Audio Technica ATH-AWKT
Aug 18, 2020 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Kelt0912

100+ Head-Fier
I ordered the Audio Technica ATH-AWKT headphones. I was wondering what others think of them. For now I will be using the THX 789 and the Airist R-2R DAC. I am going to be looking for another amp and dac down the road as well for them.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 26
They're technically brilliant, and 10/10 in the looks department. They tilt a little lean/monitor-like for my preferences, however. I much preferred their more affordable ATH-AWAS stablemate which had a much more approachable sound...to my ears.

My biggest complaint about the AWKT is its comfort and form-factor - it's not a great closed-back headphone in that the pads are like pancakes and tent to sit 'on' your ears. As a result, isolation is middling as is clamp-force. While 2 x very nicely built cables are supplied, they are crazy-microphonic.

My long-hand impressions can be viewed here.

Aug 18, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 26
They're technically brilliant, and 10/10 in the looks department. They tilt a little lean/monitor-like for my preferences, however. I much preferred their more affordable ATH-AWAS stablemate which had a much more approachable sound...to my ears.

My biggest complaint about the AWKT is its comfort and form-factor - it's not a great closed-back headphone in that the pads are like pancakes and tent to sit 'on' your ears. As a result, isolation is middling as is clamp-force. While 2 x very nicely built cables are supplied, they are crazy-microphonic.

I remember reading this artical when looking up things before I got them. Great read. I did have the Audio-Technica ATHW5000 and I remember the ear pads had the same problem and also the cord. I was planning on upgrading the ear pads as well as getting a good XRL cord for the AWKT. The headphones will be here tomarrow. I am going from my daily Mr. Speaker Eather CX.

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 26

I got the headphones today. I really liked the unboxing and you are right about the smell when I opened up the wooden box. The sound and the highs and lows stand out. The ear pads fit perfect after I rotated them some and with no gaps etc at the bottom. Now the XLR line is made great and so is the other and looks great but yes it needs help with cutting down on sound when rubbing on stuff. The build of the headphones is great. I do wish the plastic parts were not plastic but I understand it's to cut down on weight. I will post more as I have them more. Any idea on burn in time for these?

Aug 19, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 26
I got the headphones today. I really liked the unboxing and you are right about the smell when I opened up the wooden box. The sound and the highs and lows stand out. The ear pads fit perfect after I rotated them some and with no gaps etc at the bottom. Now the XLR line is made great and so is the other and looks great but yes it needs help with cutting down on sound when rubbing on stuff. The build of the headphones is great. I do wish the plastic parts were not plastic but I understand it's to cut down on weight. I will post more as I have them more. Any idea on burn in time for these?
I'm not certain that mechanical burn-in actually exists but my recommendation would be to simply enjoy your music collection and you'll become more and more accustomed to their sound.

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 26
The AWKT is a technically-brilliant headphone, IMO; it's certainly one of the best closed-backs on the contemporary market.

Anyway, @Nostoi has written a detailed comparison of the AWKT, the AWAS, the AP2000Ti, and the WP900.

Aug 20, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 26
The AWKT is a technically-brilliant headphone, IMO; it's certainly one of the best closed-backs on the contemporary market.

Anyway, @Nostoi has written a detailed comparison of the AWKT, the AWAS, the AP2000Ti, and the WP900.

This is so true. " on the AWKT, the scene is more vivid but there’s a risk of being lost in detail rather than in the music." I can hear everything. It's nuts. I put them on and every time I smile... Wow all the detail and it's like being in the studio or on stage with the band etc.

I went from the Eather CX to the AWKT. I just hear things in songs I did not hear on the CX. It's made me go back and play songs over to hear them again.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 26

I think it's important to recognise that pad comfort might be dependent on head size and shape. I find comfort and seal on both my AWAS and AWKT is excellent with no seal issues. I also find there's not a great deal of difference between leather and synthetic pads in terms of function and comfort, except leather attracts less sweat.

Aug 20, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 26
I think it's important to recognise that pad comfort might be dependent on head size and shape. I find comfort and seal on both my AWAS and AWKT is excellent with no seal issues. I also find there's not a great deal of difference between leather and synthetic pads in terms of function and comfort, except leather attracts less sweat.
I like the ear pads that come on the AWKT. You have to make sure to rotate them correct so they are larger on the bottom than the top. Mine came the correct way. It could use maybe a little more padded on the head band.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #11 of 26
@Kelt0912, congrats on your purchase! The AWKT looks very beautiful and comfy. Do the earpads cover your ears?
Yes the ear pads cover my ears. The headphone is really comfy . Even when you look at the head band it still enough so the top does not miss spots and it feels nice. The clamping pressure could be a little more but it's ok.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 26
I finally got around at takening some pics of my AWKT. The sound and everything about them to me is top notch. The way the driver is so angled back into the ear and not flat on. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200822_231716_kindlephoto-116241024.jpg
    IMG_20200822_231716_kindlephoto-116241024.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200822_231154_kindlephoto-115988795.jpg
    IMG_20200822_231154_kindlephoto-115988795.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200822_231229_kindlephoto-116100903.jpg
    IMG_20200822_231229_kindlephoto-116100903.jpg
    986.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200822_231302_kindlephoto-116153295.jpg
    IMG_20200822_231302_kindlephoto-116153295.jpg
    1,009.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200822_231545_kindlephoto-116191415.jpg
    IMG_20200822_231545_kindlephoto-116191415.jpg
    856.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200822_231616.jpg
    IMG_20200822_231616.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200822_231328.jpg
    IMG_20200822_231328.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Nov 24, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #13 of 26
Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT.

Mini Review. - Revised

Let me start out by saying that few headphones can compete with this Audio Technica set regarding their ability to deliver Classical Music.
They are astounding in this regard.

IN the past, ive owned a number of AT Headphones. They only Pair i really enjoyed are the R70X.
Ive not, in general loved other A-Tech Cans, as i found them to be sizzly, "V"shaped, and uncomfortable.
I decided to buy this Ebony Wood set because i wanted to give the A-Tech "high end" sound a listen, and also because im a fan of Striped Ebony.

(this wood mades a lovely Acoustic Guitar back and sides.)
-
--------------------------------------
Here is the Play List and Equipment used for initial evaluation.

Equipment Used : Marantz CD-1 Player & RME ADI-2 DAC FX

Songs Used :

Roosevelt : "Montreal"
Paul McCartney & Wings : "Another Day"
Judith Hill : "You Can't Blame Me"
Marina : "To Be Human"
Keane : "Thread"
Lastings : "No Time"
Kate Rusby : "Until Morning
Azam Ali : "Hope" & "Phantoms"
Al Di Meola : "Strawberry Fields"
Judith Hill : "You Can't Blame Me"
"Circles Around The Sun" : "Babyman"
Ed Wynne. : "Shimmer into Nature"
Sarah Jarosz : " "Over The Edge"
Sierra Hull : "25 Trips"
Yanni - "Flight of Fantasy"
Cock Robin : "When Your Heart Is Weak"

---------------------------------------

The 1st thing i want you to know is that these cost a lot, and the unboxing moment is nearly worth their price. Its a fabulous experience.
The 2nd thing i want you to know about these Pretty Headphones, is that the inner driver Cup mesh touches your ears, very lightly.
The next thing i want you to know is that the detailed Bass response, is quite nice, in the context of how these Headphones project their overall created sound which is "light as a feather" precision.
The ATH-AWKT does not try to slam you to impress, Oh no.... What it does is impress you with its organic, balanced, and super resolving pristine sonics.

Treble : The Treble response is clean, light, clear, precise, airy. No sizzle and it will punish you if you play anything but well recorded music.

Midrange : Its slightly forward, its microscopic, and it will punish you if you play anything other then well recorded music.

Lower Mids : Relaxed to allow the impressive Mids to shine and the Treble emote very very impressive detail and upper Frq. precision..

Upper Bass : Relaxed to allow the impressive tho somewhat "woody" Mids to shine and the Treble to Lightly Sparkle

Bass : Balanced, detailed, but not large or thick. Fine Tuned to match the precision sound offered by the Mids and Treble.

Soundstage : 3D.. Very much like sitting in the middle, front row, listening to it Live. Its forward, , its in your head, and its wide.

Instrument Separation : Brilliant.

Timbre : Extremely Precise and Airy overall.

Comfort : Headphones are not heavy, and their head-feel is better then average due to a nicely redesigned for '2020 head-strap and frame.

Overall presentation of Sound : Delicate with Precision Detail as their point of View.

Who will love these : All who want "more details".
Who will not love these : All who need "more bass" and "warmer sound".

The wooden cups truly influence the sound signature of this expensive set of Headphones.
In some ways this helps the midrange to flourish and the trebles to speak.. However, the wood cup related dampening that influences the mids and trebles to shine, also significantly reduced the lower mids, and this creates the body of the sound to register as VERY LEAN SOUNDING, when you listen.
This set of headphones is not a lush round thick tone. Its actually quite the opposite.......as all frequencies from top to bottom have a unique airy-ness as their fundamental sonic signature.
Ive never previously heard anything like this inside a set of Headphone cups.
My several sets of ZMFs sound nothing like these Audio-Tech's., and recently i purchased a great set of OLLO's, which are smaller and wooden.
They sound not at all like the AudioTech's.
In all cases, never have i heard such an overall airy sonic texture of sound regarding all the frequencies, as provided by these Audio Technica's.
Everything about this Gear's sound is light and delicate.
Imagine bass response that sounds airy yet detailed.
Acoustic guitars shine, violins shine, Classical Music worships inside these Wooden Cups.....good vocals shine, drums and cymbals and percussion all sound amazing.

This set of headphones is created strictly for High Resolution Music replay.
If you play anything other then High REZ files or well recoreded CD's then the headphones will show you exactly how bad an MP3 really sounds.

Downside : Pricey. $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Ebony Cups are a satin and not a gloss finish.
Balanced and non-balanced cables are both extremely microphonic and too long.
-

PB240004.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #14 of 26
@Nostoi I was reading your comparison of the AWAS and AWKT. If I just want to have one, would the AWKT? I assume that the complaints about it being thin sounding is really source dependent? Would love to hear your thoughts. Jaben has a good price for the AWAS and the AWKT. Hence, trying to decide. Thank you So much!

Jun 12, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #15 of 26
@Nostoi I was reading your comparison of the AWAS and AWKT. If I just want to have one, would the AWKT? I assume that the complaints about it being thin sounding is really source dependent? Would love to hear your thoughts. Jaben has a good price for the AWAS and the AWKT. Hence, trying to decide. Thank you So much!
Hi there, it's been a while since I heard either (having since sold them). If I had one, it would likely be the AWKT but that would be dependent on me also not having headphones that, IMO, did what the AWKT but better (for example, I would say the HD800s has more refinement, precision and musicality than the AWKT on the open-back front; and I'd say the Rognir outperforms the AWKT on all levels).

That said, the AWKT is a very good headphone, but it's rather limited in its scope. For classical and some jazz, it's very good, but there's no chance you'd be listening to these for anything leaning in the rock/metal/pop/direction. To my memory/ears, I think they're tuned very well for Japanese music (which I'm sympathetic to). My complaint (again from memory) is that they were a bit dry (which, again, I wouldn't say about the HD800s). As for thinness, the AWKT is definitely not a bloomy headphone, but I wouldn't say thing - I'd say linear, with tight bass, linear mids, and an airy top end (though not really over bright).

The AWAS is a more versatile headphone and a bit all-rounder. It's a headphone I might consider buying again solely because of the textured mids (and I don't even consider myself a mids guy).

Very good headphones in each case, though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back