Audio Technica ATH-AWKT
Jul 5, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #16 of 26
The AWAS is a more versatile headphone and a bit all-rounder.
Do you feel LCD-X 2021 pretty much out-does AWAS for most everything?

I would like to try AWAS, LCD-X 2021 and WP900, but I rarely listen to classical and pure orchestral/acoustic, so I wonder how AWAS will do VS LCD-X. If AWAS offers a stronger, clearer, more energetic performance than HD600, I should like it.

Also - have we come up with any mods for getting better fittings pads on AWKT/AWAS yet..?

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #18 of 26
AWAS is dynamic driver? LCD-X has planar magnetic driver. Different throughout IMO.
Dynamic, yeah. I just got LCD-X 2021, it's definitely not a keeper for me. Great bass texture/reach/extension/impact, and great tonality, good detail, but there are annoying/fatiguing treble hotspot(s), and the general FR is too flat sounding, lacking mid & upper bass warmth. Sub-bass is great, though. I wish it had a more refined treble(better resolution, more effortless sound, no hotspots), better spatial performance, and more warmth & body in the low end.

My AWAS should be here any minute now. . . with AWKT pads ready to ROCK

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #19 of 26
Fellas,
As a owner of the AD2000 and ADX5000, I'm looking for a ATH closed that would be in between these two. Looking at AWAS and AWKT
And by that I mean the vocal magic of ad2000 with the technical performance of the adx5000.
With the frequency graphs alone I can't decide at all, but I would go towards AWKT more.
Opinions?

HPgraph.jpg

Feb 26, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #20 of 26
Fellas,
As a owner of the AD2000 and ADX5000, I'm looking for a ATH closed that would be in between these two. Looking at AWAS and AWKT
And by that I mean the vocal magic of ad2000 with the technical performance of the adx5000.
With the frequency graphs alone I can't decide at all, but I would go towards AWKT more.
Opinions?

I picked both of them up a few weeks ago. I don’t have the ad2000 (anyone want to sell me one?) but I do have the adx5000 and if you’re a fan of that brighter signature, definitely the AWKT. It is overall the most detailed of the two and to my ears is like a closed back 5000. the AWAS is way more fun though and one of the smoothest headphones to listen to and has honestly captured my heart. It reminds me of the LCD-5 in that it’s perfectly balanced, no extreme bass or highs, but with a swathe of coloring thrown on top making it feel richer, more dynamic and musical than the 5 which comes across to me as somewhat boring, mechanical and sterile. That said the AWKT is also a relaxing listen but those highs will kick in badly recorded tracks, but if you do get a good source it will really shine. I also disagree that it doesn’t work for rock/pop/hip-hop, the bass will growl when it is needed so it’s not a total snooze fest. 2001 by Dr. Dre still manages to thump well with good vocal presence, you’ll start deciphering lyrics that sometimes come across as mumbles in other headphones. I imagine it would be a good TV/Movie watching headphone if you constantly find yourself wondering what the actors just said! It’s really fun on ASMR videos as well, you’ll think the person is right there with you and with that natural wood sound, tapping, clicks and thumps all sound realistic and not digital or processed.

This is why it was so hard for me to pick one, they both have their strengths I just had to have both :) but fair warning they are more closer to each other than they are different even down to sound stage, so if you only have the budget for one, decide which is more important, detail clarity or a more relaxing sound, that is essentially the biggest dividing line.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #21 of 26
I picked both of them up a few weeks ago. I don’t have the ad2000 (anyone want to sell me one?) but I do have the adx5000 and if you’re a fan of that brighter signature, definitely the AWKT. It is overall the most detailed of the two and to my ears is like a closed back 5000. the AWAS is way more fun though and one of the smoothest headphones to listen to and has honestly captured my heart. It reminds me of the LCD-5 in that it’s perfectly balanced, no extreme bass or highs, but with a swathe of coloring thrown on top making it feel richer, more dynamic and musical than the 5 which comes across to me as somewhat boring, mechanical and sterile. That said the AWKT is also a relaxing listen but those highs will kick in badly recorded tracks, but if you do get a good source it will really shine. I also disagree that it doesn’t work for rock/pop/hip-hop, the bass will growl when it is needed so it’s not a total snooze fest. 2001 by Dr. Dre still manages to thump well with good vocal presence, you’ll start deciphering lyrics that sometimes come across as mumbles in other headphones. I imagine it would be a good TV/Movie watching headphone if you constantly find yourself wondering what the actors just said! It’s really fun on ASMR videos as well, you’ll think the person is right there with you and with that natural wood sound, tapping, clicks and thumps all sound realistic and not digital or processed.

This is why it was so hard for me to pick one, they both have their strengths I just had to have both :) but fair warning they are more closer to each other than they are different even down to sound stage, so if you only have the budget for one, decide which is more important, detail clarity or a more relaxing sound, that is essentially the biggest dividing line.
Thanks for the comparison
I will most likely end up buying the first one to pop up in the local used market, I don't plan to get brand new ones :sweat_smile:

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #22 of 26
Dynamic, yeah. I just got LCD-X 2021, it's definitely not a keeper for me. Great bass texture/reach/extension/impact, and great tonality, good detail, but there are annoying/fatiguing treble hotspot(s), and the general FR is too flat sounding, lacking mid & upper bass warmth. Sub-bass is great, though. I wish it had a more refined treble(better resolution, more effortless sound, no hotspots), better spatial performance, and more warmth & body in the low end.

My AWAS should be here any minute now. . . with AWKT pads ready to ROCK
here all bads of lcd-x was closed by lcd-2cb.

May 6, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #25 of 26
Nope but I do have my Meze Liric headphones going up for sale. They are on a entirely different level than the AWKT. :)
I've tried a variety of planar headphones, but the only type that really "click" for me are dynamic drivers. I think it might be age--the sound of dynamic speaker drivers has been all around me for 60 years and now just seems "right" to me. I think it's a case of conditioning--planars are technically superior but always sound a bit foreign to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back