Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jan 31, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #4,741 of 4,782
I originally got the 1990 for use as a mixing headphone and they're definitely great at that. They also sound incredible with my Nord Stage 4. My next upgrade is the Bifrost 2/64. I had the original Bifrost 2 and loved it but I did think it was a bit too warmly colored. What I'm getting from 2/64 review is that it's not as warm and improves in other areas which sounds perfect. Listening to the 1990s I wouldn't mind a bit warmth, but not as much as a tube amp which is a bit too thick for my liking
:beerchug: The Bifrost 2/64 seems like a great choice.

My desktop system uses a Modius AKM DAC, with an Asgard 2 amp. The Asgard 2 is about as close as one can get to tube sound in solid state (Class A, single-ended MOSFET, zero negative feedback). I liked the 1990 a lot with a Bottlehead Crack, but I still preferred the Asgard. I get my best sound with the 1990 plugged into the headphone output of my exaSound e32 Mk-II.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #4,742 of 4,782
:beerchug: The Bifrost 2/64 seems like a great choice.

My desktop system uses a Modius AKM DAC, with an Asgard 2 amp. The Asgard 2 is about as close as one can get to tube sound in solid state (Class A, single-ended MOSFET, zero negative feedback). I liked the 1990 a lot with a Bottlehead Crack, but I still preferred the Asgard. I get my best sound with the 1990 plugged into the headphone input of my exaSound e32 Mk-II.
I got the Modius E myself and am using a Midgard amp. Killer combo for sure, I should've just grabbed a bifrost but I thought the Modius would be a nice enough improvement to keep my want for it at bay. It has the opposite effect, it sounded so good I knew the bifrost would give me that little bit extra lmao. I'm also excited to try out the Halo output from the Midgard. I have an audiophile Ninja cable laying around which sounded great with Arya/Jot 2. Should be a fun little change!

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #4,743 of 4,782
So I picked up the Amiron Home to accompany my 1990s and I really love them. Put together some impressions in case someone like me comes along and reads through the thread.

Overall tonality: Prefacing all this with the 1990 being an energetic, exciting powerhouse and the Amiron being a smooth and creamy dream. They both excel at what they're going for and it's interesting to note. The 1990s are good for everything, while the Amiron won't do so well with certain types of music. Mostly Heavy metal and hard rock since it's a bit too relaxed for that. That being said you might ask yourself why you would get the one that has some limitations over the all arounder? Because the Amiron presents music in a much more pleasing way. I've always been a "detail is king" kind of guy but the Amiron has taught me that "musical" characteristic is super important.

Bass: 1990 bass is just right . It's tighter, thuds better, and rumbles just a bit better than the Amiron. The Amiron has thicker bass leading into the mids which serves up a heavy, thick feeling.

Mids: Amiron is more forward with the mids and a lot of the magic happens here. It creates a nice sense of fullness while not being overly warm. Everything blends together musically. 1990 feels more V shaped presenting powerful bass and treble detail.

Treble: We all know about the 1990s and their treble. Details galore if that's what you want. You'll hear everything, and your ears can bleed if you're sensitive to it. Amiron is no slouch but the mids cover up the treble a bit, resulting in some sounds getting a little lost. Of course this is all very song dependent as the Amiron at times presented me with details I couldn't hear on the 1990s. Overall makes the Amiron much easier to listen to, it's also nice and airy

Timbre: This is my biggest surprise. You'd think with the 1990s and their level of detail they'd fare better but they don't. The Amiron have a much more organic and natural timbre to them. Not only that but I can actually make out how something was recorded much better with the Amiron. It's almost like you're sitting there listening to the artist sing into their microphone.

Soundstage and Imaging: This is really my favorite thing about the Amiron. Everything feels like it's floating in space and sounds just kinda melt together in the best way possible. Imaging is great on both, but the 1990 doesn't really have this melt together effect. Everything is separated and detailed instead so you can make things out a bit better. The 1990 however is tighter, you don't get that ethereal sound out of them.

Comfort and Build: 1990 looks incredible, Amiron is really not impressive to look at lol. 1990 feels sturdier but it's also heavier and the clamp is pretty gnarly on them out the box. I actually stretch all my headphones to they point that they can slide around my head. I've got all three of mine to the point that they're very comfortable and no longer give me headaches and other pains. They are very easy to loosen and they tend to keep their shape very well so if you're sensitive to clampy like I am these are both a great choice. That said the Amiron is lighter and clamps less. Only issue I have with them is they are creaky. I'm going to lube them up cuz it can be annoying. I also don't like the Beyer headbands, so I use a headband cover and slip a thick velour pad inside it. Now they're super comfy on top of my head.

I've always been the type to own one headphone that does it all but I think those days are over. I think having both of these headphones is really great and I'd be missing somet
hing if I just stuck to one.

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #4,744 of 4,782
Nice sum up, thanks for that. Even if the Amiron gets some good points in your review, to be honest, I'm quite happy that I looked elsewhere for a complement headphone. The Amiron presents too many caveats that I couldn't get along with.
I really wished Beyer made a flagship-like Headphone, as comfortable, durable, with a better resolution and just a bit better sounding than the 1990s. I read some good reviews concerning T1 and T5, but one reviewer even preferred the 1990s. That is really sad, because I wished Beyer would do better.

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #4,745 of 4,782
Nice sum up, thanks for that. Even if the Amiron gets some good points in your review, to be honest, I'm quite happy that I looked elsewhere for a complement headphone. The Amiron presents too many caveats that I couldn't get along with.
I really wished Beyer made a flagship-like Headphone, as comfortable, durable, with a better resolution and just a bit better sounding than the 1990s. I read some good reviews concerning T1 and T5, but one reviewer even preferred the 1990s. That is really sad, because I wished Beyer would do better.
A friend has the latest T1. It has a similar sound profile to the Amiron. No way I would trade his T1 for my 1990. Beyer's "consumer" range of headphones are not for me.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #4,746 of 4,782
A friend has the latest T1. It has a similar sound profile to the Amiron. No way I would trade his T5 for my 1990. Beyer's "consumer" range of headphones are not for me.
Yeah the T1.3 does share similarities with the Amiron, as do black edition T1.2's. I personally like both Beyer consumer and Beyer pro lines, though I lean more towards the consumer tuning personally.

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #4,747 of 4,782
Yeah the T1.3 does share similarities with the Amiron, as do black edition T1.2's. I personally like both Beyer consumer and Beyer pro lines, though I lean more towards the consumer tuning personally.
This is the (German) review that finally led to my decision, eventually not to take the T1.3. To be honest, I should've tested the T1.3 beforehand, because in fact he seems to cope in terms of comfort and sturdiness with 1990s but dynamic's a bit meh I read somewhere else

https://www.fairaudio.de/test/beyerdynamic-t1-und-t5-3-generation-kopfhoerer/#anker-1

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #4,748 of 4,782
This is the (German) review that finally led to my decision, eventually not to take the T1.3. To be honest, I should've tested the T1.3 beforehand, because in fact he seems to cope in terms of comfort and sturdiness with 1990s.

https://www.fairaudio.de/test/beyerdynamic-t1-und-t5-3-generation-kopfhoerer/#anker-1
The T1.3 isn't for everyone, it's something you have to spend some time with to determine if you like it's sound or not, build quality and comfort wise it is better than the DT 1990.

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #4,749 of 4,782
The T1.3 isn't for everyone, it's something you have to spend some time with to determine if you like it's sound or not, build quality and comfort wise it is better than the DT 1990.
Oh this never ends apparently, or at least not so soon, so T1.3 and Grado's GS3000x will be on the list for the next years..

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #4,750 of 4,782
It's been more than 1 year since I got DT 1990 Pro, and a very interesting thing happened: I stopped using all other headphones (HD600, Sundara, K712 Pro). It just doesn't make much sense, because they sound so much better than the others, if you're listening to metal music. Oratory EQ settings included of course.

Is there anything better than those for metal? Or is this the sweet spot for price vs quality? Sometimes I feel they should cost closer to $1000, not $414 I paid Thomann.

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #4,751 of 4,782
Just wonder... It's the DT1990 discontinued ?
Not available anymore on Beyerdinamic site, not even the accessories, like the pads. Also not available on most Amazon sites...
I still can find the set at the local dealer, but they also don't have any accessories.
I had mines for about 5 years and I wanted just to replace the pads with new ones. I can find only "compatible".

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #4,752 of 4,782
Just wonder... It's the DT1990 discontinued ?
Not available anymore on Beyerdinamic site, not even the accessories, like the pads. Also not available on most Amazon sites...
I still can find the set at the local dealer, but they also don't have any accessories.
I had mines for about 5 years and I wanted just to replace the pads with new ones. I can find only "compatible".
https://www.beyerdynamic.de/dt-1990-pro.html
https://www.thomann.de/de/beyerdynamic_dt_1990_pro_250_ohms.htm

https://www.thomann.de/de/beyerdynamic_edt_1990vb_balanced_ear_pads.htm
https://www.thomann.de/de/beyerdynamic_edt_1990va_analytical_ear_pads.htm

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #4,754 of 4,782
Thanks. On the global store of Beyer all I get it's "Contact Us".
From Romania, I think you could buy them from Thomann - this are original Beyerdynamic spare parts!

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #4,755 of 4,782
A quick update here. After a trip to the Denon D9200, which I bought for Christmas with a financial contribution from the family, I went back to my DT1990Pro and DT1770Pro sets, which I had saved. The deciding factor was my preference for the Alan Parsons Project. I already suspected the Denon of partially exaggerating the upper midrange. Specifically with the album "Ammonia Avenue" and the title "Since the Last Goodbye" that finally brought the problem to light for me. The Beyerdynamic, especially the DT1990Pro, bring the piece of music cleanly without overemphasis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back