Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Mar 23, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #1,952 of 2,097
The ST Mullard looks more like a Mazda than any of the traditional British brands like GEC, STC, or Brimar. The off-white/yellowish glass printing and more solid grey glass coating looks a lot like those found on Mazda’s mil spec 6V6gt. Mazda was capable of making mil spec tubes for themselves which yours are as indicated by the arrow on the base. STCs and Brimars from the earlier “G” era typically have a more faded, inconsistent, and transparent glass coating.
Yakbob

Thank You
I thought this was the case and these Mullards are actually Mazda's as I noted, others have said Mullard did NOT have a 6V6 showing in the production catalog, but what is troubling me I've also found markings that correspond to British Factories for other Mullards. Either way I have them, am enjoying them and they do sound different than the Mazda's in my photo, so I guess I will stop worrying and just start enjoying...

Thank You for your info and appreciate your response!

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #1,954 of 2,097
Question from a tube inexperienced guy, I read the reviews that the higher priced Cayin amps like HA300mk2 and HA-6A are more thick and warm sounding while 3A is more thin and neutral in comparison, so will these tube upgrades brings its sound closer to the higher tier Cayins.

Mar 24, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #1,955 of 2,097
Question from a tube inexperienced guy, I read the reviews that the higher priced Cayin amps like HA300mk2 and HA-6A are more thick and warm sounding while 3A is more thin and neutral in comparison, so will these tube upgrades brings its sound closer to the higher tier Cayins.
Whilst I haven't heard the other Cayin amps, I will say that tubes rolling will change the sound signature using any tube amplifier.

If you want a thick and warm sound from this amp then I suggest you look at for wide soundstage - Reflektor 6V6 & Sylfania 5814A tubes or for more intimate soundstage - Brimar Black Beauty 6V6 and Telefunken ECC82 tubes.

Right now I am using the Reflektor 6V6 and Telefunken ECC82 as the Telefunken tubes provide the most detail and naturalness that doesn't colour the sound compared to the Sylvania.

I will order a pair of the Telefunken 6V6 also as I would like to see what they do against the Reflektors.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #1,958 of 2,097
I will order a pair of the Telefunken 6V6 also as I would like to see what they do against the Reflektors
I think Telefunken never made 6v6 tubes. Must be a relabel ?

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #1,959 of 2,097
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #1,960 of 2,097
Will be most interested in your impressions with the Telefunken 6V6 tubes,I have the Telefunken ECC82 they are great but I miss the bass punch.
Whilst the Telefunken ECC82 have slightly less bass punch compared to Sylvania tubes, they do offer more bass texture and an uncoloured, more detailed experience and if you pair them with Brimar Black Beauty 6V6 tubes, you will get a heavy bass punch but at the sacrifice of soundstage.

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #1,961 of 2,097
Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #1,962 of 2,097
That's obviously a chinese or russian relabel from new production. Not old stock Telefunken.
Oh I see....

I bought the same new stock Telefunken ECC82 tubes and they are currently my favourite so I have high hopes for the 6V6 variant.

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #1,963 of 2,097
Oh I see....

I bought the same new stock Telefunken ECC82 tubes and they are currently my favourite so I have high hopes for the 6V6 variant.
Sure if you enjoy the sound. The Cayin HA-3A doesn't show the quality difference between NOS and new production so clearly like an OTL amp.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #1,964 of 2,097
Whilst the Telefunken ECC82 have slightly less bass punch compared to Sylvania tubes, they do offer more bass texture and an uncoloured, more detailed experience and if you pair them with Brimar Black Beauty 6V6 tubes, you will get a heavy bass punch but at the sacrifice of soundstage.
The liveliness and soundstage are the reasons why I gone tubes. Never missed the punch, probably because I listen to classics mostly.
1711458362991.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #1,965 of 2,097
So people often mistake tube sound with thick and warm due to the OTL nature of cheap tube amps like dark voice or xduoo ta26. Cayin's amps are otc and these sound more smooth and natural. If you want a thicker sound there are options like brimars or rca backplate 12au7. Ultimately if you wanted to you can get a thicker sound out of the ha6a vs 3a, but the differences between these 2 amps are more nuanced with different tube configurations. The 6a requires 2 rectifier 22de4 tubes, so if sourcing them or the kt88/el34 is a problem for you or you prefer the sound of 6v6gt/12au7 then the 3a would be the way to go. Stock tubes, the 6a and 3a are more or less similar since stock tubes are just not that good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back