Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Jan 17, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #2,191 of 2,258
I did the upgrade from a 3x GT pre-2023 to the 2023. I also rolled in SP2 modules. What I can say is I think the amp technically sounds marginally better with improved resolution, speed, and an even lower noise floor. But after hours of listening do I like it better? Not really. It’s no more engaging than my first unit nor is it connecting me to the music in a more emotional way. I just sort of tip my cap to the technical improvements and golf clap. My original GT with mod’d op amps was very impressive. The new 2023 unit simply maintains that opinion.

I did subsequently buy a Woo WA22, which has taken my connection to music to a whole other level. So, ultimately my advice is avoid the temptation for marginal Burson improvements and go add a second amp to your collection that comes at the task of music reproduction from an entirely different angle. You might be very pleasantly surprised to have two pathways in your grasp vs a marginal upgrade.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #2,192 of 2,258
I just sort of tip my cap to the technical improvements and golf clap.
Yeah the differences were fairly minor, BUT there's quite a bit more power handling capabilities with the 2023. I really didn't notice it on anything but the HE6 line (4, 6, and se v2) but it is definitely a pretty decent leap with those and another thing I noticed that isn't really a big deal, but the 2023 is significantly less impacted by warmup than the older GT for whatever reason. Guessing the silent power modules might be a big part of it but I have no idea.

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #2,193 of 2,258
[...]
But to upgrade it would cost over £900 for the new version and modules. That’s around half more than what I paid for it.

Hmmmmm
As per https://www.bursonaudio.com/shop/sp02-upgrade-kit/ the SP02 modules kit costs 299 bucks and it should contains all the low-noise modules inside, as per: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_4nzNCjvfahl7kVXQxF_Rsb78n4TY08x/view. Having these new modules installed will dimmish the differences between the standard external PSU and the low-noise one.

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #2,194 of 2,258
As per https://www.bursonaudio.com/shop/sp02-upgrade-kit/ the SP02 modules kit costs 299 bucks and it should contains all the low-noise modules inside, as per: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_4nzNCjvfahl7kVXQxF_Rsb78n4TY08x/view. Having these new modules installed will dimmish the differences between the standard external PSU and the low-noise one.
I would have to return and upgrade the amp as well don’t forget. The amp in the UK is over £700 more than what I paid of the current 3X GT

Jan 30, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #2,195 of 2,258
Worth mentioning that adding V7 Pro op-amps will jump-up the Soloist GT into a different league, so a totally recommended upgrade! I'll do my best next week to compare the original V6 Vivid vs. the new V7 Pro Vivid and Classic op-amps in my Soloist 3X GT 2023.

The increased bias current on the output stage on these op-amps along with swapping the plastic shell for the aluminum one is definitely making this new generation of op-amps one of the best in class for all audiophiles, DIY modders and Hi-Fi enthusiasts as well.

Jan 30, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #2,196 of 2,258
Worth mentioning that adding V7 Pro op-amps will jump-up the Soloist GT into a different league, so a totally recommended upgrade! I'll do my best next week to compare the original V6 Vivid vs. the new V7 Pro Vivid and Classic op-amps in my Soloist 3X GT 2023.

The increased bias current on the output stage on these op-amps along with swapping the plastic shell for the aluminum one is definitely making this new generation of op-amps one of the best in class for all audiophiles, DIY modders and Hi-Fi enthusiasts as well.
Yeah definitely want a set of the V7s.

I’m sure they will sell out fast, and be hard to get hold of for a while.

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #2,198 of 2,258
I ll soon receive the xlr cable they forgot to send me back with the replaced susvaras. I will evaluate again. I dont know what happened the first time i heard this combo (susvara + gt). Maybe the gt needed a serious warm up after 3 months unused. But im really enjoying the gt these days even with the jack cable (i think jack cable is less bright and helps my dac). I will give it 8,5/10 with susvara when topping a90 (the amp i have in my holiday location) was 5/10. Maybe all balenced will get 9/10. Soon i will tell.

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #2,199 of 2,258
Another upgrade? This is becoming more and more like a pump and dump. Why can't it be a one and done kind of AMP? :thinking:

Well, every year new stuff comes around and that's not happening only in Burson's yard, but on most electronic manufacturers (look how Apple gets something new on the market every year).

From how I see it, there's a new Burson flagship around and there's quite a bit of a "distance" between the original GT Standard and the new Voyager Deluxe, so the below upgrades will diminish the "distance" between the two headamps quite a lot, in terms of audio quality:
  1. Adding the external low-noise power supply 24V/5A.
  2. Adding the recently designed SP2 low-noise voltage regulator modules.
  3. Adding the soon-to-be-released V7 PRO op-amps
The first couple of upgrades have been discussed here on Head-Fi quite a lot, while for the new op-amps there's the dedicated thread for this. However, if selling the former V6 op-amps is an option and the above three upgrades can be purchased On-Sale or Ex-Demo, then the price for 3X GT Std. + the above upgrades will still be less than the price for a brand new Voyager Deluxe package. Of course, selling the GT and buying the Voyager would be better if money wouldn't be a problem, but otherwise upgrade is the only way to go if some of us are in need for a change without getting their pockets empty. :)

I really think that the above three upgrades for the 3X GT would be the end-game for this audio equipment, next step being the Voyager, of course.

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #2,200 of 2,258
Another upgrade? This is becoming more and more like a pump and dump. Why can't it be a one and done kind of AMP? :thinking:
It’s only an upgrade if you decide to buy them.

With user changeable components it’s was always likely to go that way so you can’t blame Burson for actually going down that route?

The alternate is not having user changeable stuff and alienating its customers by releasing a whole new unit every year, *cough SMSL

I’ve seen the 2.0 hifi world from the outside as being relatively stable, it seems it’s not quite so safe nowadays, at least for the non football wage equipment.

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #2,201 of 2,258
My issue with it is, if we keep changing things up and the Soloist is becoming like a frankenAMP with no specific sound signature that we can remember it by. Let voyager stand on it's own and let Soloist be what it is. Do we not remember good things about our V281 it is not perfect but it is it's own.

Jan 31, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #2,202 of 2,258
My issue with it is, if we keep changing things up and the Soloist is becoming like a frankenAMP with no specific sound signature that we can remember it by. Let voyager stand on it's own and let Soloist be what it is. Do we not remember good things about our V281 it is not perfect but it is it's own.
I do get that. It’s like Omega’s Moon Watch. There are a million different versions and the OG has just been lost.

There is also the argument of say Burson thinking, well here’s a load of stuff for you to build our amp with so we don’t have to.

Then you have the likes of me who’s new to this level is spending and not 100% sure of what they are wanting/doing and a review at the introduction of a product is not the same by the time you get end of a 150 page thread.

But I come back to my point of it’s nice not to have to go through the rigmarole of selling and buying another £2.5k amp if you want a different sound when the next amp arrives 18-24 months later.

Feb 7, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #2,203 of 2,258
I re-measured GT 2023 temperature inside and outside after about 3h of warm-up (no music playing) and another 1h of listening to music at moderate to high volume (80% @ low gain) on my Fostex T50RP planar headphones. I've re-did these measurements after upgrading my GT 2023 with brand new V7 Pro Vivid operational amplifiers (six pieces) and a low-noise external PSU.

Room air temperature was around 20C, but floor temperature was around 17-18C. During summertime we should expect results higher with about 5C for the outer case, but the inside components temperature should not increase that much. Worth mentioning that the Soloist 3X GT was placed on the Mothership 01 cool stand which decreases case temperature with about 2-3C versus placing the headamp on a standard flat wood desk.

I see that the V7 Pro op-amps are indeed more biased in class A than the V6 op-amps, but this was possible due to the new aluminum outer shell that acts as heatsink too.

20240207_195421_IR.png
20240207_195448_IR.png
Lateral case temperature of around 39C (picture rotated 90 degrees)
Top case - Thermal view
20240207_215435_IR.png
20240207_195619_IR.png
Open case - inside thermal view
V7 Pro Vivid (input buffers) - Inside transistors max. temperature of about 60C
20240207_200200_IR.png
20240207_195706_IR.png
V7 Pro Vivid (input buffers) - Aluminum shell temperature of about 50C
V7 Pro Vivid (output buffers) - Inside transistors max. temperature of about 65C
20240207_200222_IR.png
20240207_195649_IR.png
V7 Pro Vivid (output buffers) - Aluminum shell temperature of about 45C
JRC 5532 op-amps surface temperature
20240207_195854_IR.png
20240207_200011_IR.png
+5V low-noise regulator (about 69C)
SCT2650 - DC-DC power regulator, the hottest op-amps from the board
20240207_200114_IR.png
20240207_200129_IR.png
Bias current resistors - the hottest components from the board
Output stage transistors temperature of about 71C
20240207_200331_IR.png
Low-noise external power supply max. temperature of 45C

I consider that upgrading the Soloist 3X GT, as well the Timekeeper 3X GT too, with the new SP2 low-noise regulators, with the external low-noise "Super Charger" PSU and also with the soon-to-be-released V7 Pro op-amps will ramp up this audio equipment higher on the league, very close to the Deluxe version of the SOTA Voyager headamp.

My review about Soloist 3X GT 2023 can be read here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-soloist-3x-grand-tourer.25668/reviews#review-31286. However, after performing the above upgrades I've noticed a darker background, increased microdetails and a bit more dynamic sound. For those not willing to sell their 3X GT and purchase the new Voyager, the above upgrades are definitely recommended. Also, V7 Pro thread is available for comments as well.

L.E.: The third heatmap image was taken a few seconds after taking the case off and it represents the actual internal temperature range (identical with case closed). The other images are showing slightly increased temperatures because of the lack of inside air ventilation due to fan being unable to suck the hot air out. Do not try operating Soloist 3X GT with case open, as we can clearly see that using it this way will increase thermal stress to internals!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #2,205 of 2,258
Well, every year new stuff comes around and that's not happening only in Burson's yard, but on most electronic manufacturers (look how Apple gets something new on the market every year).

From how I see it, there's a new Burson flagship around and there's quite a bit of a "distance" between the original GT Standard and the new Voyager Deluxe, so the below upgrades will diminish the "distance" between the two headamps quite a lot, in terms of audio quality:
  1. Adding the external low-noise power supply 24V/5A.
  2. Adding the recently designed SP2 low-noise voltage regulator modules.
  3. Adding the soon-to-be-released V7 PRO op-amps
The first couple of upgrades have been discussed here on Head-Fi quite a lot, while for the new op-amps there's the dedicated thread for this. However, if selling the former V6 op-amps is an option and the above three upgrades can be purchased On-Sale or Ex-Demo, then the price for 3X GT Std. + the above upgrades will still be less than the price for a brand new Voyager Deluxe package. Of course, selling the GT and buying the Voyager would be better if money wouldn't be a problem, but otherwise upgrade is the only way to go if some of us are in need for a change without getting their pockets empty. :)

I really think that the above three upgrades for the 3X GT would be the end-game for this audio equipment, next step being the Voyager, of course.
I'm going to reiterate my above message because I'd like to add a few measurements on the standard vs. Supercharger power supplies that I've finished today.

The below tests were done @10 MHz bandwidth with a stable power consumption of about 74 Watts, the standard idle power consumption of the Soloist 3X GT 2023 headamp.

Burson_Std_5A_PSU_RippleNoise_ copy.jpeg

Standard PSU Burson 24V/5A - AC ripple & noise of 8.17 mV RMS @ 10 MHz

Burson_Supercharger_5A_RippleNoise copy.jpeg

Low noise Supercharger Burson 24V/5A - AC ripple & noise of 3.635 mV RMS @ 10 MHz
At 90 kHz bandwidth, instead of 10 MHz, the noise figures are much lower and the differences between the two PSUs are also much more evident, like in the below measurements done by the owner of the L7audiolab website from where I grabbed the two pictures below. He was using the 24V/3A Supercharger instead of the 5A measured by me connected to the Soloist 3X Performance headamp model which is having a much lower idle power consumption (probably a bit over 10 Watts or so).

OPowerNoise90KBWBAL-scaled.jpg

Standard PSU Burson 24V/3A - AC ripple & noise of 1.4 mV RMS @ 90 kHz

UPPowerNoise90KBWBAL-scaled.jpg

Low noise Supercharger Burson 24V/3A - AC ripple & noise of 0.125 mV RMS @ 90 kHz
In the first two measurements (the ones done @ 10 MHz) the 5A Supercharger has 2.5 times lower AC ripple and noise vs. the standard 24V/5A power supply, while in the last two measurements (the ones done by L7audiolab @ only 90 kHz) we see that the 3A Supercharger has 11 times lower AC ripple & noise vs. the standard 24V/3A power supply. Now we can definitely conclude that the Supercharger is a very really low noise power supply and could be considered by audiophiles as an upgrade for the standard Burson PSU.

At the moment I was unable to find any background noise differences between using the std. PSU vs. Supercharger, but I'll recheck soon with sensitive cans or IEMs and get back here if I'll have some news.

P.S.: Who has access to an oscilloscope can measure a standard laptop power supply while it's being used in a power hungry laptop and see how much noise is there vs. the above low noise power supplies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back