ALO/ Red Wine Audio Desk Top Headphone Amp (Amphora) W/ PHOTOS
Mar 29, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #181 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Larry,

If you can tell us how the pre-amp of the Amphora performs I would be very glad.

I am considering using it to drive my Adam A5 desktop speakers- there are times after I have my shampoo and so headphones have to wait a bit :)

F. Lo

I did post somewhere that I popped the iMod into the dock in the Amphora, and then used the Amphora as a pre-amp to feed the P-51 mustang with an RCA-mini interconnect. And the P-51 sounded pretty much like it does when running my iMod/pVcap dock directly into the P-51. If anything it was slightly better with the iMod/Amphora as pre-amp, because the signal didn't have to go through both an LOD cable into the Vcaps and then through a mini-mini to get into the my Mustang (the number of IC was reduced from two to one).

So, the Amphora as a pre-amp took away nothing from the sound of the amp that it is driving, at least when that amp is a P-51. Later, after burn-in is done, I will hook it up between my PS Audio Digital Link III DAC and Woo GES and try it as a preamp there too.

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #182 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...The HeadphoneAddict avatar puppet in SCUBA gear (and wearing, of course, transparently-waterproofed RS1's or ED9's), fully submerged in well-lighted carribean-blue seawater holding a large sealed Zip-Loc bag containing an Amphora and portable source...

water-proof-mp3-player-iriver-ifp-380t-scuba-snorkel.jpg

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #183 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<Image deleted for space saving>

In the image that you posted, is the blue disc attached to the goggles strap (about where an ear might be with the goggles worn) an underwater earphone?

If so, how's the SQ? I'm guessing that the soundstage would be challenged with there being only one.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #186 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALL EARS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i checked on D1O they are out of stock ... for a desktop rig............ i am ALL EARS.

The Ibasso site will accept your order even though they say out of stack for the D10. Had mine in about 10 days after my order. Great amp, great service, but website needs some updating and polishing up.

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #190 of 203
This is a steal, packed with RWA boards and all...damn.

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #191 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you tell us something about the circuit design Vinnie?

From the picture I can see what looks like one opamp - that appears to be the only active component?

Yes, I would like to know more about the circuit design as well, please.

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #192 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I would like to know more about the circuit design as well, please.

I would be very interested in more description of the circuit also, please. With other amps, descriptive information like: all-discrete or uses-integrated-chips, the kind(s) of integrated chips used (in both gain and output stages) as well as the Class of both gain and output stages, and the like have been useful in describing and discussing the performance of an amp, especially in relation to other amps. If you'd be inclined to offer such descriptive information for the Amphora, that is.

Apr 24, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #193 of 203
Is there much stock left of the regular Amphora? I'm thinking about getting one (possibly with some ALO cable) but I don't want to discover that there's none left.

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #194 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you tell us something about the circuit design Vinnie?

From the picture I can see what looks like one opamp - that appears to be the only active component?

Hi guys,

I apologize for the slow response... I have not check this forum in a couple of weeks.

Thank you for your interest in the circuit design / topology, but it is all proprietary - so unfortunately I cannot disclose details.

Quote:

Is there much stock left of the regular Amphora? I'm thinking about getting one (possibly with some ALO cable) but I don't want to discover that there's none left.

Hi Gazza,

I would email Ken if he as any left in stock. He is making more enclosures and I have more boards and parts on order. Hopefully we will have them in a few weeks. A few of the parts are a real PITA to get!

Quote:

I just posted an update to the Amphora Impressions Thread: Amphora Headphone Amp Impressions - Page 5

All,

Thank you for posting all your Amphora impressions. We really appreciate all the feedback.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Apr 24, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #195 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,

I apologize for the slow response... I have not check this forum in a couple of weeks.

Thank you for your interest in the circuit design / topology, but it is all proprietary - so unfortunately I cannot disclose details.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Can you at least post the little bit that you told me in a PM, or let me post it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back