Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
May 10, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #6,346 of 6,476
Could it be that you have changed input signal (PCM to DSD) or anything else?
No! Nothing has changed in the system (perhaps there is a little more dust on the amplifier). I listen to music only in PCM.

Its pretty loud, but not always loud enough :) I always assumed it was the limit of the tube.
It seems like I like to listen to music loudly. Using Abyss 1266 and DCA Stealth. I have apparently reached the limiting capabilities of the amplifier (this is an assumption). The only thing that confuses me is that there was no such problem before. I could listen to my headphones at any volume without noticing distortion or overload. Perhaps over time, the nominal values of the components lose their meaning and the effects I have indicated become obvious. First of all, this apparently concerns tubes.

his input level is too high
I have 2 DACs:
1. I connect Holo MAY using RCA. Those. 2.9 volts are supplied to the amplifier input. In this case, the volume control will rarely exceed the 2 o'clock position. If musical compositions are recorded quietly, then when listening at the 3 o'clock position or more, I hear hoarseness in the sound (sounds like overdrive).
2. I connect Vio 590 periodically using RCA. Those. 2/2.5 volts are supplied to the amplifier input. In this case, listening to low-sensitivity headphones is carried out at a level of 3 hours. When increasing the volume for more than 3 hours, the volume does not increase, but the audible overdrive increases.

When using Holo May, I hear less hoarseness and overload.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #6,347 of 6,476
No! Nothing has changed in the system (perhaps there is a little more dust on the amplifier). I listen to music only in PCM.

It seems like I like to listen to music loudly. Using Abyss 1266 and DCA Stealth. I have apparently reached the limiting capabilities of the amplifier (this is an assumption). The only thing that confuses me is that there was no such problem before. I could listen to my headphones at any volume without noticing distortion or overload. Perhaps over time, the nominal values of the components lose their meaning and the effects I have indicated become obvious. First of all, this apparently concerns tubes.

I have 2 DACs:
1. I connect Holo MAY using PCA. Those. 2.9 volts are supplied to the amplifier input. In this case, the volume control will rarely exceed the 2 o'clock position. If musical compositions are recorded quietly, then when listening at the 3 o'clock position or more, I hear hoarseness in the sound (sounds like overdrive).
2. I connect Vio 590 periodically using PCA. Those. 2/2.5 volts are supplied to the amplifier input. In this case, listening to low-sensitivity headphones is carried out at a level of 3 hours. When increasing the volume for more than 3 hours, the volume does not increase, but the audible overdrive increases.

Almost sounds like, with those normal voltage outputs from the dacs, a power supply issue. Have you tried another set of rectifiers?

May 10, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #6,348 of 6,476

I have 2 DACs:
1. I connect Holo MAY using PCA. Those. 2.9 volts are supplied to the amplifier input. In this case, the volume control will rarely exceed the 2 o'clock position. If musical compositions are recorded quietly, then when listening at the 3 o'clock position or more, I hear hoarseness in the sound (sounds like overdrive).
2. I connect Vio 590 periodically using PCA. Those. 2/2.5 volts are supplied to the amplifier input. In this case, listening to low-sensitivity headphones is carried out at a level of 3 hours. When increasing the volume for more than 3 hours, the volume does not increase, but the audible overdrive increases.

Try putting gain on low and see if the distortion lessens somewhat. Rectifiers dont change my "distortion" ... turning back a single notch does. Abyss are also hard to drive headphones, i think we are reaching the limits. The thing is, with tube rolling the amp is spectacular, im happy where i am.

May 10, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #6,349 of 6,476
Try putting gain on low and see if the distortion lessens somewhat. Rectifiers dont change my "distortion" ... turning back a single notch does. Abyss are also hard to drive headphones, i think we are reaching the limits. The thing is, with tube rolling the amp is spectacular, im happy where i am.
Rectiviers don't but if there is a bad rectifier, there can be an issue. It is ruling out any tube issues, including rectifiers. And I have heard distortion with rectifiers going bad as they could not supply the 1st stage of the rectified AC at spec.

I use the Abyss with the B300MKII and no issues.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #6,350 of 6,476
Guys, try running 1266 and Susvara from the speaker terminals (you need to solder an adapter), my TC sounds miles better from the speaker taps. Like it has a lot more room to breathe.

May 10, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #6,351 of 6,476
Try putting gain on low
Are you talking about Vio 590?
If you reduce the gain from "0" to "-6" on the Vio 590, it will drive less voltage to the HA-300.
In this case, I don’t have enough volume on the HA-300, even if I set it to the maximum value. Hoarseness and overload above 3 o'clock on the volume control are clearly audible.

May 10, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #6,352 of 6,476
Are you talking about Vio 590?
If you reduce the gain from "0" to "-6" on the Vio 590, it will drive less voltage to the HA-300.
In this case, I don’t have enough volume on the HA-300, even if I set it to the maximum value. Hoarseness and overload above 3 o'clock on the volume control are clearly audible.
SORRY! I meant impedance ... try it on low rather than high (im guessing!) On high i hear more distortion earlier on low sensitivity headphones. GAIN was the wrong word! It has been a long day and thank goodness for the weekend!

May 10, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #6,354 of 6,476
SORRY! I meant impedance ... try it on low rather than high (im guessing!) On high i hear more distortion earlier on low sensitivity headphones. GAIN was the wrong word! It has been a long day and thank goodness for the weekend!
If I set the impedance switch to the "L" position, at the maximum volume I can handle (volume control position - 2 o'clock), I do not hear any hoarseness or overdrive.

May 10, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #6,355 of 6,476
I have 2 DACs:

Sorry, what is PCA?

You are connecting the Holo May to HA-300MK2 via RCA, normally RCA line out is around 2V, maybe 2.2V, 2.9V is considered a fairly hot RCA line output IMO. This falls in line with the input sensitivity issue that I described previously.

The Vio 590 is a DAC/Amp? Have you try connecting V590 2V output to HA-300MK2 with your Abyss and turn the volume to 3 o'clock or even 4 o'clock?

The second problem is completely new to me. I don't think I can understand your problem correctly, can someone chime in if you shared similar problem.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 10, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #6,356 of 6,476
I apologize. I mean RCA.
The Vio 590 is a DAC/Amp? Have you try connecting V590 2V output to HA-300MK2 with your Abyss and turn the volume to 3 o'clock or even 4 o'clock?
Yes. Vio 590 can supply a low voltage according to RCA, 2 or 2.5 volts (I can’t find the exact value in the manual). At the same time, hoarseness and overload when the volume reaches more than 3 hours is more pronounced when using Vio as a DAC.

This effect of hoarseness and overload is heard when using any DAC, but only when the impedance switch is in the “H” and “M” positions.
With the impedance switch set to "L", I do not hear any problems, regardless of the DAC used.

p.s.
The Vio 590 can work as a DAC (without using an amplification circuit).

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #6,357 of 6,476
If you like the Sylvania house sound, there's A LOT of different variations. But I suggest trying out 6F8G from the early 40's (needs an adapter). They have a leaf on the side, rather than the later "S" branded tubes.

Also round plate 6J5 (quad with adapters), another great one. Detailed and even without losing too much richness.

And lots of people like the 6SN7W tall bottles, but they can be expensive and I haven't splurged. I like Sylvania's 'cause they tend to be cheap :)

Im aiming for maximum warmth and tubyness. I just popped this in because my buddy loaned me 3 sets of 6sn7. This is my first roll in the cayin except for my WE clone 300b from cossor (which didn't have nearly this big of an effect vs gold lion as the sylvania did vs tung sol new prod).

May 10, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #6,358 of 6,476
Im aiming for maximum warmth and tubyness. I just popped this in because my buddy loaned me 3 sets of 6sn7. This is my first roll in the cayin except for my WE clone 300b from cossor (which didn't have nearly this big of an effect vs gold lion as the sylvania did vs tung sol new prod).
For warmth I think Elrog ER will be your endgame 300B. I have a feeling you're only just scratching the surface of what this amp is capable of.

I might be testing out some Acme 300B soon, this might also be a strong contender for a romantic TOTL. I love how Acme 2A3 sound so I have high expectations.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #6,359 of 6,476
I apologize. I mean RCA.

Yes. Vio 590 can supply a low voltage according to RCA, 2 or 2.5 volts (I can’t find the exact value in the manual). At the same time, hoarseness and overload when the volume reaches more than 3 hours is more pronounced when using Vio as a DAC.

This effect of hoarseness and overload is heard when using any DAC, but only when the impedance switch is in the “H” and “M” positions.
With the impedance switch set to "L", I do not hear any problems, regardless of the DAC used.

p.s.
The Vio 590 can work as a DAC (without using an amplification circuit).
So an impedance mismatch?

May 10, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #6,360 of 6,476
170HA Susvara 01.jpg

Cayin finally unveils the Soul 170HA at Munich High End 2024 today. Weighted at 40kg, this is the biggest headphone amplifier we have ever built.

Check out the Soul 170HA thread if you want to find out more about this crazy beast. :beerchug:

Dang, and I just got the HA-300MK2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back