ALO Continental PortableTube Amp
Nov 23, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #62 of 94
Volume-wise, when using the Continental, do you know how the CLAS compares with an iPod line-out dock?

Quote:
Well, it's pretty loud at low volumes. The CLAS isn't very loud at all, but the Continental has a lot of power under it's hood, so you can't turn it up too loud.

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #63 of 94
Is the Continental V2 new, or I just didn't notice the V2 on the website?

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #65 of 94
V1 also suffers from channel imbalance at low volumes for sensitive full-sized headphones, so the gain switch will be useful for those headphones, too. I wish I had a V2 instead of a V1.

Quote:

it's new,and it's much better now if you plan to use it with a IEM since ALO added a gain switch,V2 is a very nice amp with sexy looks

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #67 of 94
Thanks for the info! I find it amazing that ALO didn't know this information, and Cypher Labs didn't answer my two emails about it.

I now have the Continental and the (freshly purchased) CLAS in an elegant little rig and they sound amazing. But low-volume listening is impossible with my headphones. I'm not sure what to do.

Sell the Continental V1 and buy a V2? Return the CLAS, sell the Continental, and find a more appropriate portable setup for low-volume listening?

Quote:
CLAS output is 2vrms. That is twice as loud as a standard iPod line out.

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #68 of 94
Looking at your signature I'm trying to see which headphones you are finding problems with at low volumes, is it the IEM's?  I see a few others in your signature that I am able to listen to at low volumes with the CLAS/Continental setup with no problem...

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I find it amazing that ALO didn't know this information, and Cypher Labs didn't answer my two emails about it.

I now have the Continental and the (freshly purchased) CLAS in an elegant little rig and they sound amazing. But low-volume listening is impossible with my headphones. I'm not sure what to do.

Sell the Continental V1 and buy a V2? Return the CLAS, sell the Continental, and find a more appropriate portable setup for low-volume listening?

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #69 of 94
It's all the headphones, the HD650, the AH-D7000, the SRH940. They all sound so good...but at medium-loud.

Maybe I just like lower volume listening than you? I like it fairly quiet sometimes so that I can listen for a long time at a stretch.

Quote:
Looking at your signature I'm trying to see which headphones you are finding problems with at low volumes, is it the IEM's?  I see a few others in your signature that I am able to listen to at low volumes with the CLAS/Continental setup with no problem...

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #70 of 94

Quote:
It's all the headphones, the HD650, the AH-D7000, the SRH940. They all sound so good...but at medium-loud.

Maybe I just like lower volume listening than you? I like it fairly quiet sometimes so that I can listen for a long time at a stretch.

maybe get a 
EQu or Equalizer to lower the song volume a bit?​

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #71 of 94
maybe get a 
EQu or Equalizer to lower the song volume a bit?​

Yeah, that kind of takes away the whole portability thing, though.

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #72 of 94
Could be, although I have been able to listen at pretty low volumes at just above channel imbalance with the HD600 and D7000. That said I found that the d7000 did not match up well with the Conti, sounded thin and tinny.  A switch to the MK ii and they come to life, even at low volumes.  Of course none of those headphones are going to help the portable option.  

This is one of those cases when I wish I had waited as the V2 with a gain switch will make this a more versatile amp.  As it stands I like the continental but I tend to be picky about headphone selection.
Quote:

Dec 11, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #73 of 94

Quote:
Could be, although I have been able to listen at pretty low volumes at just above channel imbalance with the HD600 and D7000. That said I found that the d7000 did not match up well with the Conti, sounded thin and tinny.  A switch to the MK ii and they come to life, even at low volumes.  Of course none of those headphones are going to help the portable option.  

This is one of those cases when I wish I had waited as the V2 with a gain switch will make this a more versatile amp.  As it stands I like the continental but I tend to be picky about headphone selection.

All headphones play different with various amps. And yes, when playing on my HD650, there is a tiny bit of channel imbalance, but only at very low volume.

Dec 12, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #74 of 94

Quote:
All headphones play different with various amps. And yes, when playing on my HD650, there is a tiny bit of channel imbalance, but only at very low volume.

I've been a bit mystified why I'm the only person who is having trouble with channel imbalance. But then yesterday the amp stopped working. So I think it all might be part of the same problem.

I called ALO, and they've been very nice about getting this fixed. I hope I get it back soon, it really makes my 650s sing!

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #75 of 94
If all goes well with the Continental repair, I might just buy an Rx amp for my D7000s. I love those headphones, but the 650s and the Continental synergize so well that I've been neglecting my Denons.

Portability is relative. I'm most interested in having an awesome setup that I can take to different rooms of my house. I'm not looking at walking the streets with the D7000s and an ALO brick. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back