ZMF Pendant by Ampsandsound; impressions, tube-rolling, and general discussions
May 3, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #2,521 of 2,559
Nice. I have the Vanatoo Zero’s and I love em.
Yeah, I picked up a b-stock One Encore Plus (stupid name) from them for a pretty great price.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #2,522 of 2,559
Got my NOS Tungsrams in. They don't have much of a glow, but they do work great. Current endgame is achieved. Everything sounds great and I have lots of good backup tubes if anything breaks. My initial impression with the JJ's was that the Pendant bottomed out on some bass - it felt like there was a shelf where the sound died and distorted. I no longer have that issue. Everything sounds amazing and open. Now I just need to get the Caldera (1-5 weeks), Tungsten (July), and Sash Tres SE (on its way from Kiev, but war) in to test them and keep whichever one I like the most. It'll be cool to compare those to the Susvara. Oh, and I'm going to build a new 90-degree Furutech 12-gauge power cable and a 90-degree 6.3mm to XLR-4 adapter to reduce stress on the system. I'll upload photos of that when it's done.

PXL_20240506_203953018~2.jpg

May 7, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #2,524 of 2,559
^ Someone likes it LOUD :dt880smile: Is that using the Susvara? Or you just have Tool playing :sunglasses:
Ha, Susvara. The only Tool is the guy wearing the headphones.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #2,526 of 2,559
The Pendant does justice to Susvara? I wouldn't think it would have enough juice.
Same. I felt the it wasn’t doing the Caldera justice and they are certainly less power hungry than a Sus

I don’t think it will drive the Tungsten or Sash Tre either. Bigger Ben would be suitable for all three.

May 7, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #2,527 of 2,559
Same. I felt the it wasn’t doing the Caldera justice and they are certainly less power hungry than a Sus

I don’t think it will drive the Tungsten or Sash Tre either. Bigger Ben would be suitable for all three.

It's a combination of Caldera's impedance and sensitivity where if an amp sounds great with Sus, it's alright with Caldera and vice versa. My reference for Caldera is still the dCS Lina map. That thing slaps with Caldera while it's not competitive enough for Sus in its price range

May 7, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #2,528 of 2,559
The Pendant does justice to Susvara? I wouldn't think it would have enough juice.
Yes. It has plenty power for the Susvara. Now admittedly, I'm sitting around 2/3 to 3/4 on the potentiometer to drive the Susvara. Still, it sounds great and it's really hard to find tube amps that put out enough 2+ amps to drive the Sus without costing $3k+. We'll see on the other 3 headphones - no clue how they'll sound.

May 8, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #2,529 of 2,559
May 8, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #2,530 of 2,559
https://raytubes.audio/
https://apos.audio/collections/apos-ray-vacuum-tubes

Really interesting! Found the above links as well. Kind of vague, they make a big deal of 'hand selecting' them but no real details on actual manufacturing, but imply they do. I'm most curious about that aspect. Apos is their only reseller, good user reviews. They're in Oakland, CA. Literally 30 min from me.

Very small selection of tubes they offer currently. I'd consider trying a Select 12AU7 for $80. They only have one Reserve tube, 6SN7. Could be used with an adapter, but spendy at over $200.

May 8, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #2,531 of 2,559
According to Sound News, Ray is an Apos brand. So evidently it's Apos' venture into tubes

May 8, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #2,532 of 2,559
According to Sound News, Ray is an Apos brand. So evidently it's Apos' venture into tubes
Not saying that you should drive out and visit them...but...😂

May 8, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #2,533 of 2,559
Not saying that you should drive out and visit them...but...😂

Ha, maybe! Now that I know they're close, wondering if it's an actual storefront or just a warehouse type situation. Might do some googling.

I contacted Ray Tubes and asked if they made their own tubes, and their response:
"We work very closely with our contract manufacture to help produce tubes based on our requirements and tested to our specifications and standards."

So no and I'm guessing their contractor is one of the bigger new production companies

May 8, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #2,534 of 2,559
Very small selection of tubes they offer currently. I'd consider trying a Select 12AU7 for $80. They only have one Reserve tube, 6SN7. Could be used with an adapter, but spendy at over $200.
There is a whole thread dedicated to the Reserve. It was the flavor of the month a few months back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back