Astell&Kern Launches New A&norma SR35 Player
Feb 23, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #541 of 592
Hi all, just bought this player a month ago and am really enjoying using it but have a couple of questions for the more seasoned A&K aficionados:

1. Is it a good idea to download the latest APKs to the device or to use the version (Apple Music for example) provided on the firmware and wait for device updates?
2. Is there something special about integration with Tidal? Why is it the only preinstalled player? (I mean, on my player anyway, it is at the top separate from the other streaming apps, seems like it is the 'default' streaming app)
3. I like the official leather case but for the life of me I don't understand why the buttons are covered by the case with no tactile feedback. I guess that's more of a comment than a question! Besides that, I am really glad I bought it. Love the sound and having invisible Android.

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #542 of 592
Great questions, and congrats on your puchase. I think you’ll like it very much.

On (1), I upgraded and had no problems. I tend to do that when I get something to make sure I have the latest security patches and what have you. I’m not tracking when new versions of those apps come out and manually upgrading them, though. I suppose I should.

It is a bit of a hassle to get the APKs and sideload them, though. If they work on the device — as they should — I wouldn’t blame you for not bothering.

On (2), I don’t think so. I don’t know why it’s the only preinstalled player. Maybe there was some sort of deal between the two companies?

On (3), I agree, and am of two minds of the case. I don’t want to get mine all dinged up (and yeah, I put the screen protector on right away), but the buttons are nearly impossible to trigger accurately in the case. I either end up stopping what I’m listening to when I skip, or whatever else is wrong. Also, I wish they’d add a button lock.

Edit: spelling problems. Autocorrect!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #543 of 592
Great questions, and congrats on your purpose. I think you’ll like it very much.

On (1), I upgraded and had no problems. I tend to do that when I get something to make sure I have the latest security patches and what have you. I’m not tracking when new versions of those apps come out and manually upgrading them, though. I suppose I should.

It is a bit of a hassle to get the APKs and sideload them, though. If they work on the device — as they should — I wouldn’t blame you for not bothering.

On (2), I don’t think so. I don’t know why it’s the only preinstalled player. Maybe there was some sort of deal between the two companies?

On (3), I agree, and am of two minds of the case. I don’t want to get mine all dinged up (and yeah, I put the screen protector on right away), but the buttons are nearly impossible to trigger accurately in the case. I either end up stopping what I’m listening to when I skip, or whatever else is wrong. Also, I wish they’d add a button lock.
When I'm in the mood to feel the buttons (and the curves, the design is great) I switch to an iFi baggie :) AK and iBasso teams should talk about some middle ground in terms of cases - DX300's case is far too easy to press

Feb 23, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #544 of 592
Great questions, and congrats on your puchase. I think you’ll like it very much.

Edit: spelling problems. Autocorrect!
Hey, thanks for your reply. For the 1st question I meant is there any benefit to updating to the latest APK or could it actually be a bad idea? (Maybe the A&K rep could answer this one?)
For the 3rd question I have the same problem, the case causes me to stop or skip by accident when changing tracks and I would also love a hold button, like Sony players. But the case is so nice...ah well.

Feb 23, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #545 of 592
Hey, thanks for your reply. For the 1st question I meant is there any benefit to updating to the latest APK or could it actually be a bad idea? (Maybe the A&K rep could answer this one?)
For the 3rd question I have the same problem, the case causes me to stop or skip by accident when changing tracks and I would also love a hold button, like Sony players. But the case is so nice...ah well.
Yeah, let’s see What the A&K folks say — there’s one person (I’m sorry, I can’t remember your name!) who posts here on and off.

I can’t imagine that it would hurt, though.

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #546 of 592
Sorry for the late reply. I started typing responses earlier and never finsihed.

1. Is it a good idea to download the latest APKs to the device or to use the version (Apple Music for example) provided on the firmware and wait for device updates?
The APKs on the download tab of the device have been tested by AK's QA team and found to have no issues with the player. Some people like to upgrade to the latest versions manually as it usually takes the QA team some time to test the apps and the download tab tends a version or two behind. Always great to check the threads, most people will comment if one of the newer versions not yet available on the download tab is better or adds some new features. It is more work to manually download and copy over newer versions of the APKs that are not available yet on the download tab. If you do decide to download a new version and already have an older version, DO NOT delete the old version. Copy the new version to the OpenService folder on the player, open the Services tab on the player and install the new version from there on top of the old one. It will keep all your settings and any offline music you downloaded.

2. Is there something special about integration with Tidal? Why is it the only preinstalled player? (I mean, on my player anyway, it is at the top separate from the other streaming apps, seems like it is the 'default' streaming app)
A few years before adding the option to install additional streaming services via APKs, we worked with Tidal to produce a built in streaming app into our players. A lot of people like the built in app because it is streamlined into AK's software. The only issue with the built in app is due to contractual clauses with the record labels, we cannot add offline mode to a third party app. Most people will therefore install the full Tidal Android app for offline mode.

3. I like the official leather case but for the life of me I don't understand why the buttons are covered by the case with no tactile feedback.
I passed on your feedback to the team regarding the case.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 23, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #547 of 592
Sorry for the late reply. I started typing responses earlier and never finsihed.

The APKs on the download tab of the device have been tested by AK's QA team and found to have no issues with the player. Some people like to upgrade to the latest versions manually as it usually takes the QA team some time to test the apps and the download tab tends a version or two behind. Always great to check the threads, most people will comment if one of the newer versions not yet available on the download tab is better or adds some new features. It is more work to manually download and copy over newer versions of the APKs that are not available yet on the download tab. If you do decide to download a new version and already have an older version, DO NOT delete the old version. Copy the new version to the OpenService folder on the player, open the Services tab on the player and install the new version from there on top of the old one. It will keep all your settings and any offline music you downloaded.

A few years before adding the option to install additional streaming services via APKs, we worked with Tidal to produce a built in streaming app into our players. A lot of people like the built in app because it is streamlined into AK's software. The only issue with the built in app is due to contractual clauses with the record labels, we cannot add offline mode to a third party app. Most people will therefore install the full Tidal Android app for offline mode.

I passed on your feedback to the team regarding the case.
Thanks for your detailed reply! So would you say overall that the Tidal app is less likely to be buggy than others? I would gladly subscribe to Tidal if there were a marked benefit. Apple Music sounds fine but can be slow or laggy at times and I have had to reset or reinstall it because of intermittent issues or even with it totally freezing the device.

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #548 of 592
Thanks for your detailed reply! So would you say overall that the Tidal app is less likely to be buggy than others? I would gladly subscribe to Tidal if there were a marked benefit. Apple Music sounds fine but can be slow or laggy at times and I have had to reset or reinstall it because of intermittent issues or even with it totally freezing the device.
I am sure others can weigh in on their thoughts also, but as a daily Android phone user, I have always found the Apple Music app for Android nowhere as good as the iOS version. I also think Apple Music tends to run better on Android based devices that have faster processors and more RAM, like the SP3000. I know there are plenty of SR35 users that are daily Apple Music users.

Have you tried manually installing the latest version if Apple Music? I can do some testing with an SR35 when I am back at work on Monday.

Personally, I tend to use Qobuz more than any of the other streaming services. I also am a heavy Roon user and Qobuz is available in Roon. There are plenty of Tidal users on Head Fi.

Unfortunately I don't think I really gave you a concrete answer. All of the services have free trials, I would recommend testing them out and see if you.prefer one over another. If you already invested in Apple Music, I would try a newer version of the app as I assume.you are using the version from the downl9ad tab?

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Feb 24, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #549 of 592
JasonNYC, while you are here, can you answer another quick Q? Does the EQ on the SR35 not work on Bluetooth connections?

Feb 24, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #550 of 592
I am sure others can weigh in on their thoughts also, but as a daily Android phone user, I have always found the Apple Music app for Android nowhere as good as the iOS version. I also think Apple Music tends to run better on Android based devices that have faster processors and more RAM, like the SP3000. I know there are plenty of SR35 users that are daily Apple Music users.

Have you tried manually installing the latest version if Apple Music? I can do some testing with an SR35 when I am back at work on Monday.

Personally, I tend to use Qobuz more than any of the other streaming services. I also am a heavy Roon user and Qobuz is available in Roon. There are plenty of Tidal users on Head Fi.

Unfortunately I don't think I really gave you a concrete answer. All of the services have free trials, I would recommend testing them out and see if you.prefer one over another. If you already invested in Apple Music, I would try a newer version of the app as I assume.you are using the version from the downl9ad tab?

One thing to remember with the integrated Tidal is that it doesn't currently support Tidal Max, although I hope it being worked on.

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #551 of 592

Yes, the download version provided on the device

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #552 of 592
New firmware today (1.12). I haven't tried it yet but it only mentioned Apple Classical and Gboard.

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #554 of 592
Is A&K intentionally withholding Roon ARC from the SR35 and SE300 simply because these aren't top of the line DAPs? There doesn't seem to be any other reasonable explanation. Please eliminate the whitelist, it's such a pain to work around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back