Audio-Gd R-28 impressions thread
Jan 21, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #1,561 of 1,605
Fail upgrading the R28 firmware yet.
I've bought another Alrera USB... Same result. So it is not an hardware problem.
I've also used Quartus software 23.. Same result.
Altera usb is always detected... But it's not detected the JTAG chain with the Altera Cyclone IV FPGA of my Audio GD R28...
I claim support to forum in order to get suggestions to move on!!!
Maybe that drivers are installed, but wrong drivers to detect the JTAG chain with FPGA CHIP???
WHAT SHOULD I find in the the device setting under USB connection... ALTERA...???

Thanks in advance
Up.....

Jan 21, 2024 at 7:08 AM Post #1,562 of 1,605
Feb 11, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #1,565 of 1,605
Just got the R28 NOS. It's part of my end game desk top trio. I have it next to the Mojo 2 and the Geshelli J24499 ex w/Sparkos dual SS2590 pro opamp stacked with Archel 3 Pro. The R20 NOS is such a wonderful pairing with those other two. Such lush yet wonderfully clear sound. Couldn't be happier.
Curious if Archel 3 Pro is warm sounding? Warm I mean a bit smoother highs? I have 2021 R28 AIO version and enjoy the sound but I can use a bit softer treble to my ears.

Feb 11, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #1,566 of 1,605
Curious if Archel 3 Pro is warm sounding? Warm I mean a bit smoother highs? I have 2021 R28 AIO version and enjoy the sound but I can use a bit softer treble to my ears.
A partial answer, as I can't say about Archel.
Warm sound is usually associated with added 2nd harmonic distortion which is pleasant to our ears. Smooth hights are not related. You have smooth hights, as it is a feature of R2R DAC, especially NOS. Trebles are harmonically consistent with base frequencies. Delta-Sigma DACs for comparison may even have warm sound, usually much lower harmonic distortions, but hights are harsh, fatiguing, it is typical. It is a different type of distortions than 2nd harmonics. I call it false harmonics.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #1,567 of 1,605
I agree 100 with what sajuniy says. I don’t think the Archel 3 pro is warm in comparison to the R28. I got the R28 to be the warm lush musical device on me desk. To my ears, from clinical and precise to warm and lush the devices I have on my desk go like this. Chord Mojo 2 is the least warm and most percise. Geshelli stack is in the middle. Audio GD R28 is most warm and lush. So the Geshelli stack sounds warmer than the Mojo2 but not anywhere as warm as the R28.

That said, I have only listened to the Archel 3 Pro connected to the Geshelli J24499ex dac with those wild Sparkos opamps. So I cannot speak to the warmth of the Archel 3 Pro alone in comparison to the R28

The question is are you only listening to the headphone amp portion of the R28. If you are using the R28 only as a headphone amp bypassing the dac portion you’re still listening to a Class A amp and to me class A amps will be almost all the time be warmer. So when comparing the Archel 3 Pro to the Audio GD amp only I would expect you to find the Audio GD under most if not all conditions to be warmer. That said, when compared to amps similar to the Topping amps I would expect the Archel 3 pro to be more warm. I don’t have any topping amps to test but I have had them and I remember being impressed but bored.

I’ll say this. To me class A amps are amazing and great but to be there is a class A sound. And I don’t always want that. I only have Audio Class A amps. I would put my hear of the Geshelli sound in between Topping and R28. But again, I know nothing of what the R28 sounds like only as an amp and what the Archel 3 pro sounds like only as an amp. I only know R28 with the R2R dac sound behind it and the Archel 3 within the Geshelli stack.

Feb 11, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #1,568 of 1,605
To me the Archel 3 pro is less warm and less rolled off in the highs than the Audio GD R28. To me it is a great middle ground between the Chord Mojo 2 and the R28. R28 being most warm lush and rolled off out of the three and Chord Mojo 2 being the least.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #1,569 of 1,605
The question is are you only listening to the headphone amp portion of the R28. If you are using the R28 only as a headphone amp bypassing the dac portion you’re still listening to a Class A amp and to me class A amps will be almost all the time be warmer. So when comparing the Archel 3 Pro to the Audio GD amp only I would expect you to find the Audio GD under most if not all conditions to be warmer. That said, when compared to amps similar to the Topping amps I would expect the Archel 3 pro to be more warm. I don’t have any topping amps to test but I have had them and I remember being impressed but bored.
How do you bypassing the DAC Part?

The R28 does not have an input for an external DAC, or have I misunderstood something?

Feb 12, 2024 at 3:15 AM Post #1,570 of 1,605

The R28 does not have an input for an external DAC, or have I misunderstood something?
It does, both RCA and XLR inputs for the internal pre-amp.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 4:19 AM Post #1,571 of 1,605
It does, both RCA and XLR inputs for the internal pre-amp.
LOL!
I didn't know that.
Thank you.
I immediately connected my Euforia, which is connected to the Cyan2 - wow. :)

IMG_2278.jpeg

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #1,572 of 1,605

The Archel 3 pro is a headphone amp only. The R28 is a headphone amp + R2R dac but you can use only the headphone amp section of that R28 without using the R2R dac. So I was asking if you were doing that, using only the headphone amp section of the R28 or if you were using the R2R dac part as well. From what I understand the dac section is essentially the Audio GD R-1 dac. In the past it has been. I am assuming it is the same with the R28 NOS because the R-1 NOS dac and R28 NOS dac/amp came out concurrently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back