Astell&Kern ACRO CA1000 Carriable Headphone Amp
Mar 27, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #571 of 621
You didn't ask me, but I took this from Astell&Kern's website:
"The ACRO CA1000T has a battery protection mode feature that helps extend battery life. When battery protection mode is enabled, the battery is charged up to 85%, and then the charge stops. If the battery drops below 80%, the battery will start charging again and charge up to 85%. (Battery protection mode will be supported through a firmware update.)"
I received my CA1000T the other day and can confirm this firmware update is not out yet, but by the sound of it is in the works! When it is released, you should be able to leave it plugged in indefinitely if you'd like.
@JasonNYC, is this battery protection mode available for ca1000 OG, or are there any plans to add it with firmware updates?

Thanks.

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #572 of 621
Thank you for clarifying your position, friend. Because I took your replies to my post as dismissive or patronizing, not encouraging or open minded. Looking forward to your feedback regarding using ca1k as analog source once you might have had to try it yourself. Have a nice day.

Just a misunderstanding. You are free to listen however you like, I was just opening a discussion.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #573 of 621
@JasonNYC, is this battery protection mode available for ca1000 OG, or are there any plans to add it with firmware updates?

Thanks.
Currently only for the CA1000T, but I have put in previous requests to have it included in the CA1000 also. No ETA or other info to share at the moment. Will update wirh additional info when available.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 30, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #574 of 621
Advice on pairing my next premium headphones to the A&K CA1000

Hello all and than you for the wonderful advice and debate on this forum. I have recently purchased the A&K C1000 and I’m loving it. I enjoy using it so much I want to treat myself to a new pair of premium headphones to accompany this wonderful piece of kit. Can you help me ‘pair’ my A&K C1000s to my next headphones? I appreciate headphones are subjective however I come from a town in Ireland where there are very limited opportunities to audition and the expertise on this forum is superb.

I’m listening largely to indie & folk streamed via Tidal and Apple Music as well as some ‘FLACs from the Past’. Most, if not all, of my listening on these headphones will be at home (I have a mobile solution below). I’m currently using my Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X headphones (or else outputting the A&K CA1000 through my Sony AV amp to my surround sound system).

My own headphone shortlist (feel free to challenge or add) is
  • Focal Clear Mg
  • Hifiman Ayra Stealth
  • Sennheiser HD660S2s
So budget is circa 500-1000 euro

I also have an IFI Hip Dac 2 for mobile lossless listening using my 1More Quad driver in ears or wireless listening using my AirPods Pro 2s.

All advice welcome.

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #575 of 621
Advice on pairing my next premium headphones to the A&K CA1000

Hello all and than you for the wonderful advice and debate on this forum. I have recently purchased the A&K C1000 and I’m loving it. I enjoy using it so much I want to treat myself to a new pair of premium headphones to accompany this wonderful piece of kit. Can you help me ‘pair’ my A&K C1000s to my next headphones? I appreciate headphones are subjective however I come from a town in Ireland where there are very limited opportunities to audition and the expertise on this forum is superb.

I’m listening largely to indie & folk streamed via Tidal and Apple Music as well as some ‘FLACs from the Past’. Most, if not all, of my listening on these headphones will be at home (I have a mobile solution below). I’m currently using my Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X headphones (or else outputting the A&K CA1000 through my Sony AV amp to my surround sound system).

My own headphone shortlist (feel free to challenge or add) is
  • Focal Clear Mg
  • Hifiman Ayra Stealth
  • Sennheiser HD660S2s
So budget is circa 500-1000 euro

I also have an IFI Hip Dac 2 for mobile lossless listening using my 1More Quad driver in ears or wireless listening using my AirPods Pro 2s.

All advice welcome.
I went for the Focal Clear MGs (found a promotion) - they are on the way!

My next challenge is getting a longer cable - The Focals come with 2 low resistivity 24 AWG OFC copper cables: - 1 x 3.9ft (1.2m) mini-jack unbalance cable with 1/4” (6.35mm) jack adapter. - 1 x 9.8ft (3m) balanced 4-pin XLR cable.

However my AC1000 has 4 headphone outputs - 3.5mm, 6.35mm Unbalanced, 2.5mm and 4.4mm Balanced output jacks (no XLR)

I want to get at least a 2m cable - what do people recommend as a replacement to get the most out of my A&K ACRO CA1000?

Apr 2, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #576 of 621
Notice that the user who announced this update that has brought problems to several ACRO CA1000 owners is from a new head-fier with a single message?

It has gone completely unnoticed, but it looks like someone hacked into Astell & Kern's servers and introduced a fake firmware that caused the problems for several users (who knows how many more?).

The ACRO is not currently announcing any 1.10 update, but Astell & Kern should recognise this problem and repair or replace the equipment even if it is out of warranty.

Best regards
Yes I'm a new head-fier, never really follow or post on forums, but I can confirm that I recently purchased an Acro CA1000 and upon checking via the update facility it was showing new firmware available
I downloaded, updated and have had no problems, so I didn't hack Astell and Kern's servers

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #577 of 621
Is it common and considered normal when an CA1000 gets very hot (it's almost painful to hold a hand on it, so it should be more than 50°C) upon charging and using it as a USB DAC simultaneously?

The ambient room temp is 24°C.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #578 of 621
Is it common and considered normal when an CA1000 gets very hot (it's almost painful to hold a hand on it, so it should be more than 50°C) upon charging and using it as a USB DAC simultaneously?

The ambient room temp is 24°C.

Mine does not get that hot using single usb connections or line outs. Any third party apps installed? what power adapter are you using?
But I will test this out with both usb connection and see if it effects mine.

After an hour listening with dac and charging with 10w and 25w charger mine is just warm. Super high settings with HD600 and Hifiman Planar balanced.

I would either reset it or check the charger you are using ( maybe the amperage is to high ).
Try an different charger or change cables.
Check if any third party apps are causing problems.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #579 of 621
Mine does not get that hot using single usb connections or line outs. Any third party apps installed? what power adapter are you using? But I will test this out with both usb connection and see if it effects mine.
No 3rd party apps.
I see this behavior only when both USBs are connected, and the battery is charging.
There are no issues when the battery is fully charged (both USBs are connected) or when only the DATA USB is connected.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #582 of 621
I use Baseus 100W GaN3 Pro USB Charger (it supports PD/QC4.0-3.0)

Looks like a good charger, would be nice if manufactures include the right spec $$%% charger for the device they are selling at these price points.

Do you have a phone charger you could try when it needs charging next time to see if there is any difference in heat? We can rule out the Baseus charger if the same overheating happens with a 10w-25w phone charger.

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #583 of 621
Looks like a good charger, would be nice if manufactures include the right spec $$%% charger for the device they are selling at these price points.

Do you have a phone charger you could try when it needs charging next time to see if there is any difference in heat? We can rule out the Baseus charger if the same overheating happens with a 10w-25w phone charger.
Yep, I will try another charger in the morning.

The most critical feature I am expecting in further firmware updates is an option to bypass the battery when a charger is connected.

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #584 of 621
Yep, I will try another charger in the morning.

The most critical feature I am expecting in further firmware updates is an option to bypass the battery when a charger is connected.

Yeah some players have a switch either digital or analog. But the CA1000 should auto stop charging and use the USB power. I could be wrong, but search this thread i think this has been answered before.

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #585 of 621
Yeah some players have a switch either digital or analog. But the CA1000 should auto stop charging and use the USB power. I could be wrong, but search this thread i think this has been answered before.
It stops charging when the battery is fully charged, it doesn't seem good for the battery to be 100% charged all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back