Aune S17 pro
Apr 3, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #1,981 of 2,279
I just ordered the S17 Pro. I bought it to use as my TV amp in my family room...I know overkill. It will be fed by a cheapy dac, the Eversolo DMP-A8. I am clinically deaf so I prefer a thin, highly technical and neutral amp, but for movies a little lushness with my DCA E3 headphones will be fine. As for heat, I cook my eggs every morning on top of my Enleum 23R so heat is fine (and normal for class A). I need the pre-amp of the DMP-A8 and the power of the S17 pro to give me sufficient volume. On occassion I listen to music in my family room and use Roon as my music source. I have both the Dave/mScaler combo and also use HQ player (which is how I'll feed music to my family room). For the price, the S17 Pro is a no-brainer for me.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #1,982 of 2,279
I just ordered the S17 Pro. I bought it to use as my TV amp in my family room...I know overkill. It will be fed by a cheapy dac, the Eversolo DMP-A8. I am clinically deaf so I prefer a thin, highly technical and neutral amp, but for movies a little lushness with my DCA E3 headphones will be fine. As for heat, I cook my eggs every morning on top of my Enleum 23R so heat is fine (and normal for class A). I need the pre-amp of the DMP-A8 and the power of the S17 pro to give me sufficient volume. On occassion I listen to music in my family room and use Roon as my music source. I have both the Dave/mScaler combo and also use HQ player (which is how I'll feed music to my family room). For the price, the S17 Pro is a no-brainer for me.
Pro Aune salutes you!

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #1,984 of 2,279
Just got Aune S17 Pro, paired with ZMF Bokeh. Sounds amazing.

Anyway, I get "the cable problem".
If I use Bokeh's cable (XLR 4 pin, I believe it's OFC copper) there are no hiss at 100 ma mode.
However, I bought ddhifi BC150XLR (XLR 4 pin, it's silver, silver plated copper, and copper. It's quite complex), there is slight hiss at 100 ma mode. If I play song, the hiss is not noticable, so it is OK.

So far, I am very happy with S17 Pro.

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #1,985 of 2,279
Just got Aune S17 Pro, paired with ZMF Bokeh. Sounds amazing.

Anyway, I get "the cable problem".
If I use Bokeh's cable (XLR 4 pin, I believe it's OFC copper) there are no hiss at 100 ma mode.
However, I bought ddhifi BC150XLR (XLR 4 pin, it's silver, silver plated copper, and copper. It's quite complex), there is slight hiss at 100 ma mode. If I play song, the hiss is not noticable, so it is OK.

So far, I am very happy with S17 Pro.
This is new to be frank, the issues that have been presenting with this amp was mainly very long and not well insulated cables causing the amp's temps to go up, but as far as I can remember, different cables where not introducing hiss or background noise.

I had a cheap amazon cable for my focal elegia and this was causing a channel imbalance I think the left cup of this headphone, change to another cable and the channel imbalance was gone. ddhifi makes really high quality products, if you can, try using that cable with another headphone and see if you can replicate this issue.

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #1,986 of 2,279
This is new to be frank, the issues that have been presenting with this amp was mainly very long and not well insulated cables causing the amp's temps to go up, but as far as I can remember, different cables where not introducing hiss or background noise.

I had a cheap amazon cable for my focal elegia and this was causing a channel imbalance I think the left cup of this headphone, change to another cable and the channel imbalance was gone. ddhifi makes really high quality products, if you can, try using that cable with another headphone and see if you can replicate this issue.

I have tried my friend's headphone, Fiio JT1 ($69, 32-ohm), using the ddhifi cable. The background noise more prominent and un-listenable, so I switch back to the stock cable (unbalanced) and the noise gone. I have assumption that the balanced output is too high-gain for Fiio JT1.

I'll try with the ZMF's stock cable thru XLR output.

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #1,987 of 2,279
I have tried my friend's headphone, Fiio JT1 ($69, 32-ohm), using the ddhifi cable. The background noise more prominent and un-listenable, so I switch back to the stock cable (unbalanced) and the noise gone. I have assumption that the balanced output is too high-gain for Fiio JT1.

I'll try with the ZMF's stock cable thru XLR output.
Are you connecting it to the 4.4mm jack or the 4-pin XLR?

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #1,988 of 2,279
Are you connecting it to the 4.4mm jack or the 4-pin XLR?
XLR 4 pin

Edit: anyway, I can try another S17 pro in my local retailer store, to check if my S17 pro is defect or not.

Edit2: Fiio JT1 with ZMF's stock cable (XLR 4 pin) no background noise. Totally dead silent.
Also I already checked with multi-meter. No signal leaking from each channel.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #1,989 of 2,279
Hello guys, I just purchased my S17, firmware updated to linear volume knob and I have a question especially for those of you who own this amp with planars. I have mixed feelings about power output of my S17, have it connected balanced to my Edition XS's and on high gain and volume at 40 it is about my listening volume of most music genres and songs (classical, country, pop, rock, folk). At 50 it is louder but not annoying, at 55 it starts to be a bit annoying and at 62 it's pretty much unbearable. Still with all what I read about the amp, it's power and possibility to drive Susvaras with ease I get an impression, that on my planars the power output seems somewhat low and the "unbearable" moment should come much earlier on the volume scale. Can you please share your experience on this matter? Also my impression is that hi-gain is hearable from the low gain but is not a huge difference, more like a moderate difference. I must state that I do not suffer from hearing loss... 😀

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #1,990 of 2,279
Hello guys, I just purchased my S17, firmware updated to linear volume knob and I have a question especially for those of you who own this amp with planars. I have mixed feelings about power output of my S17, have it connected balanced to my Edition XS's and on high gain and volume at 40 it is about my listening volume of most music genres and songs (classical, country, pop, rock, folk). At 50 it is louder but not annoying, at 55 it starts to be a bit annoying and at 62 it's pretty much unbearable. Still with all what I read about the amp, it's power and possibility to drive Susvaras with ease I get an impression, that on my planars the power output seems somewhat low and the "unbearable" moment should come much earlier on the volume scale. Can you please share your experience on this matter? I must state that I do not suffer from hearing loss... 😀
Might the DAC output offer an explanation for this. Imo Edition xs should be heard a lot louder if DAC output is balanced and connected to Aune input balanced.
These high volumes 55+ are needed with Raal Ca-1a, but it's even more power hungry than Susvara I suppose. Xs should be in 28-32 level all balanced .

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #1,991 of 2,279
Might the DAC output offer an explanation for this. Imo Edition xs should be heard a lot louder if DAC output is balanced and connected to Aune input balanced.
These high volumes 55+ are needed with Raal Ca-1a, but it's even more power hungry than Susvara I suppose. Xs should be in 28-32 level all balanced .
Thank you, that is what I think also. What kind of testing should I do to find where the "problem" is?

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #1,992 of 2,279
Thank you, that is what I think also. What kind of testing should I do to find where the "problem" is?
Try another dac, maybe? I also found that using smsl d400 ex need extra volume in s17, compared with smsl su-9 ultra

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #1,994 of 2,279
XLR 4 pin

Edit: anyway, I can try another S17 pro in my local retailer store, to check if my S17 pro is defect or not.

Edit2: Fiio JT1 with ZMF's stock cable (XLR 4 pin) no background noise. Totally dead silent.
Also I already checked with multi-meter. No signal leaking from each channel.
So it seems it was the cable.
Hello guys, I just purchased my S17, firmware updated to linear volume knob and I have a question especially for those of you who own this amp with planars. I have mixed feelings about power output of my S17, have it connected balanced to my Edition XS's and on high gain and volume at 40 it is about my listening volume of most music genres and songs (classical, country, pop, rock, folk). At 50 it is louder but not annoying, at 55 it starts to be a bit annoying and at 62 it's pretty much unbearable. Still with all what I read about the amp, it's power and possibility to drive Susvaras with ease I get an impression, that on my planars the power output seems somewhat low and the "unbearable" moment should come much earlier on the volume scale. Can you please share your experience on this matter? Also my impression is that hi-gain is hearable from the low gain but is not a huge difference, more like a moderate difference. I must state that I do not suffer from hearing loss... 😀
I have an Audeze LCD2C and have tried out a HE400SE on my S17, I have noticed that once you reach 56 on the volume level it gets extremely loud, even with the upgraded volume pot firmware, but for me in particular, 48 or 50 it's about as much as I'm willing to go on the volume on high gain, 100ma mode and I don't feel that the amp it's lacking in dynamics or punch.

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #1,995 of 2,279
Made the test. Volume 63 / HI-GAIN / RCA from my JDS ODAC sounds like volume 45 / HI-GAIN / XLR from my Pegasus DAC (that the initial statement was about). What does that mean?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back