Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Mar 18, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #1,936 of 2,098
Did anyone try Psvane Art series 12au7? Two hours after installing they sound pretty well balanced and spacious with Reflektor 6v6.

I'm currently running the Psvane and I agree with your impressions, as I found it to be a massive improvement over the stock tubes. Currently paired with some Mullards but I have some Brimar 6v6GT coming in today. Been eyeing a number of NOS 12au7 to compare to the Psvane's, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet as there's an overwhelming amount of options and I'm still quite unsure what direction to go. This thread has definitely been helpful trying to navigate the tube world though.

Mar 18, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #1,937 of 2,098
I'm currently running the Psvane and I agree with your impressions, as I found it to be a massive improvement over the stock tubes. Currently paired with some Mullards but I have some Brimar 6v6GT coming in today. Been eyeing a number of NOS 12au7 to compare to the Psvane's, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet as there's an overwhelming amount of options and I'm still quite unsure what direction to go. This thread has definitely been helpful trying to navigate the tube world though.
Interested how you get on with the Psvanes I almost purchased a pair but ended up going Gold Lion for both 12AU7 & 6v6 which I have to say seem a great match for my HE1000 Stealth, much better top end compared with the Apos tubes. At first I thought there was slightly less detail but I find the details are all there just not so in your face. Also the Gold Lion give a more holographic sound. Been able to listen for long periods without any fatigue. Also, the Gold Lions are extremely quiet, best of the bunch so far. Let me know how you get on with the Psvanes, be interested to see if they change much with burn in, the Gold Lions seem to improve quite considerably over the first 30 hours or so.

Mar 18, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #1,938 of 2,098
A new HA-3A review on Youtube for anyone interested.

He reviews it only with the stock tubes but we all know how much better it gets once you start tube rolling as those stock tubes smooth the sound out too much.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #1,939 of 2,098
Interested how you get on with the Psvanes I almost purchased a pair but ended up going Gold Lion for both 12AU7 & 6v6 which I have to say seem a great match for my HE1000 Stealth, much better top end compared with the Apos tubes. At first I thought there was slightly less detail but I find the details are all there just not so in your face. Also the Gold Lion give a more holographic sound. Been able to listen for long periods without any fatigue. Also, the Gold Lions are extremely quiet, best of the bunch so far. Let me know how you get on with the Psvanes, be interested to see if they change much with burn in, the Gold Lions seem to improve quite considerably over the first 30 hours or so.
I purchased my amp used and the previous owner handed me a few sets of tubes that were burnt in ready to go. Only comparison I'd be able to make is with the stock tubes, which were underwhelming and as many have noted sound too smoothed over. The Psvanes are quiet and provide a detailed, balanced sound that's slightly warm. To my knowledge the Gold Lions are some of the best current production tubes available, so I think you made a solid choice. Hoping to get some NOS 12au7 soon to compare. I think I'm finally narrowing down my options after basically reading through this entire thread :o2smile:

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #1,940 of 2,098
Bought this amp new off Aliexpress from the official store last week and received it today. With only 3 hours of testing I'm hesitant to say too much at this point, but very impressed so far.

I spent two hours with the Hifiman Arya Stealth and the first thing I noticed was how incredibly holographic it was. The sense of space was already good on the Burson, but this takes it up a notch. I would describe music as more enveloping, and stages wider than the Burson. Bass also has good impact, though I feel there's a slight roll-off in the lower frequencies. This was however remedied with some EQ and now it slams. As for the highs, they felt a bit shrill and unrefined during the first 15 minutes but has since rounded off and is no longer fatiguing - this part is blowing my mind. Must have been due to the tubes warming up?

In the last hour, I've been listening to the Sennheiser HD 660S2, and similar feeling of holography as with the Arya but to a lesser extent. Mids stand out more and are more impactful. Really liking this pairing as well!

My chain: PC (Optical) > Burson Audio Conductor 3 Reference (RCA) > Cayin HA-3A (RCA) > Single Ended 660S2 & Arya

I have the amp on high impedance for the Arya, and for the 660S2 I have it on medium. Because this amp gets loud fast, I had to adjust my digital preamp on my PC for both headphones for more headroom. This part was super important because I felt the dynamics sounded the best for the Arya on high impedance.

Really want to test the amp with the HE1000v2 but I really should go to bed lol....

To those who were thinking of buying this amp, there's an anniversary sale on Aliexpress now. I bought it before the sale, but I managed to get a decent discount with a coupon. If you buy now you can get the sale price plus the coupon if you meet the minimum threshold. You can add some tubes and get a really sweet deal!

ha-3a.jpg

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #1,941 of 2,098
More Tube Rolling on the HA-3A
Some view tube rolling as a chore.
I view it as an adventure, from the hunt to find NOS tubes, whose sound IMO far out paces ANY of the new production tubes, to trying tube of different manufactures or even different years of the same manufacturer, it allows me to adjust and tune the sound, much more than can be done with the solid state amps I've had to date.
Rolling with known songs/tracks and just hearing how the changes are presented. Some not to my linking, but many present interesting differences

My latest change
My go to so far for power tubes have been the Mazda 6V6G ST/Coke bottle tubes from the 50's/Early 60's
But found a pristine set of Mullard 6V6G ST's. In orignal Mullard boxes and the silkscreening is intact, clear and complete on both tubes. A rare find.
I've read from MANY sources that Mullard did NOT make their own 6V6 tubes, and that they were either made by Marconi or Mazda
These have markings on the base and underside near the pins, that match other Mullard Tubes, that seem to indicate they were indeed manufactured in Great Britan
If anyone knows for sure, please hit me up with a response. I would appreciate knowing that information.

A quick shot of both tubes and their boxes for reference.

IMG_9127.jpg

I can tell you these Mullard's do NOT sound anywhere like the Mazda's, or the Marconi's I have borrowed or sold off.
The Mazda's are very neutral, warmish sounding power tubes with the right pre amp tubes in front of them
These Mullard's just came in, and after some initial burn in, started to listen with the same E80cc tubes I've enjoyed with the Mazda's (happen to also be Mullard's) and wow, what difference...
The Mullard's are much warmer, solid deeper bass, not to heavy but definitely more present than the Mazda's. Matched with the E80cc's the highs remain clear and extended, but the Mullard's bring a different sound signature. Maybe a little more "fun" if not a little less accruate than the Mazda's
They've opened up a little more since I first got them with 24 hours of burn in. Initially the Mullards seemed to not be as clear as the Mazda's but with burn in they have smoothed out, cleared up and offer distinctly different sound than the Mazda's. Not better, just different.

Posting this info as I see new HA-3A owners posting, and encourage you to not give up on this amp. Rolling in tubes will make a HUGE change over the stock tubes.
Hoping info I have posted here and number of pages back will help those who are just starting out. Its my way to say thanks to those of you who have helped me through my tube journey on this forum, and got me to find the enjoyment of tube rolling and find the sound I was seeking.

Rennex has posted this chart earlier in the thread and including again (with KUDO's to Rennex) that has helped me through this journey, and post for those still looking for tubes to get to the sound they are seeking
IMO it's very accurate so depending on the sound signature you're looking for, its a great place to start, and most of the tubes listed are still readily available (vs the E80cc) and at various price points.

1705778257170.png

And for those who want something a little more than the 12AU7, try out if you can borrow or are willing to buy them without hearing them, a set of the E80cc/6085 tubes. IMO they out shine the 12AU7's, they are just getting some damn hard to find now.
Don't worry about the extra power draw, Andy has confirmed with Cayin Engineering this amp can handle the E80cc's

Back to my new power tubes. Will be going through the various E80cc's and 12AU7's I have as the sound signature of these Mullard's is enjoyable but leaves me wondering what the synergy would be with other pre amp tubes. Perhaps the brighter E80cc's I own will be offest by the Mullard's?
Enjoying these over the Fivre, RAF Blackglass, and Brimar 6V6G power tubes I own.
Both the Mazda's and the Mullard's give the Bendix 5992's I own a solid run, and just present a different sound than the 5992's
Only problem with these new tubes, I can't find anymore NOS in the 6V6G ST style, all I can find NOS are the narrow bottle 6V6GT or GTA's
Will just have to enjoy them while I have them

Hope this information helps those starting their tube rolling and as I always like to state
The above is IMO, and YMMV

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #1,942 of 2,098
I view it as an adventure, from the hunt to find NOS tubes, hose sound IMO far out paces ANY of the new production tubes, to trying tube of different manufactures or even different years of the same manufacturer, it allows me to adjust and tune the sound, much more than can be done with the solid state amps I've had to date.
Rolling with known songs/tracks and just hearing how the changes are presented. Some not to my linking, but many present interesting differences

My latest change
My go to so far for power tubes have been the Mazda 6V6G ST/Coke bottle tubes from the 50's/Early 60's
But found a pristine set of Mullard 6V6G ST's. In orignal Mullard boxes and the silkscreening is intact, clear and complete on both tubes. A rare find.
I've read from MANY sources that Mullard did NOT make their own 6V6 tubes, and that they were either made by Marconi or Mazda
These have markings on the base and underside near the pins, that match other Mullard Tubes, that seem to indicate they were indeed manufactured in Great Britan
If anyone knows for sure, please hit me up with a response. I would appreciate knowing that information.

I can tell you these Mullard's do NOT sound anywhere like the Mazda's, or the Marconi's I have borrowed or sold off.
The Mazda's are very neutral, warmish sounding power tubes with the right pre amp tubes in front of them
These Mullard's just came in, and after some initial burn in, started to listen with the same E80cc tubes I've enjoyed with the Mazda's (happen to also be Mullard's) and wow, what difference...
The Mullard's are much warmer, solid deeper bass, not to heavy but definitely more present than the Mazda's. Matched with the E80cc's the highs remain clear and extended, but the Mullard's bring a different sound signature. Maybe a little more "fun" if not a little less accruate than the Mazda's
They've opened up a little more since I first got them with 24 hours of burn in. Initially the Mullards seemed to not be as clear as the Mazda's but with burn in they have smoothed out, cleared up and offer distinctly different sound than the Mazda's. Not better, just different.

Posting this info as I see new HA-3A owners posting, and encourage you to not give up on this amp. Rolling in tubes will make a HUGE change over the stock tubes.
Hoping info I have posted here and number of pages back will help those who are just starting out. Its my way to say thanks to those of you who have helped me through my tube journey on this forum, and got me to find the enjoyment of tube rolling and find the sound I was seeking.

Rennex has posted this chart earlier in the thread and including again (with KUDO's to Rennex) that has helped me through this journey, and post for those still looking for tubes to get to the sound they are seeking
IMO it's very accurate so depending on the sound signature you're looking for, its a great place to start, and most of the tubes listed are still readily available (vs the E80cc) and at various price points.

1705778257170.png

And for those who want something a little more than the 12AU7, try out if you can borrow or are willing to buy them without hearing them, a set of the E80cc/6085 tubes. IMO they out shine the 12AU7's, they are just getting some damn hard to find now.
Don't worry about the extra power draw, Andy has confirmed with Cayin Engineering this amp can handle the E80cc's

Back to my new power tubes. Will be going through the various E80cc's and 12AU7's I have as the sound signature of these Mullard's is enjoyable but leaves me wondering what the synergy would be with other pre amp tubes. Perhaps the brighter E80cc's I own will be offest by the Mullard's?
Enjoying these over the Fivre, RAF Blackglass, and Brimar 6V6G power tubes I own.
Both the Mazda's and the Mullard's give the Bendix 5992's I own a solid run, and just present a different sound than the 5992's
Only problem with these new tubes, I can't find anymore NOS in the 6V6G ST style, all I can find NOS are the narrow bottle 6V6GT or GTA's

Hope this information helps those starting their tube rolling and as I always like to state
I used the chart and found a RCA black plate pair for sale for 70 bucks. It sounds exactly as described, it’s so smooth that it makes my OG Utopia sound like the 2022 version.

This is a really malleable amp, I personally bought it because I found OTL models to be too distorted and lacking clarity. This amp for me has been the perfect middle ground of getting the staging and the syrupy characteristics of tubes I love.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #1,943 of 2,098
Good morning. I bought it today. It will still take some time to arrive home. What do you think about pairing it with an RME ADI-2 DAC via XLR? And what is the lowest price it has been found for?

Thank you.

Mar 22, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #1,945 of 2,098
Do you mean XLR cables? Topping and Schiit come to mind first, inexpensive and well made.

I am referring to the ha-3a. I bought it on AliExpress with the promotions but I would like to know what the minimum prices have been to know if my purchase was cheap or expensive.

Mar 22, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #1,947 of 2,098
I purchased mine from Russian distributor for about 1400$ with free shipping.
Thank you. But ¿without custom taxes?

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #1,948 of 2,098
Good morning. I bought it today. It will still take some time to arrive home. What do you think about pairing it with an RME ADI-2 DAC via XLR? And what is the lowest price it has been found for?

Thank you.
Hello,

I've been watching this thread, and looked around for an official Cayin distributor.
There are at least two in Spain, Studio 22 and Lyric Audio Elite.
There are others, but they charge more.

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #1,950 of 2,098
I view it as an adventure, from the hunt to find NOS tubes, whose sound IMO far out paces ANY of the new production tubes, to trying tube of different manufactures or even different years of the same manufacturer, it allows me to adjust and tune the sound, much more than can be done with the solid state amps I've had to date.

My latest change

IMG_9127.jpg

1705778257170.png

The ST Mullard looks more like a Mazda than any of the traditional British brands like GEC, STC, or Brimar. The off-white/yellowish glass printing and more solid grey glass coating looks a lot like those found on Mazda’s mil spec 6V6gt. Mazda was capable of making mil spec tubes for themselves which yours are as indicated by the arrow on the base. STCs and Brimars from the earlier “G” era typically have a more faded, inconsistent, and transparent glass coating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back