Aune S17 pro
Apr 6, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #2,026 of 2,360
I've been using first Tidal and then Qobuz with streamers for years. About a week ago I started to use Qobuz with laptop and astonished the diminishing hard disk space. I had about 17,6 Gb in Qobuz cache files today which I deleted.
My question is that might it be possible to prohibit these cache files from coming via streaming. Thanks!

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #2,027 of 2,360
you can buy a 4.4mm cable and an adapter to xlr, that's what I do with my LCD2Cs
would that affect the sound at all? I always had the idea that where possible, always try to use plugs attached to the cable itself rather than an adapter as it may negatively affect how it sounds... but this could also be another one of those snake oil moments that have gotten to me!

Personally, I could never really hear a difference beyond imagination. I suspect that the tactic was that when listening to an unknown song you always notice more details the second time than the first time, and then attribute this to the cable...

What irritates me, however, is that so many people in the hifi scene are so convinced that cables make a difference... I want to do another test myself with different speaker cables. I've already got the material, now I just have to find the time to build it and then listen.
I think this is exactly it -- it's the same for me with 'burn-in' periods on headphones or amplifiers. I don't think they exist, it's just a waste of electricity keeping an amp, DAC and source turned on for that long. how your brain perceives sound is always different person to person, and very often you notice new details in tracks on even cheap £10 earphones, because your brain is only now processing it. those details were always there!

I am no biology expert, but I really think cable snake oil merchants harp on placebo effects. when you're told this cable is very expensive and it will completely change how you listen to music, of course you mentally prepare yourself and tell yourself you're noticing new details. but this is a non sequitur argument -- you're noticing new details because you're now looking for it, regardless of whether the cable is £10 or £100.

funnily enough, I had a similar experience with the 50 MA and 100 MA option on the S17 Pro -- I can't for the life of me tell a difference even when switching back and forth while listening to music, but from the reviews I read online they insisted there was a massive difference. maybe my brain is just not ready to hear it yet!

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #2,028 of 2,360
it's the same for me with 'burn-in' periods on headphones or amplifiers. I don't think they exist, it's just a waste of electricity
I had a chance to compare burned-in and new headphones twice with 2 different models - the AKG K712 Pro and the ATH MSR7B. I A/B-ed them, the only difference I heard was the bass - it was a little deeper and thicker on the old ones. And I'm sure it was due to formed pads causing a slightly different sealing. That's it.
Maybe it would be different with open planars for instance...

funnily enough, I had a similar experience with the 50 MA and 100 MA option on the S17 Pro -- I can't for the life of me tell a difference even when switching back and forth while listening to music, but from the reviews I read online they insisted there was a massive difference. maybe my brain is just not ready to hear it yet!
Difference isn't massive, but it's there. For me 50mA sounds a little more congested, less spacious, less thick, and not as full. But it's not like it was a completely different unit or something :) I personally hear more of a difference when switching between the OS and NOS modes in the EF400. Especially when I'd plug headphones directly.

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #2,030 of 2,360
Just a first observation about my S17 temp control - after 6 hours of nonstop playback at volume 42 on low-gain and 100mA mode, the temp is firmly stabilized at 63° C, amp being sit on a 25 mm tall aluminium stands, 23° C room temp, no active or passive cooling involved. I guess that is a good outcome.
Update: turning my S17 to a HI-GAIN does not affect the maximum reached temp (as described above). Even though the 63° C seems to be an operating temp on 100mA mode, my OCD would probably like to see the temp bellow 60° so eventually I will stick a passive aluminium radiator to the bottom of the unit which will help to reduce few degrees (as someone here already did).

rad.png

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #2,031 of 2,360
No sure if this has already been covered, but have anyone stuck a power meter between the S17 Pro and the wall socket and monitored how it behaves? Max load constantly, or does the amount of power it draws change with volume/load?
How much power does it draw?
Just curious :)

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #2,032 of 2,360
No sure if this has already been covered, but have anyone stuck a power meter between the S17 Pro and the wall socket and monitored how it behaves? Max load constantly, or does the amount of power it draws change with volume/load?
How much power does it draw?
Just curious :)
Actually I did not long ago:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aune-s17-pro.970060/page-115#post-18009590

Being Class A, it is fully on all the time so the power doesn't change with volume/load, only temperature changes as it warms up.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #2,033 of 2,360
Yep, the volume dial it's kind of crap, this is why I use the remote instead, much better control of the volume that way.

To change the battery you need an hex key to do that, maybe @AuneAudio could tell us what size exactly. Another problem with the amp is that it's extremely sensitive to other FLIR sources, I notice that when I use the remote for my active speakers, the volume would also go up or down on my amp, so that's a little bit annoying.

I also think that a DAC upgrade for me it's up next rather than an amp upgrade, I'm looking at the Holo Audio Cyan 2 or Cayin's new iDAP-8 for this upgrade, people have been recommending an R2R DAC to pair with this amp in particular.
@ngohw Hi, the remote battery is CR1220; Please use a T6 screwdriver.

1712467887170.png

aune For music we design. Stay updated on aune at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/auneaudioofficial https://twitter.com/auneaudio https://www.instagram.com/auneaudio http://www.auneaudio.com sales@auneaudio.com
Apr 7, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #2,034 of 2,360
Apr 7, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #2,035 of 2,360
I liked him at one time and still listen to his reviews on occasion, but his channel has pretty much become a commercial (which he is up front about with an explicit disclaimer that his reviews include paid promotion). Plus, he regularly reviews cables (all kinds, even USB cables) exactly as if they were transducers. I'm sure I'm about to offend someone. but even if this is not pure snake oil (and I tend in that direction, though remain agnostic) I can't believe that any differences between cables that are competently built with decent materials are anywhere near as noticeable as he claims. This may be unfair, but it's soured me on all his work.
Have you ever done any comparisons of different cables yourself? The differences are often obvious. Sometimes very subtle. Always "different" if you really listen close enough and have a revealing system.

I find Passion For Sound, Wave Theory, iiWi, etc. (Sound-Advice is still good but slightly more positive about everything) are all very honest and are doing us a great service to navigate our immense choices in this arena (Topping must have 100 current products and HiFiMan 40 different versions of its headphones over the last 3 years).
Passion For Sound did highly recommend the $125 Supra Excalibur USB cable over any others, including contenders that are much more expensive. He also like things like the $800 Schitt Bifrost 2/64 in comparison to $1500 DACs from Denefrips, Gustard, and even Chord. iiWi has a high opinion of the $500 Geshelli J2S DAC with Sparkos op amps. Wave Theory raves about the $2,000 HiFiMan HE1000SE and places it well above all comers including Tungsten Dual and Meze Elite up to Susvara and Senn Utopia ( I listened to some of these at CanJam and agree. I parked mt Nanos and bought the HEKSE).

How do we come here and argue over which amp sounds better or endlessly cry about the difference in sound between 50ma and 100ma (which it does sound different. But not necessarily worse in my opinion and is less different than between various USB cables, headphone cables, DACs and amps), and then imply that these excellent reviewers are biased and in the pocket of the high end manufactures by not saying that all decent cables sound the same?

cables comparisons.jpg

Apr 7, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #2,036 of 2,360
Have you ever done any comparisons of different cables yourself? The differences are often obvious. Sometimes very subtle. Always "different" if you really listen close enough and have a revealing system.

I find Passion For Sound, Wave Theory, iiWi, etc. (Sound-Advice is still good but slightly more positive about everything) are all very honest and are doing us a great service to navigate our immense choices in this arena (Topping must have 100 current products and HiFiMan 40 different versions of its headphones over the last 3 years).
Passion For Sound did highly recommend the $125 Supra Excalibur USB cable over any others, including contenders that are much more expensive. He also like things like the $800 Schitt Bifrost 2/64 in comparison to $1500 DACs from Denefrips, Gustard, and even Chord. iiWi has a high opinion of the $500 Geshelli J2S DAC with Sparkos op amps. Wave Theory raves about the $2,000 HiFiMan HE1000SE and places it well above all comers including Tungsten Dual and Meze Elite up to Susvara and Senn Utopia ( I listened to some of these at CanJam and agree. I parked mt Nanos and bought the HEKSE).

How do we come here and argue over which amp sounds better or endlessly cry about the difference in sound between 50ma and 100ma (which it does sound different. But not necessarily worse in my opinion and is less different than between various USB cables, headphone cables, DACs and amps), and then imply that these excellent reviewers are biased and in the pocket of the high end manufactures by not saying that all decent cables sound the same?

I should clarify that I consider Passion For Sound's cable reviews to be sincere, I just think that most of this is snake oil and we'll have to agree to disagree. (FWIW, Wave Theory references SQ on cables frequently and he remains one of my most trusted reviewers even if I take those reviews with a few grains of salt. There's just something about Passion For Sound that I find off-putting, though I'm not sure I can put my finger on it.) But I will be able to put this to a small scale test soon: I just ordered a $275 USD 4.4mm cable from Norne for my new Hifiman HEK Stealth. When it comes in (and I believe there's a substantial lag time) I'll test it against my current $70 4.4mm cable from Audiophile Ninja. As I noted earlier, I got the Norne cable, which looks quite spiffy, entirely for aesthetic reasons--Audiophile Ninja keeps prices down by offering no options other than amp connector and length (like the Ford Model T, you can have it in any color you like as long as it's black). I'll report back on results (unfortunately, it will not be a blind test), though it will likely be a couple of months.

BTW, I justified the purchase of the Norne cable to myself with financial logic worthy of Richard Carstone (you'll know what I mean if you read Dickens' Bleak House--and everybody should, it's a wonderful novel and one of my favorites). Since I had been planning to spend $1400 on the HEK Stealth, but ended up upgrading with Hifiman for my Arya Stealth and $705, I figured I had $695 of "free" money. (And that's why I'm 70 and still poor.)

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #2,037 of 2,360
I should clarify that I consider Passion For Sound's cable reviews to be sincere, I just think that most of this is snake oil and we'll have to agree to disagree. (FWIW, Wave Theory references SQ on cables frequently and he remains one of my most trusted reviewers even if I take those reviews with a few grains of salt. There's just something about Passion For Sound that I find off-putting, though I'm not sure I can put my finger on it.) But I will be able to put this to a small scale test soon: I just ordered a $275 USD 4.4mm cable from Norne for my new Hifiman HEK Stealth. When it comes in (and I believe there's a substantial lag time) I'll test it against my current $70 4.4mm cable from Audiophile Ninja. As I noted earlier, I got the Norne cable, which looks quite spiffy, entirely for aesthetic reasons--Audiophile Ninja keeps prices down by offering no options other than amp connector and length (like the Ford Model T, you can have it in any color you like as long as it's black). I'll report back on results (unfortunately, it will not be a blind test), though it will likely be a couple of months.

BTW, I justified the purchase of the Norne cable to myself with financial logic worthy of Richard Carstone (you'll know what I mean if you read Dickens' Bleak House--and everybody should, it's a wonderful novel and one of my favorites). Since I had been planning to spend $1400 on the HEK Stealth, but ended up upgrading with Hifiman for my Arya Stealth and $705, I figured I had $695 of "free" money. (And that's why I'm 70 and still poor.)
I looked at the Norne headphone cables yesterday and they seem like they should be excellent. I'm using these $200 Pure Sliver cables with my HE1000SEs and am not inclined to try anything else right now. They are extremely fast transparent and detailed. The Norne Vygard Fusion are heavier gauge but $360 and the Pure Silver are $890.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115714280141

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #2,038 of 2,360
I looked at the Norne headphone cables yesterday and they seem like they should be excellent. I'm using these $200 Pure Sliver cables with my HE1000SEs and am not inclined to try anything else right now. They are extremely fast transparent and detailed. The Norne Vygard Fusion are heavier gauge but $360 and the Pure Silver are $890.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115714280141
Which is why I bought the OCC copper, base price $259 IIRC.

Apr 7, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #2,039 of 2,360
has anyone here used the Musician Pegasus with the S17 Pro? if so, how is it? seems to be easier to get a hold of in the UK second hand...

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #2,040 of 2,360

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back