Best of the Best: Meet the Apos Ray 6SN7 Reserve Vacuum Tube
Feb 24, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #61 of 129
So, I had a 6 hour listening session last night, and let's just say first impressions are very very promising. In fact, I am completely blown away! :astonished:

The Apos RAY Reserve 6SN7 is legit folks, and I will be doing a full review soon, but for now I just wanted to give some first impressions. Apos recommends at least 6 hours of burn-in to get optimal sound, and I got there last night. :grin: The 6 hours were spent listening by the way, as once I started they sounded so good I just couldn't stop. I actually got goosebumps within the first 5 seconds of listening, so that should tell you something. :wink:

The bass is super present when called for, and goes deep, is super powerful and tight, with excellent detail and texture. This is first class bass that is powerful but doesn't get in the way, and will surely satisfy bassheads. The mids are super clean/transparent and open, with detail, and texture through the roof. Vocals are hauntingly lifelike, and sound as good as I have ever heard them, and I am all about the vocals by the way. The highs are also very extended and airy, with detail and nuances galore, yet never get harsh or too bright. The staging is seriously impressive being super expansive and holographic, with excellent separation and layering. The Apos Ray Reserve 6SN7 has all the nuances and more, that I usually only hear with the "better" NOS tubes, and Apos really nailed it out of the park with this tube.

As mentioned, a full review is coming, and I will be doing comparisons to some of my favorite NOS tubes, as well as some New Production 6SN7's. For now, it's back to musical bliss and learning what this tube is all about. . .

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #62 of 129
So, I had a 6 hour listening session last night, and let's just say first impressions are very very promising. In fact, I am completely blown away! :astonished:

The Apos RAY Reserve 6SN7 is legit folks, and I will be doing a full review soon, but for now I just wanted to give some first impressions. Apos recommends at least 6 hours of burn-in to get optimal sound, and I got there last night. :grin: The 6 hours were spent listening by the way, as once I started they sounded so good I just couldn't stop. I actually got goosebumps within the first 5 seconds of listening, so that should tell you something. :wink:

The bass is super present when called for, and goes deep, is super powerful and tight, with excellent detail and texture. This is first class bass that is powerful but doesn't get in the way, and will surely satisfy bassheads. The mids are super clean/transparent and open, with detail, and texture through the roof. Vocals are hauntingly lifelike, and sound as good as I have ever heard them, and I am all about the vocals by the way. The highs are also very extended and airy, with detail and nuances galore, yet never get harsh or too bright. The staging is seriously impressive being super expansive and holographic, with excellent separation and layering. The Apos Ray Reserve 6SN7 has all the nuances and more, that I usually only hear with the "better" NOS tubes, and Apos really nailed it out of the park with this tube.

As mentioned, a full review is coming, and I will be doing comparisons to some of my favorite NOS tubes, as well as some New Production 6SN7's. For now, it's back to musical bliss and learning what this tube is all about. . .
Do you have Melz for a comparison?
Those first impressions sound very promising

Feb 24, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #63 of 129
Do you have Melz for a comparison?
Those first impressions sound very promising
I had the Melz, and sold them a while back as they sounded artificial, thin and holo in the mids. The Melz do have fantastic separation and holographic staging, and the Apos Ray Reserve does all that without being thin and artificial sounding. The Reserve is on another level in all regards in my opinion.

Feb 24, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #64 of 129
I had the Melz, and sold them a while back as they sounded artificial, thin and holo in the mids. The Melz do have fantastic separation and holographic staging, and the Apos Ray Reserve does all that without being thin and artificial sounding. The Reserve is on another level in all regards in my opinion.
Well Fedex should hurry up, my pair should have been delivered on wednesday already 😭

Feb 24, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #65 of 129
Well Fedex should hurry up, my pair should have been delivered on wednesday already 😭
Nice! Curious, what driver tubes are you currently using in your Envy?

Sorry to hear about the delay, and it seems all shipping companies are having issues these days.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #66 of 129
Nice! Curious, what driver tubes are you currently using in your Envy?

Sorry to hear about the delay, and it seems all shipping companies are having issues these days.
Currently I use the Linlai E-6SN7 Elite, which are for me the ones to beat.

Prior to that I used the Apos Ray12AU7, which were also quite to my liking.

The issue with Fedex right now is, that every day I receive the message "could not be delivered" without anyone even trying.

Feb 24, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #67 of 129

The issue with Fedex right now is, that every day I receive the message "could not be delivered" without anyone even trying.
Got ya, and I have not heard the LinLai Elite, but I have been told by people I trust, that they are one of the better New Production 6SN7's, so that should be a great comparison.

I feel your frustration, and I have had issues with UPS doing the same thing recently as well as USPS. I really hope they all get their crap together. I worked closely with that Industry for 10 years, and it kept getting worse, and especially within the last 3 years. It's so bad now, it can hopefully only get better eventually. . .

Feb 24, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #68 of 129

ThanatosVI, what power tubes do you think pair best with the Linlai E-6SN7 Elite on your Envy?

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #69 of 129
ThanatosVI, what power tubes do you think pair best with the Linlai E-6SN7 Elite on your Envy?
From m tubes it's Certainly the Elrog ER300B. That tube is simply a League above the rest.

However if you crave soundstage above all, then the Fullmusic 300B that came with the performance Edition, is my recommended tube

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #70 of 129
@Apos Audio Now that you have responded to some appropriate questions/concerns by getting real world samples out there, I think it is more than appropriate to address the elephant in the room which you have ignored after being asked earlier in this thread, which is, any information in regards to the actual manufacturing process, not the selection process after the "commissioned" tubes have been provided, although, these details are quite vague too.

It is appropriate for many reasons, but one of the most important imo is from an ethical business standpoint, not only because of the price point at which you are selling these tubes at, but also due to the way at which Apos advertises them; "...next-level sound reproduction", "...the elite tier of our Ray lineup, notable for audiophile-grade sound quality", "A significant upgrade over standard NOS tubes", "...designed to elevate hifi devices to new heights", etc, etc.

Without sharing any secret proprietary manufacturing processes of course, can you not provide at least some details in regards to where these tubes are manufactured, and how the manufacturing process which you have "commissioned" has achieved such great engineering success that gives you the ability to make such amazing claims, as well as setting an even more amazing price point.

I can't help but think (and I am sure I am not alone) the only reason a company would ignore sharing any sort of details on this is to hide something - especially when you advertise the tubes (or any product a company is selling) as some new level and state of the art masterpiece that is truly one of a kind and in a league of its own. In situations where this is actually the case, the company provides these types of details with pride, as they rightly should/can due to what they've achieved. Since it seems Apos is extremely proud of these tubes and what you have achieved, I don't see why these details are shrouded in complete mystery - what gives?

I am certain many other potential customers would love to be provided these types of details - this community (tube collectors/rollers) is extremely particular when it comes to these types of details, it is just in our nature - so to have no idea where a tube was made is a huge road block for many of us to take the plunge at buying a tube, especially when the price is so high.

Feb 24, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #71 of 129
What vintage of 1578? The 70s and 80s versions fit that description. However the ones I have from the 50s and early 60s are not thin or hollow, but rich, sweet with great details and phenomenal soundstage. Maybe I should send you one of my '57s or '63s. Or even better, send me one of your Apos Ray Reserved. :ksc75smile:

Feb 24, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #72 of 129

I’m also swapping back and forth between the Linlai elite 6SN7 and the GF special edition. I will definitely be curious how you feel these stack up. I don’t feel a huge need to upgrade, but here I am reading @Wes S and feeling that creeping audiophile fomo scratching at the back of my mind…

Feb 24, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #73 of 129

Also, this has my curiosity up to 11. With that said, I’m not sure he has tried things like the Linlai or high end Psvane for comparison…

BTW, if this tube is high end Psvane with great quality control and warranty, then I’m 100% excited about that. I lament not being able to get them without worrying about noise and / or having a total failure in 6 months.

Feb 24, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #74 of 129
@Apos Audio Now that you have responded to some appropriate questions/concerns by getting real world samples out there, I think it is more than appropriate to address the elephant in the room which you have ignored after being asked earlier in this thread, which is, any information in regards to the actual manufacturing process, not the selection process after the "commissioned" tubes have been provided, although, these details are quite vague too.

It is appropriate for many reasons, but one of the most important imo is from an ethical business standpoint, not only because of the price point at which you are selling these tubes at, but also due to the way at which Apos advertises them; "...next-level sound reproduction", "...the elite tier of our Ray lineup, notable for audiophile-grade sound quality", "A significant upgrade over standard NOS tubes", "...designed to elevate hifi devices to new heights", etc, etc.

Without sharing any secret proprietary manufacturing processes of course, can you not provide at least some details in regards to where these tubes are manufactured, and how the manufacturing process which you have "commissioned" has achieved such great engineering success that gives you the ability to make such amazing claims, as well as setting an even more amazing price point.

I can't help but think (and I am sure I am not alone) the only reason a company would ignore sharing any sort of details on this is to hide something - especially when you advertise the tubes (or any product a company is selling) as some new level and state of the art masterpiece that is truly one of a kind and in a league of its own. In situations where this is actually the case, the company provides these types of details with pride, as they rightly should/can due to what they've achieved. Since it seems Apos is extremely proud of these tubes and what you have achieved, I don't see why these details are shrouded in complete mystery - what gives?

I am certain many other potential customers would love to be provided these types of details - this community (tube collectors/rollers) is extremely particular when it comes to these types of details, it is just in our nature - so to have no idea where a tube was made is a huge road block for many of us to take the plunge at buying a tube, especially when the price is so high.
Rebranding is as old as time itself in this sector going back decades if not a century. Just by looking at the current players in the market (especially geographically) and the internals, it should not be a mystery who makes this tube if matters like these really keeps one up at night. If price is giving you nightmares, go pick up JJ’s or go solid state and call it a day. Or you can keep holding your breath for the new “Western Electric” trademark to release their 6SN7's (hint: they are allegedly not going to be cheap either and have zero track record if they are ever released…)

Quite frankly, it’s great that anyone out there is trying to bring out quality tubes in this day and age. At least re-branders will screen out garbage quality tubes and give you somewhat good quality tubes under their banner like what I think Apos is trying to do here. Ironically, today is actually the 2nd anniversary of an event which heavily dictates the current state of tubes today. In my opinion, being a cheapofile and trying to save a few bucks on tubes isn’t worth subpar quality or questionable “NOS” tubes in 2024. Good tubes will last you years if not decades of regular enjoyment.

Re: rebranded tubes… I am staring at my stash of tubes where some of them do not bear their namesake’s trademark and are branded under a re-labelers trademark… These same “rebranded” Telefunkens, RCA's, (OG) Mullards and Tung-Sols go for a premium today where they were picked up for pennies on the dollar or were even throw-aways because they were “rebranded” back in the day. I have no experience if these Apos' are quality, but I am willing to pay a premium for quality and not cheap out for tubes.

Feb 25, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #75 of 129
What vintage of 1578? The 70s and 80s versions fit that description. However the ones I have from the 50s and early 60s are not thin or hollow, but rich, sweet with great details and phenomenal soundstage. Maybe I should send you one of my '57s or '63s. Or even better, send me one of your Apos Ray Reserved. :ksc75smile:
70's (the only version that is sometimes available these days, and one people still rave about). Feel free to send me a 57' or 63', and I will gladly compare them. I always wanted to hear the earlier version, however seeing as that tube is impossible to find, it's kind of a moot point anyway. :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back