Burson Soloist 3X Grand Tourer Head Amp/Pre Amp w/Sub out - 10W XLR
Nov 30, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #2,161 of 2,280
Nov 30, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #2,162 of 2,280
Day one purchase, I have been waiting for these to be added for sale on their site. Will wait a little bit more, until they add the burson 3x Gt, to be on safe side.

Thanks for letting us all know.

Edit.
Nvm, I emailed burson, they responded within hrs on a weekend, they told me the silent power wouldn't work on my burson being I have the older burson 3xgt. That one doesn't have the plug in port to put the silent powers. I can't upgrade. Well that makes me sad.

Burson did tell me the V7 opamps are coming shortly, and I'll be able to upgrade that part of the system.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #2,163 of 2,280
IMG_1326.jpeg

Got my Burson 3X GT on a 11.11 sale. Took 3 weeks to arrive but all is good with the newer interchangeable power modules. Initial test and comparison seems to give this amp a different tone and sound stage compared to other amps I have

Dec 1, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #2,164 of 2,280
Dec 2, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #2,165 of 2,280
For people running an active pre-amp in front of your Burson GT…what are you setting the Burson’s gain and volume to asuming you are using your pre-amp for volume control? I get you can experiment…but….Where are you getting good result?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #2,166 of 2,280
i have similar question about pre amp section on the burson , i am new to all of this and am confused
could someone please tell me what the benefit of using another amp into the bursons pre outs does ?
and does this have any significant benefit in doing this?
i have read so many reviews about the burson gt but no one i have read about are using the pre outs
of the burson into another amplifier .

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #2,167 of 2,280
The benefit of the Pre-out on the Burson would allow you to hook up an amp to drive something like a small set of bookshelf speakers for near field listening. In my office - where I do most of my headphone listening I have 2 dacs, and 3 headphone amps... in my case I use my Z10e which has the ability to drive headphones, electrostatic headphones and speakers to drive a pair of high efficiency Martin Logan speakers.

So with the pre-outs you could be a headphone listener most of the time but be able to add an amp and some speakers without adding much other gear and have the ability to do some two channel listening or have some background music on if entertaining.

See my post earlier about the pop I get when turning the Burson off with my subwoofer - if you do use the pre-outs you would want to turn your amp off first to avoid sending a similar loud bang/pop to your speakers.

If you look through the thread that shows you peoples setups you do see small speakers near the headphone gear quite often.

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #2,168 of 2,280
There is no point in using an external preamp for Soloist GT. The built-in volume control is of quite decent quality. I used the GT as a preamp in another headphone amplifier, and I also used other preamps and use the GT as a headphone amplifier. In all cases, degradation of sound quality was heard.
Adding a tube component to a circuit can to some extent have a slight positive effect... but this also leads to sound degradation.
Yes! and one more recommendation. GT produces the best sound at low gain levels. The best microdynamics and punchy bass are at low gain (regardless of what headphones you use).

If you really want to get the best results from using an external preamp, the gain on the preamp should be set to “0”, and the volume control on the GT should be at maximum...or close to the maximum value. In this case, adjust the volume using a preamplifier.

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #2,169 of 2,280
Anybody have experience connecting a grounding box to the Soloist 3XGT? I currently have one ground wire connected to an rca input, as I'm using the xlr input to connect to my dac. I'm curious if the input, output, case, or some other connection is best to connect to a ground box. I'm using a Synergistic Research ground box with a custom ground cable to rca.
You shouldn't do any kind of grounding on such "Class 2" device, given that manufacturer designed it to get power via isolation transformer (inside the switching power supply) and with a lower voltage than mains power. Case grounding should only be done if manufacturer recommends this and only from an electrical point of view, not from an audiophile one. In case of a hum/noise issue, then this can be resolved by grounding one single point of the audio chain, but AFAIK this Soloist has zero noise/hum issue and unless you have noise issues on other hi-Fi devices from your audio chain you should forget about grounding the Soloist.

More about grounding the chassis here: https://www.xppower.com/resources/blog/iec-protection-classes-for-power-supplies.

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #2,170 of 2,280
I ve benn listening for more time the gt with the susvaras and it is a better combo that i thought. It woul be nice a little more power because there is some distorsion at insane loud levels (sometimes i like it loud) but i can live with it. Stage is much better than it seemed to me at first impressions. Its very enjoyable. I m not using the tube buffer anymore. I dont think i will buy a 7000€ tube amp. But its still more impressive what the burson does to the arya v2. I think susvara could scale a little bit more with more power. Anyway, i m again in love with the gt.

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #2,171 of 2,280
I ve benn listening for more time the gt with the susvaras and it is a better combo that i thought. It woul be nice a little more power because there is some distorsion at insane loud levels (sometimes i like it loud) but i can live with it. Stage is much better than it seemed to me at first impressions. Its very enjoyable. I m not using the tube buffer anymore. I dont think i will buy a 7000€ tube amp. But its still more impressive what the burson does to the arya v2. I think susvara could scale a little bit more with more power. Anyway, i m again in love with the gt.
I’m surprised mate: my GT drives my Susvara at medium gain at 60ish at insane volume levels.

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #2,172 of 2,280
I’m surprised mate: my GT drives my Susvara at medium gain at 60ish at insane volume level
Maybe your dac voltage is higer. Im also using an unballanced cable (im waiting for my ballanced cable which is in hifiman warehause). And i mean playing songs recorded and mastered very low.
But i use medium gain too. Not very different medium and high gain. And i think insane for me is louder than for you 😂.
Even maybe the distorssion its in my ears (really loud) but i think its amp distortion. And its only in low frecuencies when boosted. But its a limit. Hard to find but a limitation. I don t think too, that envy or cayin 300 can give me that loud, only ef1000, peimavera and aic10. And i cant afford that.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #2,173 of 2,280
It's been kind of quiet on the Voyager front I wonder is expected delivery still around Christmas...

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #2,174 of 2,280
It's been kind of quite on the Voyager front I wonder is expected delivery still around Christmas...

Mine is shipping today, just got the confirmation email.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #2,175 of 2,280
Mine is shipping today, just got the confirmation email.
Nice, I haent heard anything yet. I am in USA Georgia. Purchased from a dealer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back