AKG K812 Pro, underrated?
Oct 3, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #212 of 296
I resist comparisons - and try to avoid ‘raining on other people’s parades’ - but I must say from my experience there is no contest - the AKG812 are in another league of sonic refinement - detail retrieval is better (and the Meze are good). the upper end on the 812 is more extended and again - more refined. I found the 109 pro too bright - and I like energetic treble. The 812 are more balanced and integrated - across the frequencies spectrum. I tried to make friends with the Meze - had them for a couple of months from a friend. But they are popular - and I know I’m in a minority.
That is fine. I had some issues with the 109 too.but where gone after a longer listening seasson (burn in?) Now i can't stop using them

Oct 3, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #215 of 296
I have the HD800s - I respectfully disagree. The AKG812 present a superior bass (quantity and quality). Neither HP have any issues with treble / sibilance etc - but this is very subjective.
Have to agree the AKG are even more refined, layering and sound staging IMHO is better delineated. If not for the inaugural bum review by TH which every Tom, Dick and Happy regurgitated without ever having tried them, there may have been an illustrious competition going with the HD800/S... much like the HD600 and K701s had before them. :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #216 of 296
Yes, the K812 definitely was not Tylls darling — no wonder given his preference for a warmer sound signature. I always liked them for their space, resolution and energy, but they could have used a bit more bass for my taste.

While the HD800S was ok for me, I always found the K812 to be more engaging. And easier to drive as well.

Oct 4, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #217 of 296
Yes, the K812 definitely was not Tylls darling — no wonder given his preference for a warmer sound signature. I always liked them for their space, resolution and energy, but they could have used a bit more bass for my taste.

While the HD800S was ok for me, I always found the K812 to be more engaging. And easier to drive as well.
I have the 872 as well - and these introduce a bit more of the bass frequency - even without the foam disc.

Oct 4, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #218 of 296
I have the 872 as well - and these introduce a bit more of the bass frequency - even without the foam disc.
That’s why I sold my K812 some time ago and kept the K872. Although I hardly use it anymore I have to admit

Oct 4, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #219 of 296
I have the 872 as well - and these introduce a bit more of the bass frequency
And because come across slightly less analytical
That’s why I sold my K812 some time ago and kept the K872.
Ditto
Although I hardly use it anymore I have to admit
I've been in the same boat but with recent Composer coming out I've been listening more.
Side by side with HD820 they offer different signatures but as with the K812 and HD800s the AKG are overall cleaner, (less distortion?) and I questioned why I don't use them on a regular basis.

Sound-wise the K812 and K872 are one if not the only one to give me the sensation with some pieces of having a live feed during the recording, so in that way they may feel more like a monitoring device, which they are, than strictly for musical enjoyment, the Sennheisers adding a touch of warmth in comparison.
And although the pads are an integral part of the K812 and K872 design and I've managed to keep mine soft and supple there is just something about how they fit or maybe the intricate design may appear too fragile, although they are not.
Anyway they are very interesting headphones and quite unique.

Oct 4, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #220 of 296
Yes, the K812 definitely was not Tylls darling — no wonder given his preference for a warmer sound signature.
And besides T.H.'s review which overall was rather positive this young lad (TH minion?, believe we're allowed derogatory comments on Youtube reviewers) is rather irritating and condescending in his delivery and catered, I believe, to the younger crowd hiding in the basements, so that didn't help.

Not too sure how he got around to reviewing headphones? Sorry.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #221 of 296
And besides T.H.'s review which overall was rather positive this young lad (TH minion?, believe we're allowed derogatory comments on Youtube reviewers) is rather irritating and condescending in his delivery and catered, I believe, to the younger crowd hiding in the basements, so that didn't help.

Not too sure how he got around to reviewing headphones? Sorry.

I think Tyll was always transparent in what his preferences are and how they influence reviews. With the K812 he initially didn’t do a review since it did not match and he did not want to write something negative, but eventually relented after multiple requests for his take. Which was then not stellar — as was to be expected.

Derogatory names for YouTube reviewers — I’m all in. I ignore everything that only appears on YouTube, without a text version… consider it just a waste of time. Therefore I’m sorry I won’t wade through the two videos. Free speech in full effect: they can say what they want. And I have to right to not listen :wink:

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #222 of 296
I think Tyll was always transparent in what his preferences are and how they influence reviews
Tyll was a very good reviewer and miss them, although we didn't see eye to eye I could reference his reviews in a much more confident manner.

I ignore everything that only appears on YouTube, without a text version… consider it just a waste of time.
:thumbsup: Sadly not too many are able or want to read anymore, forget writing altogether, and sadly I'm not just referring to the younger generations. :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #224 of 296
Tyll was a very good reviewer and miss them, although we didn't see eye to eye I could reference his reviews in a much more confident manner.

:thumbsup: Sadly not too many are able or want to read anymore, forget writing altogether, and sadly I'm not just referring to the younger generations. :rolling_eyes:
That describes my relation with Tylls reviews as well: I did not share his preferences in all details, but he was very consistent, so I could apply my offsets to get to a valuable interpretation anyway. Still miss him, including his stance on sponsoring.

That not reading part I can relate to out of my own experience unfortunately, feeling quite alone at times with being read-first. Moving pictures are for entertainment, I can absorb information much better by reading. Not only that, I often read while listening to music :)

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #225 of 296
With a DT1990 with analytical pads, the distance to the K812 shrinks considerably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back