Cayin HA-3A, a Compact 6V6s Transformer-coupled Tube Amplifier
Apr 5, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #1,981 of 2,221
So I have been using the cv4003 12au7wa brimars but they were really noisy, got replacements and while they were a bit better, the replacement tubes were still noisy. I have been sort of tolerating slight humming that comes and goes. Swapped to 12au7 mullards that came in today and they are dead silent. Idk is this a case of getting bad tubes twice or just bad storage conditions for the brimars throughout the years?

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #1,982 of 2,221
I always thought that changing voltage from 22 to 17V means rearranging secondary windings of the power transformer. At least I read it was done when switching from 22DE4 to 25AX4GT. Not that small change imho (unless each Cayin’s transformer already has windings 17,22 and 25V)
Please correct me someone, but I consider transformers as core of tube amplifier. The rest is easily upgradeable.

We don't need to rewind the output transformer when we change the rectifier tube in HA-6A and HA-3A.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 5, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #1,984 of 2,221
I preferred to connect the HA-3A via RCA, but since my Euforia only has RCA, I had to connect the HA-3A via XLR.
The input signal was therefore too hot for my taste, and with dynamic headphones I couldn't even go to 9 o'clock on the volume control.

To get around this, I used volume leveling in Room, as well as extra headroom of -10dB, but then the transmission was no longer bit-perfect.
Solution:
IMG_2447.jpeg

XLR Attenuator :)

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #1,985 of 2,221
I preferred to connect the HA-3A via RCA, but since my Euforia only has RCA, I had to connect the HA-3A via XLR.
The input signal was therefore too hot for my taste, and with dynamic headphones I couldn't even go to 9 o'clock on the volume control.

To get around this, I used volume leveling in Room, as well as extra headroom of -10dB, but then the transmission was no longer bit-perfect.
Solution:
IMG_2447.jpeg

I like to have a 4 pin XLR attenuator with resistors of the same values than those used on the 4.4 out to use on the XLR output:L3000:

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #1,986 of 2,221

Solution:
IMG_2447.jpeg

That would make me a bit nervous as there is a lot of cantilever force hanging off those XLR jacks.

I have a similar situation with multiple amps running off a DAC output and I ended up going with an RCA switcher instead, which may be a safer approach.

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #1,987 of 2,221
Yeah, I think I'd be more inclined to try a separate xlr-to-rca converter like this J-Iso converter, or a switcher like @AnyDave suggested (even besides the additional weight hanging off the ports I don't have nearly this much clearance between my amp and the wall). I know ampsandsound has a converter also but it's really pricey.

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #1,988 of 2,221
Yeah, I think I'd be more inclined to try a separate xlr-to-rca converter like this J-Iso converter, or a switcher like @AnyDave suggested (even besides the additional weight hanging off the ports I don't have nearly this much clearance between my amp and the wall). I know ampsandsound has a converter also but it's really pricey.

Yeah, the J-Iso converter should work great. Radial makes solid stuff. I use their live switchers with my tube guitar amp heads, which is a much riskier application and they work great.

Apr 5, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #1,989 of 2,221
That would make me a bit nervous as there is a lot of cantilever force hanging off those XLR jacks.
This is not a problem, I have now moved the device a little closer to the wall, the cables that are now directly on the wall hold the plugs in place.

I have a similar situation with multiple amps running off a DAC output and I ended up going with an RCA switcher instead, which may be a safer approach.
I have a RCA switch, even a very good one, but for my taste it doesn't fit into the overall picture.

IMG_2448.jpeg

At best, I could put the Switch next to the Euforia...

Apr 5, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #1,990 of 2,221
This is not a problem, I have now moved the device a little closer to the wall, the cables that are now directly on the wall hold the plugs in place.

I have a RCA switch, even a very good one, but for my taste it doesn't fit into the overall picture.

IMG_2448.jpeg

At best, I could put the Switch next to the Euforia...

Yeah, I can understand that. I'm just worried about the stress put on the XLR jacks on the 3A.

Apr 5, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #1,991 of 2,221
Apr 5, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #1,992 of 2,221
Great, now I'm getting worried too… :thinking:

Sorry, I'm just trying to help. Having a long stiff cantilever hanging off a jack like that is something I would personally avoid if at all possible. I think there might be other options that are less risky to the amplifier.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #1,993 of 2,221
Everything is fine :)
The RCA switch has the same size as the Red, could look quite good - I order RCA cables...

Apr 8, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #1,994 of 2,221
Just pulled the trigger on ha 3a. Hope it goes well with zmf caldera.
I've got some nice 12au7 tubes. Any recommendations for power/rectifier?
Looking for deep bass and lush treable.
Thank you very much!

Apr 8, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #1,995 of 2,221

Users who are viewing this thread

Back