ZX300 vs. NW-A55 -- burnin making a BIG difference?!
Aug 27, 2019 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sat24

New Head-Fier
Bought a NW-A55 with a Hifiman Sundara a couple of weeks back. Burnt in the headphones overnight a few times so it has about 60-75hrs total. The A55 itself has likely 30-40 hrs on it.

Then did more reading up and decided to go "all in" - balanced 4.4mm, etc. I also hated the fingerprint magnet that the A55 is and preferred the matte screen on the ZX300. The premium build with all metal body/buttons and higher mW output was also attractive.

So bought a ZX300.

Then the anti-climax.

It sounded like crap. Like same song, headphones, etc - just A/B on the players. Man, the A55 trounced the ZX300. It was night and day. Such wide soundstage, great low-end bass, and volume was higher (at 100 points on both players) on the A55. The difference was so obvious to my ears that I was shocked (I ran like a child and complained to my wife that my $700 player couldnt stand up to the $250 player... but thats a story for another time). Then I read the "guide to getting high quality sound" guide that Sony helpfully included on the player itself! I assume that Sony must've included it in there because folks returned the players due to the unfavorable initial impressions, perhaps? Was that guide there in the very first player firmware versions?

Either way, I am looking to hear any similar stories from fellow ZX300-ers (I did search and read thru the forum posts - ZX300 and burnin seems to be a real thing, so that's somewhat comforting). I have started the burnin process - upto 12hrs now. Let it running thru the day, I want to see how it sounds at the 25 hr mark and then 50 hr mark before I make a decision on which player to keep.

Thanks for listening! (pun unintended)

Aug 28, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 2
OK, now about 30 hours in. 20hrs looping thru my collection, and then I spent ~6 hours listening to the ZX300 comparing it to the A55. The sound stage is definitely more wider now. Volume is slowing climbing, but still not matching the A55 (both at 90/120). The more I listen, I am starting to see that ZX300 is just different from the A55. Seems more true to the source, doesnt overdo anything really - I guess it is a more neutral amp compared to the A55 which seems too eager to please :). The instrument separation has improved quite a bit even as I listened to various source on the ZX300.

I had to switch high-gain mode earlier (when player was brand new) to get good volumes; I definitely no longer need to do that. That's a very encouraging sign!

I noticed that the lower bass extension was noticeably on the lower side (good) when listening to sources via bluetooth receiver mode. Not sure why.

I also like the Tone Control mode (BASS/MID/TREBLE wheels) much more than the Equalizer mode. Ha, I would not have thought that would happen. Oh well.

I also spent ~3 hrs switching to BALANCED output. Not sure if I can actually tell the difference yet (maybe a little better stereo imaging but I could be imagining things) but I left it to burn that output overnight. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back