Aune S17 pro
Apr 5, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #2,011 of 2,445
I was able to temporarily try out a Moon 430 HAD and compared it with the Aune s17 pro. I expected the Moon to perform much better compared to the Aune. To my great surprise I found the differences very small and on balance I thought the Aune sounded better! The Moon was a bit softer but also less dynamic in my system. The Moon costs approximately € 4000. This tells me a lot about the quality of the Aune. The Moon is much more solidly built and has more connection options, but I don't need any of that. All in all, the price difference can be explained, but I choose the Aune solely for the sound quality.

Attachments

• IMG_7802.jpg
    IMG_7802.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 0
Apr 5, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #2,012 of 2,445
Size is so relative. I'm very happy with Gustard R26. It's not Imo big, slightly bigger than Aune anyhow. Soundwise a great match with Aune, musical and detailed tubey like combo.
Agree that everything is relative. If space was a non-factor, I might well have saved another month or two for the R26, which appears to be a terrific unit. For better or worse, I live in a smallish studio apartment and my "desktop" is actually my kitchen table which contains the S17 and Denafrips Ares (stacked), my laptop, a mousepad (recently got a very small one which helps), three external HDs and a few small miscellaneous items (like a napkin holder, LOL). I shift things around for listening, eating, etc. and the R26 might have been barely possible to deal with, but would have been very difficult. Ditto for the Schiit Mjolnir 3 which I considered--and which I have yet to see directly compared to the S17. Hopefully Currawong (who has very favorably reviewed the Mjolnir) will do that when he gets around to his S17 review (hint, hint).

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #2,013 of 2,445
Agree that everything is relative. If space was a non-factor, I might well have saved another month or two for the R26, which appears to be a terrific unit. For better or worse, I live in a smallish studio apartment and my "desktop" is actually my kitchen table which contains the S17 and Denafrips Ares (stacked), my laptop, a mousepad (recently got a very small one which helps), three external HDs and a few small miscellaneous items (like a napkin holder, LOL). I shift things around for listening, eating, etc. and the R26 might have been barely possible to deal with, but would have been very difficult. Ditto for the Schiit Mjolnir 3 which I considered--and which I have yet to see directly compared to the S17. Hopefully Currawong (who has very favorably reviewed the Mjolnir) will do that when he gets around to his S17 review (hint, hint).
I understand. When space is small every cm is important. I myself have a small "music room" and have to think quite carefully what is and where is it.
Schiit really makes very compact products. On the other hand they might be audio service's nightmare. I left Jotunheim R yesterday for service. Hopefully it comes out as new.

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #2,014 of 2,445
I think Passion for Sound has the S17 for review and in his review of the MJ3 he said that the latter it's considerable better in comparison in the sound quality department, still have to wait for his review of the unit. I'm still considering the MJ3, the problem for me it's that the MJ3 tho it might prove to be a better sound wise, it's not more powerful than the S17, this is important for me in case I decide to get a pair of ModHouse Tungsten

Apr 5, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #2,015 of 2,445
I think Passion for Sound has the S17 for review and in his review of the MJ3 he said that the latter it's considerable better in comparison in the sound quality department, still have to wait for his review of the unit. I'm still considering the MJ3, the problem for me it's that the MJ3 tho it might prove to be a better sound wise, it's not more powerful than the S17, this is important for me in case I decide to get a pair of ModHouse Tungsten
It's also a question of synergy and personal tastes. It might be quite difficult to assess, if you don't know a certain reviewer well enough and if considerably different gear is used compared to one's own. But this in mind, at least I have had great help for equipment buying decisions from other people's reviews and comments.

Apr 5, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #2,016 of 2,445
It doesn't surprise me that he thinks the MJ3 is better than the S17, after all the MJ3 is more expensive. :wink: Has Passion for Sound ever rated a cheaper product better than a more expensive one?

Apr 5, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #2,017 of 2,445
It doesn't surprise me that he thinks the MJ3 is better than the S17, after all the MJ3 is more expensive. :wink: Has Passion for Sound ever rated a cheaper product better than a more expensive one?
Not that I'm aware of.

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #2,018 of 2,445
I liked him at one time and still listen to his reviews on occasion, but his channel has pretty much become a commercial (which he is up front about with an explicit disclaimer that his reviews include paid promotion). Plus, he regularly reviews cables (all kinds, even USB cables) exactly as if they were transducers. I'm sure I'm about to offend someone. but even if this is not pure snake oil (and I tend in that direction, though remain agnostic) I can't believe that any differences between cables that are competently built with decent materials are anywhere near as noticeable as he claims. This may be unfair, but it's soured me on all his work.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #2,019 of 2,445
Can you put it in the high gain on your amp and see if the temps hold or rise and by how much?
Sure, when I do it (probably tomorrow) I will let you know.

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #2,020 of 2,445
Plus, he regularly reviews cables (all kinds, even USB cables) exactly as if they were transducers. I'm sure I'm about to offend someone. but even if this is not pure snake oil (and I tend in that direction, though remain agnostic) I can't believe that any differences between cables that are competently built with decent materials are anywhere near as noticeable as he claims.
There was a short but considerable period last year where I was trying to figure out whether cables actually matter as much as they say they do. I just concluded that if it's got all the right channels, if it's got good enough shielding, and if it's got good enough build quality, I can't really justify spending three figures unless it is very, very niche. There are plenty of good cables out there that you can get for under £50, and even £50 is pushing it -- but of course when it comes to custom cables into headphones, I suppose most of the cost comes from labour and care rather than actual cost of materials (unless, again, you're asking for something niche). Maybe I'm rambling and completely wrong!

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #2,021 of 2,445
There was a short but considerable period last year where I was trying to figure out whether cables actually matter as much as they say they do. I just concluded that if it's got all the right channels, if it's got good enough shielding, and if it's got good enough build quality, I can't really justify spending three figures unless it is very, very niche. There are plenty of good cables out there that you can get for under £50, and even £50 is pushing it -- but of course when it comes to custom cables into headphones, I suppose most of the cost comes from labour and care rather than actual cost of materials (unless, again, you're asking for something niche). Maybe I'm rambling and completely wrong!
Well, I should disclose that I am probably going to soon spend three figures (starting with a 2, so it's exorbitant but not ridiculous) on a new headphone cable for my new Hifiman HEK Stealth. But it's solely for nice looks and ergonomics; I expect zero difference in sound quality. I'm currently using the balanced 4.4 Audiophile Ninja cable that I used with the Arya Stealth, which I traded to Hifiman to upgrade to the HEK Stealth. That's a perfectly fine cable that cost around $70 IIRC, I just feel like a snazzier cable to go along with my snazzy new headphones. (BTW, Hifiman charged me $705 plus the Arya for the $1400 HEK Stealth, which I think was a pretty good deal considering they recently lowered the price on a brand new Arya Stealth to $759 and the HEK was $3K not that long ago. I'm very pleased with the HEK Stealth--I was looking for a more prominent and dynamic bass and better resolution and imaging and the HEK's superiority over the Arya Stealth in these areas is immediately apparent and more significant than I expected.)

Apr 5, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #2,022 of 2,445
Well, I should disclose that I am probably going to soon spend three figures (starting with a 2, so it's exorbitant but not ridiculous) on a new headphone cable for my new Hifiman HEK Stealth. But it's solely for nice looks and ergonomics; I expect zero difference in sound quality.
yes, completely agree -- if you buy a headphone cable because it looks nice, it's your money end of the day, and you're not getting scammed as you would be with the (many) snake oil merchants that are rampant in this hobby. I've also considered getting a new cable for my LCD-2C, maybe one with an XLR plug as XLR seem to be standard on balanced amps but not necessarily 4.4mm, but again this would be three figures and probably way later on in the line :) I think I use a chinese 4.4mm cable that the previous owner got off Amazon, only around £35, still very well made (I have accidentally ran over it with my chair numerous times with zero issues) and sounds good to me, and ultimately that's all that matters

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #2,023 of 2,445
yes, completely agree -- if you buy a headphone cable because it looks nice, it's your money end of the day, and you're not getting scammed as you would be with the (many) snake oil merchants that are rampant in this hobby. I've also considered getting a new cable for my LCD-2C, maybe one with an XLR plug as XLR seem to be standard on balanced amps but not necessarily 4.4mm, but again this would be three figures and probably way later on in the line :) I think I use a chinese 4.4mm cable that the previous owner got off Amazon, only around £35, still very well made (I have accidentally ran over it with my chair numerous times with zero issues) and sounds good to me, and ultimately that's all that matters
you can buy a 4.4mm cable and an adapter to xlr, that's what I do with my LCD2Cs

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #2,024 of 2,445
you can buy a 4.4mm cable and an adapter to xlr, that's what I do with my LCD2Cs
Actually that is exactly what I did--when I bought the 4.4 Audiophile Ninja cable, I bought a 4.4 to XLR adaptor from them to go with it since I was still using the Liquid Platinum amp that had XLR but not 4.4 (the Gustard H16 in my TV setup has both; the FiiO Q7 by my bed has 4.4 but not XLR). Since the S17 has a 4.4 output (and I still use the other two), I don't need the adapter ATM.

Apr 6, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #2,025 of 2,445
Sorry, it's a little bit off-topic but only a short story:

I recently attended a "workshop" at a dealer near me. A salesman from Ansuz has gradually changed various cables (power cable, interconnects, speaker cables) from “cheap” (also “cheap” cables from Ansuz are expensive) to “expensive” in a system. The procedure was like this: song #1 (unknown, at least to me), song #1 again after replacing a cable with an more expensive one, song #2 (also unknown) without change in the system, song #2 again after replacing another cable with an more expensive one, and so forth ...

Personally, I could never really hear a difference beyond imagination. I suspect that the tactic was that when listening to an unknown song you always notice more details the second time than the first time, and then attribute this to the cable...

What irritates me, however, is that so many people in the hifi scene are so convinced that cables make a difference... I want to do another test myself with different speaker cables. I've already got the material, now I just have to find the time to build it and then listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back