Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Dec 26, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #1,531 of 1,722
But why with PCM files all is fine.... also with upsampling??
Thanks for the support
Hi,
i had the same problem like you, in my case, it was due to the USB connection.
Try to see if DSD64 works for you, because that's all I was able to do.
I then bought a Gustard U18 DDC and connected my R28 via I2s, since then I have had no more problems and can use native DSD up to 512.

Dec 26, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #1,532 of 1,722
Try to see if DSD64 works for you, because that's all I was able to do.
Yes. In this setup (Windows WASAPI interface) and a maximum PCM sample rate 384kHz over USB, only DSD64 and DSD128 will work.

Higher rates 256 and 512 are possible with a player which deploy native transfers over ASIO interface.

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #1,533 of 1,722
Yes. In this setup (Windows WASAPI interface) and a maximum PCM sample rate 384kHz over USB, only DSD64 and DSD128 will work.

Higher rates 256 and 512 are possible with a player which deploy native transfers over ASIO interface.
Hi
The noise occurs both USB and I2s using DI20 or other stuff.. whatever DSD files, from 64 to 512..it's more consistent with 64 and is lower with high upsample like 128, 256 or 512

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #1,534 of 1,722
The hardware is 2020 edition. But at power on, display shows AudioGD19.
How can I check my firmware?

Is possible that CLPDs for right Chanel are corrupted?
I understand that R2R resistors are for PCM conversion.
The 5 CLPDs are for DSD conversion.
That' correct??
I ve start to think about hardware issue......?!

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #1,535 of 1,722
Now my Audio GD R28 is in NOS mode.
Win 11 with Foobar2000 in exclusive mode or with Wasapi event..and the noise with DSD output setting is on the right channel only..
If you have suggestion??
Can you post screenshot of Preferences -> Playback -> Output with your selected output highlighted on a drop-down Device list?

Is "Output format" field set to 24-bits?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #1,536 of 1,722
Can you post screenshot of Preferences -> Playback -> Output with your selected output highlighted on a drop-down Device list?

Is "Output format" field set to 24-bits?

Thanks.
@sajunky thanks for the support..

Ok next days I'll send the screenshot with setting and device list. Now I'm out due to my job.
Anyway, I must remark that the inaudible noise occurs also with the use of I2s with DI20 and with the use of other device connected with I2s of R28 using DSD files.
Again,
I report that all is fine using PCM source whatever the upsampling till 384.. Being the maximum rate accepted by R28 I2s and USB inputs

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #1,537 of 1,722
However, anyone knows how to check what firmware is installed in Audio GD R28. .?
And, as just previously reported, I failed the upgrading to 2021 edition with the kit (USB and I2s modules with different connection to avoid soldering)
because of not able to flash the firmware with the blaster kit sent me by Audio GD, and connected with the pins inside the DAC (not available the update port in the back of chassis)
I hope @ladderdac could help me for this issue.....

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #1,538 of 1,722
Anyway, I must remark that the inaudible noise occurs also with the use of I2s with DI20 and with the use of other device connected with I2s of R28 using DSD files.
How you describe inaudible noise?

It rings my bells. AFAIK, This issue had been fixed on R-28 with more comfortable FPGA firmware upgrade, not by the upgrade of individual DA-8 modules which is more difficult to do.

Upgrading DA-8 modules was only offered for R2R-11, as this DAC has no FPGA.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #1,539 of 1,722
Seems like the version I picked up is 2021, it has missing update port from 2022 version, I assume its updatable but curious how do one go updating the firmware in such unit?

As I am cycling through the menu, The 4th Display in 2021 has Dithering Option, any recommendation to keep it 1 or 0?

Last and least AGD says the 2022 version mainly optimizes the clock for USB input from 2021 version, I am not sure what it means but curious how good is that from 2021 version or benefits of it as such?

Jan 1, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #1,540 of 1,722
Happy new year
It's impossibile update or reflash the firmware in my R28.. I'll buy another USB blaster even if I don't know if is the issue.. Or driver problem in my laptop with win 11.
Also with headphones the noise with DSD files is only in the right channel..... Same result with foobar and HQP players.
Anyway the question is :
Using the upgrade kit USB + HDMI module kit.. (for galvanic isolation and a different management of signal/clock) , the R28 will work without the upgrade of 2021 firmware??????
Thanks again for the support.

PS All is fine with the upsampling to 384 khz

Jan 1, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #1,541 of 1,722
Happy new year
It's impossibile update or reflash the firmware in my R28.. I'll buy another USB blaster even if I don't know if is the issue.. Or driver problem in my laptop with win 11.
Also with headphones the noise with DSD files is only in the right channel..... Same result with foobar and HQP players.
Anyway the question is :
Using the upgrade kit USB + HDMI module kit.. (for galvanic isolation and a different management of signal/clock) , the R28 will work without the upgrade of 2021 firmware??????
Thanks again for the support.

PS All is fine with the upsampling to 384 khz
New year, get new ideas. It is possible to upgrade firmware on Win11, but you need to bypass driver certification restrictions in Win11. Messy, but possible. Buying new Blaster won't help, unless you get assurance that a new driver is certified for Win11. It is much easier to borrow PC with Win7, it is what I do recommend.

Installing 2021 kit, but not upgrading firmware is a wrong idea. I think you are placed in this situation.

If I remember correctly you bought this DAC second-hand and had problem with DSD from beginning. Are you sure a previous owner did not upgrade FPGA with a wrong firmware?

It is why you have to synchronise Amanero firmware with FPGA firmware. No matter you procede with installing upgrade kit or not, it should be reflashed using proper files

If problem still persists it is indication that someone was trying to upgrade firmware on the DA-8 modules. In such situation all four modules must be upgraded with the same compatible firmware. But you still didn't get to this point.

Jan 1, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #1,542 of 1,722
@sajunky

Thanks for the reply

I fail the firmware upgrade also by win 7 with an older laptop. I've tried many times following the instructions and reading a lot of post. Jtag chain was never revealed.... the drivers from quantus 16 allow to show USB altera in device setting, but not jtag interface... Probably the issue I suppose... Or a Altera usb issue, even if I think very rare.

No. it is not a second-hand DAC... I buyed R28 from Audiophonics in January 2020

What you mean with "... synchronise Amanero firmware with FPGA firmware...."???????

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #1,543 of 1,722
@sajunky

Thanks for the reply

I fail the firmware upgrade also by win 7 with an older laptop. I've tried many times following the instructions and reading a lot of post. Jtag chain was never revealed.... the drivers from quantus 16 allow to show USB altera in device setting, but not jtag interface... Probably the issue I suppose... Or a Altera usb issue, even if I think very rare.

No. it is not a second-hand DAC... I buyed R28 from Audiophonics in January 2020

What you mean with "... synchronise Amanero firmware with FPGA firmware...."???????
Some FPGA firmware upgrade readme suggest upgrading Amanero module to the latest version. It means synchronisaton of firmware.

I apologise for an assumption. Did you experience DSD problem from the beginning or only after attempting of firmware update? Did you try upgrading firmware on any DA-8 module?

I remember that you reported problem with PCM as well, happy to hear it is solved. I asked sometime ago what is a setup for the output word size in Foobar, didn't get reply. Check it out. Also try ASIO. It may be still configuration error.

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:34 AM Post #1,544 of 1,722
Some FPGA firmware upgrade readme suggest upgrading Amanero module to the latest version. It means synchronisaton of firmware.

I apologise for an assumption. Did you experience DSD problem from the beginning or only after attempting of firmware update? Did you try upgrading firmware on any DA-8 module?

I remember that you reported problem with PCM as well, happy to hear it is solved. I asked sometime ago what is a setup for the output word size in Foobar, didn't get reply. Check it out. Also try ASIO. It may be still configuration error.
_No PCM files played always very well from the beginning.
_DSD files or the conversion from PCM to DSD by software or hardware source always played with a lot of noise.

_I tried to upgrade the firmware due to this issue.

I purchased the kit with USB, HDMI modules and Altera Usb interface directly from Audio GD, as suggested by Kingwa, in order to get the upgrade to 2021 edition.. . USB isolation, a different mangenent of clock and other benefits as you know.
As just said the issue of noise by DSD occurs also with other hardware source with I2s connection and by USB with all bit perfect software players (also HQP layer), with right setting, believe me about that.
Noise only in the right channel.

In conclusion
The only chance is the upgrade, but till now it was a fail because of drivers issue or Altera usb Rev c issue sent by Kingwa.
OK any suggestion is well accepted.
1. Easier with a win 7 pc.
2. I followed the instructions by Audio gd.....tried different drivers as suggested in different posts of internet forum...
I understand that is not enough to get altera usb in device manager. I must get also Jtag interface.
Till now the jtag chain was not checked by Quartus software.
I used Quartus II 16 downloaded by Dropbox indicated by Audio GD with PDF files instruction.
I tried a previous version 13.1 version founded in internet (drivers not loaded) .
Anyway I don't understand it's so difficult an upgrade. My R28 has the connection inside the chassis. The cable was correctly connected as suggested. I performed a lot of firmware upgrade for different devices during past years.

...... Thus, I hope in forum support for the upgrade. Till now I checked a lot of post....

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #1,545 of 1,722
_No PCM files played always very well from the beginning.
_DSD files or the conversion from PCM to DSD by software or hardware source always played with a lot of noise.

_I tried to upgrade the firmware due to this issue.

I purchased the kit with USB, HDMI modules and Altera Usb interface directly from Audio GD, as suggested by Kingwa, in order to get the upgrade to 2021 edition.. . USB isolation, a different mangenent of clock and other benefits as you know.
As just said the issue of noise by DSD occurs also with other hardware source with I2s connection and by USB with all bit perfect software players (also HQP layer), with right setting, believe me about that.
Noise only in the right channel.

In conclusion
The only chance is the upgrade, but till now it was a fail because of drivers issue or Altera usb Rev c issue sent by Kingwa.
OK any suggestion is well accepted.
1. Easier with a win 7 pc.
2. I followed the instructions by Audio gd.....tried different drivers as suggested in different posts of internet forum...
I understand that is not enough to get altera usb in device manager. I must get also Jtag interface.
Till now the jtag chain was not checked by Quartus software.
I used Quartus II 16 downloaded by Dropbox indicated by Audio GD with PDF files instruction.
I tried a previous version 13.1 version founded in internet (drivers not loaded) .
Anyway I don't understand it's so difficult an upgrade. My R28 has the connection inside the chassis. The cable was correctly connected as suggested. I performed a lot of firmware upgrade for different devices during past years.

...... Thus, I hope in forum support for the upgrade. Till now I checked a lot of post....

Thanks in advance
I can't help with upgrade kit, not sure if there is anyone on the forum who actually did this upgrade. However many people did FPGA upgrade on R-1/R28 or R-8 and up, fashing procedure is the same.

This upgrade kit is a major upgrade and you definitely need to complete flashing new firmware, otherwise it will be like a car with fuel injection without engine management. Some facts/tips:

1. After you started flashing and it failed, it can be a partial update. It has to be repeated till getting a message confirming that everything is OK. At a moment firmware may be only partially functional (rare, but possible).

2. If you didn't attempt flashing DA-8 modules, don't touch it.

3. You had a problem from the beginning playing PCM files and DSD was always playing noise. Partially it was because of misunderstanding of maximum capabilities in your setup and/or not using exclusive device access for playing DSD. At a moment PCM playback is fully resolved, while DSD channel plays music on one channel only and the other plays noise. It means that now you use exclusive access (which is mandatory for playing DSD), but I have still no confirmation on selecting 24-bit output in Foobar, and no tests were made with ASIO. It is pity that you started asking for help 3 years after a purchase, but only after firmware upgrade failed. Before we could have better picture on what is wrong. But I am here, ready to help, be patient.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back