Alo Interconnect for Sony Walkman
Jan 30, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #106 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sony Walkman I am not very familiar with, but wow I kind of like it. Whats the best lossless format to use guys?

Ken

Most sony's I've had experienced with only support WAV files.

Jan 30, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #107 of 145
OH MY GOSH!! I am SOOOOO getting one of these ASAP!!!

Nice work Ken. Let me know as soon as they're ready....

Jan 30, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #108 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OH MY GOSH!! I am SOOOOO getting one of these ASAP!!!

Nice work Ken. Let me know as soon as they're ready....

Haha I thought it wasn't gonna be for long before I saw you in here
ksc75smile.gif
. This is gonna be awesome with the X + .....

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #109 of 145
Yep, you're quite right... you can't keep a guy from his Sony improvements.

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #110 of 145
Quote:

The Sony Walkman I am not very familiar with, but wow I kind of like it. Whats the best lossless format to use guys?

Ken

Most new Sony Walkmans support WMA Lossless. Given that sound quality is identical among all lossless formats, WMA Lossless yields consistently smaller file sizes, so I'd recommend that.

Feb 7, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #112 of 145
I bought a Walkman in Summer 2008 that supported WMA lossless and AAC (but not Apple Lossless, of course). Can't remember the model number but it was 8GB and had a 2-inch screen.

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #113 of 145
I have a brand new Sony NWZ-X1061FBSMP = 32 GB X series Walkman basically; and I load nothing but WMA lossless which shows up in the file format in the player as Linear PCM = uncompressed WAV.

Let's not even go into ripping CD's with EAC, offset adjustments, test and copy vs. secure mode, and "gold" backup CD-R discs...

Ken: I would be more than happy to lend you my brand new Walkman if it would help your testing. I am very eager to get your LOD for it, and I think a lot of other people would be too.

Otherwise, you would have to buy the Sony Style Dock ($70 + shipping and tax) + a mini to mini interconnect (at least for almost every portable headphone amp I've seen).

Any Sony Walkman that has a WM-PORT will able to use the ALO LOD...

I can't wait! Well, I guess we don't really have a real choice now do we?!??! Hmmmm, let's see: Sony Walkman > Sony Dock > interconnect > amp > headphones = no thank you, the fewer connections the better! I would much rather have: Sony Walkman > ALO LOD > amp > headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #114 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Slow Down /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a brand new Sony NWZ-X1061FBSMP = 32 GB X series Walkman basically; and I load nothing but WMA lossless which shows up in the file format in the player as Linear PCM = uncompressed WAV.

Let's not even go into ripping CD's with EAC, offset adjustments, test and copy vs. secure mode, and "gold" backup CD-R discs...

Ken: I would be more than happy to lend you my brand new Walkman if it would help your testing. I am very eager to get your LOD for it, and I think a lot of other people would be too.

Otherwise, you would have to buy the Sony Style Dock ($70 + shipping and tax) + a mini to mini interconnect (at least for almost every portable headphone amp I've seen).

Any Sony Walkman that has a WM-PORT will able to use the ALO LOD...

I can't wait! Well, I guess we don't really have a real choice now do we?!??! Hmmmm, let's see: Sony Walkman > Sony Dock > interconnect > amp > headphones = no thank you, the fewer connections the better! I would much rather have: Sony Walkman > ALO LOD > amp > headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you for the offer!

Hold on guys we are just waiting for a few more parts arriving at the end of next week and we will have product rolling.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 14, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #115 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by schaqfu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most new Sony Walkmans support WMA Lossless. Given that sound quality is identical among all lossless formats, WMA Lossless yields consistently smaller file sizes, so I'd recommend that.

No, they don't. Sony doesn't support wma lossless, can't remember if it ever has, but it certainly wasn't supported on any of the models I've had over the past three years, and that includes the X series.

Someone in the X thread transferred wma lossless files and said they played. But I told him to check the details on the player, and then he discovered it had converted to wma (regular) during transfer. Someone on Amazon even insisted it supported FLAC, but I guess the same thing happened. It got converted during the transfer process and he didn't notice because he wasn't watching the transfer.

Feb 14, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #116 of 145
Quote:

No, they don't. Sony doesn't support wma lossless, can't remember if it ever has, but it certainly wasn't supported on any of the models I've had over the past three years, and that includes the X series.

I believe this to be true and I miss-typed. I don't think WMA lossless can even be converted somehow to LPCM. While The Sony X-Series will play uncompressed (therefore inherently lossless) LPCM .WAV files (see pictures below), at least the NWZ-X 1061 only supports .WMA up to 192 kbps. .WMA lossless has a bitrate between 470 and 920 kbps making it a smaller size than an uncompressed CD, and supposedly mathematically lossless (the quality of WMA lossless has been disputed though). Personally, if I HAVE to compress I would at least prefer FLAC any day of the week which Sony doesn't support. But apparently the NWZ-S series is supposed to play .WMA lossless.

The_Slow_Down

The_Slow_Down

Feb 14, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #117 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Slow Down /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe this to be true and I miss-typed. I don't think WMA lossless can even be converted somehow to LPCM. While The Sony X-Series will play uncompressed (therefore inherently lossless) LPCM .WAV files (see pictures below),
at least the NWZ-X 1061 only supports .WMA up to 192 kbps.

No. It supports wma vbr of up to much higher bitrates as you can see.
The track below is 405 kbps wma vbr - and that's not even the highest vbr bitrate I have on my X.

sonywmafinal.jpg

The bitrate is only limited if you use the Sony content transfer tool (from the disc) to rip CDs.
And I never use the Sony software for ripping. I don't think many people do because of the bitrate limitation.

Quote:

I don't think WMA lossless can even be converted somehow to LPCM.

It doesn't need to be. Just convert wma lossless to WAV and transfer it to the player. That's it! I use dBpoweramp for conversion and it works great. The only problem is that WAV takes up a lot of space, so I have to limit what I put on the X.

Quote:

But apparently the NWZ-S series is supposed to play .WMA lossless.

No it doesn't. I don't think any Sony daps support wma lossless.
One of the biggest complaints (apart from lack of gapless) is that they don't support any compressed lossless formats.

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #118 of 145
Quote:

Thank you for the offer!

Hold on guys we are just waiting for a few more parts arriving at the end of next week and we will have product rolling.

Ken

I am so excited!!! Put me on the pre-order list. I have to have one of these.

Mar 5, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #119 of 145
The new ALO Teflon wire arrived and we are in the process of making the Sony LODs now.

Specs are;

Sony connector

ALO Teflon Silver plated copper 24awg x 4 conductor cable, flat weave Teflon clear ultra glossy jacket

Neutrik 3.5mm gold plug

I am also making a Sony to RCA cable.

I should have them up on the website next week.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Mar 6, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #120 of 145
confused_face(1).gif
Will ths lod that is currently on the cards for the X, will it give provide better sound qaultiy compared to my current setup of having it through the Sony BCR-NWU5 dock charger line out it has on there?

There is no issue with the quality of the cables i am using currently in conjunction with the dock, my concern is just primarily theSony dock in comparison with this new lod cable and iwether it will be an improvement over the dock SQ wise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back