BEWARE OF ELABORATE SCAMS
Oct 15, 2023 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Yifang

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys! I just wanted to share my story recently of a scam I experienced on Head-Fi here. Unfortunately, PayPal has closed the claim in scammer/seller favour, but I am in the process of appealing. Always use PayPal Goods & Services/Invoices, and use a bank card instead of PayPal Balance, unless you are extremely confident in the purchase!

This all started with my WTB post over on Classifieds for a FatFreq Maestro SE.

1697415885721.png

Shortly after, I received a private message from user "@el_monkey" looking to sell his.

1697415937774.png

We then agreed on a price, in which case I also requested some pictures from the seller.

1697416018546.png

At this point, I have also checked through the seller's classifieds feedback. I was initially sceptical given the last time the seller had classifieds activity was in 2020, but seeing the rest of his activity being inconsistent, on-and-off between years in the past, I decided to give benefit of the doubt.
For context, seller had feedback in 2020, but prior to that was 2016, in which he was active between 2014-2016 timeframe. Activity had another year or two gap, and seller had feedback from 2010-2012.

In addition, the user was actively commenting on some threads and generating activity. Later I realized these were all threads with recent activity showing on the FRONT PAGE OF FORUM THREADS. It is an attempt at creating the impression of being an actual user. I first thought he was just turning from another multi-year break.

I won't post screenshots of all this but you can probably view the user profile yourselves.

Seller then sent a photo of name and date stamped photo of the item. I have also attached the picture for anyone interested themselves. At a later date, after scrolling through Google images enough, I discovered that this picture was STOLEN FROM AN AVEXCHANGE REDDIT POST. The scammer/seller even copy and pasted a phrase directly over from the Reddit post.

Original Reddit post
: https://www.reddit.com/r/AVexchange/comments/156ym62/wtscanonh_fatfreq_maestro_se_w_paypal/
Image : https://imgur.com/a/fs12Koh

1697416563294.png

95cac9e3-91a1-428b-8802-91abe9552ca9.jpg

From here, I was happy to make the purchase. The payment was made via PayPal Balance. This is important and I will talk about this more at the end.

Today, as of making this post, I have also run the image through an AI generator. THIS IS THE IMPORTANT THING TO BE AWARE OF!!!
The overall image will return that of a HUMAN, because the MAJORITY IS AN ACTUAL PHOTO.

8ec9136b-408a-4c08-b4a7-936af074992a.jpg

However, running JUST THE NAME AND TIMESTAMP WILL RETURN AI. This was likely done via Photoshop or AI.

9e89c205-e593-4414-998f-93d854e6f9d7.jpg

Fast forward, the seller went unresponsive shortly after PayPal invoice was paid. Then after a few hours, the original account owner recovered the account and advised to not proceed with the transaction. Unfortunately by then, it was too late.

1697417371407.png

1697417398089.png

Immediately, a PayPal dispute was filed. However, this is where things get tricky.

You can launch a PayPal dispute within 180 days of a transaction. However, the first 7 days of the dispute is only a DISPUTE where you can communicate with the seller, and there is no PayPal intervention. You can file a dispute under many different reasons. In this case it was filed under "ITEM NOT RECEIVED" as obviously, nothing was going to come.

There are other online cases where people change the dispute to "Item not as described" but there is also loopholes to do with this, such as PayPal then requesting you to send the item back to the seller and they will refund upon receiving it. From what I have gathered, you will be provided with a fake, undeliverable address to return the parcel to, and therefore still not receive your refund.

After a week of a dispute, you can escalate it to a CLAIM where there is no longer communication between you and the seller, while PayPal takes over the investigation and reaches a conclusion.

However, at this point, the scammer/seller has provided a FAKE FedEx tracking number, showing a parcel delivered to the same SUBURB/POSTCODE.

This is where it is important to note that the scammer/seller is trying to play games via the PayPal guidelines. The PayPal guidelines operate under AS LONG AS SELLER PROVIDES A "PROOF OF SHIPMENT & PROOF OF DELIVERY", in this case, the tracking number belonging to a completely random parcel you can find via online searches of some sort, or drop-ship a fake item, PAYPAL WILL AUTOMATICALLY SIDE WITH THE SELLER AND CLOSE YOUR CASE.

The address I have provided is that of a business address, while the FedEx parcel states "Residential" and also shows a picture of a door completely different to the actual address I have provided
(not providing images due to privacy). In addition, I have called FedEx and have EMAIL CONFIRMATION THAT THE PARCEL FOR THE PROVIDED TRACKING NUMBER WAS NOT ADDRESSED TO ME, OR MATCHES THE ADDRESS PROVIDED.

PAYPAL DOES NOT CARE BECAUSE ALL PROCESSES ARE DONE BY ROBOTS AND AUTOMATED. THEY DO NOT CHECK YOUR EVIDENCE SUPPORTING YOUR CLAIMS.

As such, my claim was immediately closed in favour of the scammer/seller, allowing them to walk with the money.

From here on now, there is 10 days left to submit an appeal with new information. However, even the APPEAL PROCESS SEEMS TO BE INVESTIGATED BY MOSTLY BOTS AND AUTOMATED PROCESSES.

My next biggest pain is that PayPal support (which I assume is AI) is requesting an OFFICIAL PDF LETTER/EMAIL from FedEx with their Letterhead stating that the item WAS NOT ADDRESSED TO ME. However, FedEx on the other hand is REFUSING TO PROVIDE SUCH AN OFFICIAL LETTER, AND INSTEAD PROVIDING FURTHER EMAIL STATING FOR PAYPAL TO CONTACT THEM FOR ANY MORE INFORMATION REQUIRED. NEITHER SIDE IS WILLING TO CO-OPERATE BEYOND SUCH IN THIS CASE.

I am trying to get a human from PayPal to investigate the case and look at all the information provided. Phone calling PayPal, speaking to them on Twitter or via their chat has just resulted in them providing an email to send an appeal to, and nothing otherwise is done practically.

At this point, I can only pray that there is a HUMAN INVESTIGATOR LOOKING AT ALL EVIDENCE PROVIDED, AS WELL AS CONTACTS FEDEX. I am still in the appeal process again and praying every second that I can have a human PayPal case investigator, rather than more automated AI processes.

As this was paid via PayPal balance, I cannot initiate a chargeback via the card issuing bank. If you have paid via a card linked to your bank account, I would recommend going straight to them and initiating a chargeback. PayPal support services are HORRENDOUS. Banks can initiate a chargeback directly, whereas PayPal balance has to go through PayPal's resolution methods.

IT ONLY TAKES A HUMAN 5 MINUTES TO CHECK THE INFORMATION, PUT 1 AND 1 TOGETHER, AND REALIZE THIS WAS A SCAM. UNFORTUNATELY HOWEVER, 99% OF THEIR PROCESSES ARE AUTOMATED BY BOTS, EVEN YOUR APPEALS FOR CLAIMS.

MAKE SURE TO KEEP YOURSELF SAFE FROM THESE SCAMS, COLLECT ALL INFORMATION IF THIS WAS TO HAPPEN TO YOU, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, PRAY THAT A HUMAN INVESTIGATES THE CASE. THERE IS INFINITE LOOPHOLES IN THE PAYPAL BUYER PROTECTION AS MUCH AS THERE IS FOR SELLERS. STAY SAFE FROM SCAMS!!!

TL;DR Hacked Head-Fi account generates activity, provides photoshopped/AI edited timestamped photo, then plays the PayPal guidelines regarding G&S purchases. PayPal processes are 99% automated and do not investigate your case or evidence via human interaction.

STAY SAFE AND PRAY THAT YOU CAN GET HUMAN SUPPORT. I WILL UPDATE THE OUTCOME AGAIN ONCE I HEAR ANYTHING BACK. THIS ISN'T LOOKING GOOD CHIEF...

EDIT : PAYPAL CUSTOMER SUPPORT HUMANS ARE STILL REFUSING TO LOOK AT THE EVIDENCE. THEY WILL NOT ACCEPT AN EMAIL FROM FEDEX MANAGERS EVEN REQUESTING PAYPAL TO DIRECTLY CALL THEM. FEDEX WILL NOT PROVIDE AND OFFICIAL LETTER AS THIS IS NEVER REQUIRED.

I WILL BE FILING A POLICE, CYBERCRIME AND OMBUDSMAN REPORT HOPING THAT SOMEONE CAN TAKE ACTION.

EDIT 2 : THE FOURTH PERSON TO RESPOND VIA TWITTER HAS FINALLY MANAGED TO RE-OPEN THE CASE AFTER HE PHONE CALLED FEDEX HIMSELF TO CONFIRM THE DELIVERY. THIS IS PROBABLY THE 2OTH PAYPAL SUPPORT AGENT I HAVE SPOKEN TO VIA NUMEROUS MEANS.

IF YOU ENCOUNTER THIS SITUATION, JUST TRY TO CALL, MESSAGE, EMAIL, SPAM THEM ON ALL POSSIBLE FRONTS UNTIL YOU CAN FIND THE ONE GUY THAT CAN HELP.

EDIT 3 : THE CASE HAS FINALLY BE REVERSED INTO MY FAVOUR AND WILL BE RECEIVING A REFUND. SHOUTOUT TO KENYON FROM TWITTER SUPPORT (ONE OF MANY).

Attachments

• 1697416200414.png
    1697416200414.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_2023-10-04_02-59-40 (1).jpg
    photo_2023-10-04_02-59-40 (1).jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 30
Talk to the bank that was involved with the transaction and see what they can do.
Unfortunately, this was paid via PayPal balance rather than a card, therefore a chargeback cannot be initiated.

Oct 15, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 30
Extremely helpful. This will help many with purchasing from the forum. I was just scammed 2 weeks ago on here. So many successful purchases, thought I learned how to spot a scammer. They seem to always come up with new tricks.

Thanks

Oct 15, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 30
Extremely helpful. This will help many with purchasing from the forum. I was just scammed 2 weeks ago on here. So many successful purchases, thought I learned how to spot a scammer. They seem to always come up with new tricks.

Thanks
I paid via Goods & Services (invoice) knowing there is supposed to be protection and having heard stories of people getting refunds too, yet I didn't know that the process is entirely automated by robots for 99% of the time, and any live human support is still just referring you to automated processes.

Absolutely atrocious and this isn't a small sum of money either... A little over a month worth of expendable income for me...

I wonder if it is possible that the scammer has provided a fake tracking number to me, then a different fake one to PayPal, from which then that can invalidate my proof from FedEx that the item wasn't delivered to me...?

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 30
Spam Paypal on Twittter and on Facebook - just comment on their most recent posts and demand to receive a phone number, or to interact with a human.
Make sure you clearly and concisely expose the bug in their security system.
That usually works to get a human at the company to notice and get you in touch with the right person.
They should be thanking you and kissing your feet for helping them improve their security.

Oct 16, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #7 of 30
Spam Paypal on Twittter and on Facebook - just comment on their most recent posts and demand to receive a phone number, or to interact with a human.
Make sure you clearly and concisely expose the bug in their security system.
That usually works to get a human at the company to notice and get you in touch with the right person.
They should be thanking you and kissing your feet for helping them improve their security.
Spoke to a human for 30 minutes on the phone and I'm basically talking to a wall. The conversation summed up is like this

Paypal customer support : "seller provided a tracking number"
Me : "yes, it is fake, we have fedex email confirmation that it was fake"
paypal : "but seller provided a tracking number as per our processes?"
Me : "yes, it is FAKE, look at fedex email here, you can literally call them yourselves to confirm"
Me : "but seller provided a tracking number and you dont have an official fedex letter"
Me : "fedex wont provide an "official letter", we literally have an email from their manager, asking you to contact them should you need info"
Me : "sorry but seller provided tracking number"

Speaking to a human did not help, and their twitter and such is also just helping you launch support tickets.

Oct 16, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #8 of 30
Spoke to a human for 30 minutes on the phone and I'm basically talking to a wall. The conversation summed up is like this

Paypal customer support : "seller provided a tracking number"
Me : "yes, it is fake, we have fedex email confirmation that it was fake"
paypal : "but seller provided a tracking number as per our processes?"
Me : "yes, it is FAKE, look at fedex email here, you can literally call them yourselves to confirm"
Me : "but seller provided a tracking number and you dont have an official fedex letter"
Me : "fedex wont provide an "official letter", we literally have an email from their manager, asking you to contact them should you need info"
Me : "sorry but seller provided tracking number"

Speaking to a human did not help, and their twitter and such is also just helping you launch support tickets.
I think the problem here is that you spoke to a "human robot".
I think you need to ask for their supervisor or to talk to someone higher up their hierarchy.

Also, point out the flaw in their logic loop, because this deliberate unhelpfulness is already within gross negligence territory.

Oct 16, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 30
I think you need to ask for their supervisor or to talk to someone higher up their hierarchy.

Also, point out the flaw in their logic loop, because this deliberate unhelpfulness is already within gross negligence territory.
They refused to put me through to anyone higher up. Will try again tomorrow... I literally have an email from the local FedEx supervising manager stating the facts and also to contact him should anyone require more information. Even his employee ID is listed, yet the operator just won't listen to anything...

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #10 of 30
This sounds remarkably similar to the time I was scammed. Posted a WTB ad for a HE6, and this dude contacted me, sent him the funds, he shipped a pair of cheap earbuds to an address down the street from me.

I had to jump through hoops with Paypal, but I did eventually get my money back. Good luck and be persistent.

Oct 16, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #11 of 30
This sounds remarkably similar to the time I was scammed. Posted a WTB ad for a HE6, and this dude contacted me, sent him the funds, he shipped a pair of cheap earbuds to an address down the street from me.

I had to jump through hoops with Paypal, but I did eventually get my money back. Good luck and be persistent.

How did you talk to them if I may ask? How did you convince them?

I have been helping @Yifang with this and all paypal staffs we have talked just parroted following : “Unfortunately, we had to refuse your claim(s). This decision was made because we received shipment tracking from the seller confirming that the item was delivered.”

It feels like we’re talking to robots.

We did.
1. The person said the decision of “backoffice” is final. No option to talk to supervisor.

2. He kept saying: we have received tracking no and shows it been delivered. As you said, this negligence/ignorance is simply deliberate.

Oct 16, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #14 of 30
I am sorry this has happened to you, this is a disgrace. From reading this, I have arrived at some points (for high value listings from unknown sellers):

1. Every buyer should run a reverse image search on any headfi listing.
2. A brief verification video (less than 30 seconds, unlisted, uploaded to youtube) to prove the item is in hand. No voice needed, just a video of the item with proveable time stamp.
3. Sellers should have at least two endorsements from 2 reputable headfi'ers.

As a community, we should agree on some basic proveable criteria to prove legitimacy of a listing.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #15 of 30
How did you talk to them if I may ask? How did you convince them?

I have been helping @Yifang with this and all paypal staffs we have talked just parroted following : “Unfortunately, we had to refuse your claim(s). This decision was made because we received shipment tracking from the seller confirming that the item was delivered.”

It feels like we’re talking to robots.
I don't recall specifics as it has been seven years since it happened, but I do recall calling Paypal several times and getting to a point where the scammer had X amount of days to respond, which they did not, so I won by default.

EDIT: I should add that the US postal service was the one that dropped off the cheap earbuds to my neighbor, and I was tight with our mail person. He was able to get a screenshot of the package itself and everyone realized that a full-sized headphone was in no way able to fit into the envelope that the earbuds were shipped in.

EDIT 2: The more I think about it, the more I am remembering.

The earbuds were shipped from a very small European country (Moldova?) and my mail person noticed that the country of origin was one he had not had many pieces of mail sent from, so he remembered the package vividly. The scammer also used a bogus name in the place of my real name.

BTW this scammer nailed several Head- Fiers at the same time, and it was around Christmas time. IIRC all of us got our cash back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back