the first time?
Nothing was wrong with them from a hardware standpoint. They sounded great! I was just being picky about the wood grain on my set, and @zach915m graciously said I could send them in and have another set made. He noted that they couldn’t take specific requests like book matching because that’s a custom shop capability and they aren’t doing that as of right now, but they could choose wood that had a grain pattern that was closer to what I had envisioned.

Here is my original set next to my VC’s
VC Camphor Burl and AC Purple Burst Ash

I wasnt a huge fan of the large grain on this set, even though they were still gorgeous. Thanks again to Zach for letting me do this :)

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #1,540 of 2,414
Nothing was wrong with them from a hardware standpoint. They sounded great! I was just being picky about the wood grain on my set, and @zach915m graciously said I could send them in and have another set made. He noted that they couldn’t take specific requests like book matching because that’s a custom shop capability and they aren’t doing that as of right now, but they could choose wood that had a grain pattern that was closer to what I had envisioned.

Here is my original set next to my VC’s
VC Camphor Burl and AC Purple Burst Ash

I wasnt a huge fan of the large grain on this set, even though they were still gorgeous. Thanks again to Zach for letting me do this :)
Those wide grain ash AC's look wild!!! If Zach's team brings those to the next NYC CanJam I may have to take'em home. :L3000:
They have the best customer service bar none.

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #1,541 of 2,414
Depends on what Atrium. If closed, it's very different than open. Personally, I prefer the AC more frequently than VC, but when I do listen to the VC I always enjoy it. I'd also argue that the AC is more thick and warm than VC by a mile. VC is faster and a bit "thinner" (I am guessing due to the Atrium Damping system being more recent, VC drivers being Vapor Deposed Beryllium vs. Atrium drivers being Biocellulose). They are both great, it depends what you are going for.

VC = fast, fast, fast, with accuracy and precision.
AC= immersive, immersive, immersive, with some magic fairy dust sprinkled in the cups. It's like if Caldera and VC had a baby. Slams hard while still being accurate.
True, but I think VC is [perhaps unexpectedly] generally less warm than VO, so our takes are not mutually exclusive.

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #1,542 of 2,414
True about the colors. My Lava Burst Ash Caldera order arrived today! The color is darker in-person which is what I was hoping for. A beautiful dark crimson and I love the grain/texture of the Ash wood. And very comfortably light too! Similar to the cherry wood AO's weight. Did a quick hook up to the Bifrost-2 DAC paired to the Violectric V222 and absolutely this is the best planar I have ever experienced.

@zach915m Thank you for awesome work and craftmanship with the Shou-Sugi-Ban ash! I knew I was going to order a Caldera after it was announced and waited for one that would call out to me. I know it is heresy to say this but I don't believe I need anything else...at least until ZMF has other wonderful surprises. I'll follow-up later with a few more glamour pics.

20231207_141411.jpg

1701978258072.gif 1701978277271.gif
So HOT! :heart_eyes:❤️‍🔥 And same - I knew I would eventually get a Caldera, but wanted to wait for the perfect one to call out to me. Shou sugi ban ash was it!

Congrats!

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #1,543 of 2,414
Dec 7, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #1,544 of 2,414
Dec 7, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #1,545 of 2,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back