CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 19, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #7,923 of 31,846
Slater, hehe, funny coincidence....find these in thriftstore for a buck when I was searching for toys for my kid. Just find a little toy for me finally! Baaaaaad Daaaaad!
and it give two nice thing:
1-a big nostalgia shoot, as I have the same with my sony yellow walkman when I was.
2-a very okay sound, no distortion even with bassy track, and very airy. Did sound too ''grainy'' with Ibasso DX90 but with Xduoo X10 I find the right unlikely couple! Very comfy too, and I don't care to look like a jerk, find everybody look like (too serious) jerks these days.

EDIT:
Euh....160$ on Amazon.com???? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat da fock!?!?
Well, sure don't sound bad....try them with ultra bassy tracks and it can handle it like no earbuds I try. Man, gotta love vintage stuff!
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-W20G-Headphones-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00005BYER

Hey, I finally found a pair of working Sony MDR-W20G.

The 1st pair I found were beat up really bad, 1 side was blown, and the other side didn’t sound that great because the driver tuning filter was disintegrating (with the foam particles falling down inside of the driver). That’s probably what caused the one side to die.

This 2nd pair literally looks brand new, like they’ve never been used a single time since the day they were made 20 years ago. I finally got to hear what the W20G is supposed to sound like.

All I can say is wow! The sound of these (especially when amped) would easily rival current gear. They sound like an improved KSC75. Nice warm and natural sound, strong sub bass (due to the vertical design), sparkly and airy treble, and superb soundstage (just like a great earbud).

They are very light and compact, and no foam covers are necessary. Because they are 100% plastic (including the headband), they appear somwehat fragile (being 20 years old doesn't help any either). But the plastic is typical Sony quality, and they were designed to be used for "Sports", so I have hopes they won't snap in 2. The wire is also very thin and fragile looking, but it seems fairly easy to recable if/when that becomes necessary.

If you ever have a chance to pick these up for a few bucks at a garage sale, 2nd hand store, or eBay, don’t pass it up.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #7,924 of 31,846
guys and which is better in general ibasso it01 or tfz king pro.. for example soundstage, vocals, instruments are they accurate.. and which one is most resolving in details ... thanks

Long time lurker, first time poster. This thread has single handedly turned me into an IEM hoarder, which has not been ideal for my wallet :grimacing:. Anyway, @zazaboy, I too saw the sale on AliExpress on the TFZ King Pro and spent several hours in agony trying to decide whether to buy that or the IT01. I ended up choosing the iBasso IT01 for the reasons below, but please keep in mind how subjective some of the factors were (I am based in the US). This is my first IEM around the $100 price category so I put a little more research into it than I had time for.

1) Sound quality. @dhruvmeena96 posted a comparison earlier with a strong preference for the King Pro. Based on that review alone, the TFZ would be the clear winner. However, from the IT01 thread, Massdrop discussion, posts by @ryanjsoo and @SciOC, and other review sites, I believe the difference in sound quality between the two may not be quite that large. More often than not, reviewers have who have tried both have written that the two are comparable and that ultimately, personal preference determines which one is "better." To my amateur ears, it was reassuring to read that the vast majority of people who tried both have also been pleased with both. Therefore, I give the King Pro a slight edge here over the IT01, but I was reassured that I would not be led astray with either one.

2) Build quality/quality control. Perusing the Head-Fi threads for the IEMs, it appears that users have experienced issues with both. Given this is all anecdotal and empiric evidence, it would be incorrect to conclude that one IEM has more QC problems than the other. The vast, vast majority of purchasers will not encounter any issues. However, the important thing to draw from this is that both can be problematic. Therefore, you should consider what you would do if you were one of the unlucky ones that happened to get a bum pair. Most of my IEMs have been under $50 and I've bought many of them on AliExpress. Given their lower prices, the promise of great sound quality superseded the risk of a pair becoming defective later on. With a $100 IEM, I am more likely to seek restitution if something went wrong, which brings me to point #3.

3) Customer support/engagement. At the time of my decision, I had the option to purchase the IT01 on Amazon through a third-party seller or the TFZ King Pro through AliExpress during their anniversary sale. The prices were about same. Not knowing much about either company, I decided to do a little research. Both companies are reputable and produce quality IEMs. However, iBasso clearly wins on outreach and engagement. They are simply more visible and make more of an effort to interact with their customers. This is in stark contrast to @SciOC's experience with TFZ, who was radio silent and never responded to messages. iBasso seems to care about its customers, which to me is an important quality in a company. It's not as important to me with less expensive IEMs, but at this price level it's something to consider. If something went wrong with my IEM, I am much more confident that the issue would be resolved by a combination of Amazon/iBasso vs. AliExpress/TFZ.

4) Other thoughts. I do not own any 2-pin IEMs but I do have several that use the MMCX connector. The MMCX cable that comes with the IT01 is supposedly top-notch and therefore adds extra value to me. I also value time: I could either wait for the Anniversary Sale then wait weeks for the King Pro to be delivered (at which point who knows what other IEM I'll be interested in - this thread is too dangerous), or I could have the IT01 in hand the same day and start enjoying it right away.

In the end, even though the TFZ King Pro seems to win on sound quality (and probably not by much), I knew I wasn't going to be disappointed with the sound quality of the IT01. Adding on the other reasons above, the IT01 was the right IEM for me. They'll be arriving on my doorstep later today. Not sure how much of this will be relevant to other users, but just wanted to share in case any other people are in a similar position! :)

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #7,925 of 31,846
I know that the ibasso it01 and tfz king pro are close.. some users said that tfz king pro is better because of the soundstage.. and imaging.. etc.. but ibasso it01 is a great iem aswell ....

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #7,926 of 31,846
Long time lurker, first time poster. This thread has single handedly turned me into an IEM hoarder, which has not been ideal for my wallet :grimacing:. Anyway, @zazaboy, I too saw the sale on AliExpress on the TFZ King Pro and spent several hours in agony trying to decide whether to buy that or the IT01. I ended up choosing the iBasso IT01 for the reasons below, but please keep in mind how subjective some of the factors were (I am based in the US). This is my first IEM around the $100 price category so I put a little more research into it than I had time for.

1) Sound quality. @dhruvmeena96 posted a comparison earlier with a strong preference for the King Pro. Based on that review alone, the TFZ would be the clear winner. However, from the IT01 thread, Massdrop discussion, posts by @ryanjsoo and @SciOC, and other review sites, I believe the difference in sound quality between the two may not be quite that large. More often than not, reviewers have who have tried both have written that the two are comparable and that ultimately, personal preference determines which one is "better." To my amateur ears, it was reassuring to read that the vast majority of people who tried both have also been pleased with both. Therefore, I give the King Pro a slight edge here over the IT01, but I was reassured that I would not be led astray with either one.

2) Build quality/quality control. Perusing the Head-Fi threads for the IEMs, it appears that users have experienced issues with both. Given this is all anecdotal and empiric evidence, it would be incorrect to conclude that one IEM has more QC problems than the other. The vast, vast majority of purchasers will not encounter any issues. However, the important thing to draw from this is that both can be problematic. Therefore, you should consider what you would do if you were one of the unlucky ones that happened to get a bum pair. Most of my IEMs have been under $50 and I've bought many of them on AliExpress. Given their lower prices, the promise of great sound quality superseded the risk of a pair becoming defective later on. With a $100 IEM, I am more likely to seek restitution if something went wrong, which brings me to point #3.

3) Customer support/engagement. At the time of my decision, I had the option to purchase the IT01 on Amazon through a third-party seller or the TFZ King Pro through AliExpress during their anniversary sale. The prices were about same. Not knowing much about either company, I decided to do a little research. Both companies are reputable and produce quality IEMs. However, iBasso clearly wins on outreach and engagement. They are simply more visible and make more of an effort to interact with their customers. This is in stark contrast to @SciOC's experience with TFZ, who was radio silent and never responded to messages. iBasso seems to care about its customers, which to me is an important quality in a company. It's not as important to me with less expensive IEMs, but at this price level it's something to consider. If something went wrong with my IEM, I am much more confident that the issue would be resolved by a combination of Amazon/iBasso vs. AliExpress/TFZ.

4) Other thoughts. I do not own any 2-pin IEMs but I do have several that use the MMCX connector. The MMCX cable that comes with the IT01 is supposedly top-notch and therefore adds extra value to me. I also value time: I could either wait for the Anniversary Sale then wait weeks for the King Pro to be delivered (at which point who knows what other IEM I'll be interested in - this thread is too dangerous), or I could have the IT01 in hand the same day and start enjoying it right away.

In the end, even though the TFZ King Pro seems to win on sound quality (and probably not by much), I knew I wasn't going to be disappointed with the sound quality of the IT01. Adding on the other reasons above, the IT01 was the right IEM for me. They'll be arriving on my doorstep later today. Not sure how much of this will be relevant to other users, but just wanted to share in case any other people are in a similar position! :)
Great first post.

Traditional Head-fi greeting: Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #7,927 of 31,846

Amazing post :) I bought the iT01 for the same reasons and I have to thank everyone that I asked wuestionq for that, it's a great IEM.
Another reason I don't like to buy expensive IEM in AliExpress, is because of the customer care and warranty. I bought mine in a Spain shop, so I have 2 year warranty, that and a great cable, great build quality, great sound(still burning), I am a very happy man, in fact...like happened with my RHA m750, I think I found my end game (till they break...)

Mar 19, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #7,928 of 31,846
I am not sure about the BA used but I'm really impressed by these, they came in the New Year Fukubukuro, most of which went to Japan (came a lot cheaper then). Would be best to wait 9 days as they will be discounted by 25%. And yes the isolation is pretty good, I use double flanged tips
Thanks! I shall keep a lookout for them

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #7,929 of 31,846
They're very nice for sleeping or napping. Not quite small enough that you could wear them if you're putting your head on a table to nap but if you've got something soft like a pillow they're fine for me. I liked how they sounded and the comfort that I bought a 2nd pair as a back up just because they are so inexpensive.

Yeah I've been using them with the small KZ spiral tips and they are very comfortable when sleeping.

And also as a general suggestion, everyone that owns the Einsear T2 should definitely buy the KZ spiral tips for it, it's much more noise isolating than the stock ones and they also sport the same wide 5mm bore as the stock ones, which produces a better sound than normal 4mm narrow ones.

Mar 19, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #7,930 of 31,846
Yeah I've been using them with the small KZ spiral tips and they are very comfortable when sleeping.

And also as a general suggestion, everyone that owns the Einsear T2 should definitely buy the KZ spiral tips for it, it's much more noise isolating than the stock ones and they also sport the same wide 5mm bore as the stock ones, which produces a better sound than normal 4mm narrow ones.

Or better yet, the Tennmak version, which are superior to the KZ Spirals (aka Turbos aka Whirlwinds).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1895#post-14061542

The KZs tear too easy (where indicated below) They may as well be made of tissue paper LOL. The Tennmaks are the real deal - significantly tougher.

KZ-Turbo-Tip-Tear.jpg

Mar 19, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #7,932 of 31,846
Mar 20, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #7,933 of 31,846
Hey all.

Could any of you guys give me a nice recommendation for a cheap great IEM for someone who listens to mainly EDM/Electronic music as well as a lot of podcasts? Also would use for gaming.

So guessing good but not overpowering bass and generally all-round well performing.

Been reading through this and a couple other threads all morning and afternoon and my shortlist has grown rather than shrunk!

Ideally not over-ear cable ones.

Thanks in advance!
I think T2 would be your best choice

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #7,934 of 31,846
Well @Nymphonomaniac sir

I saw your review on nicehck bro.

I want to ask specific things.

1. Well how wide is soundstage
2. How deep is soundstage
3. How clear are mids
4. How smooth is treble plus airy

Answer can be compared to your TOTL IEM in your collection

Well anybody can answer this, whoever have bro

Well. . I came in this bro hype recently
It destroys shure 215 and reaches 535 level(claims)

Well, I can see it is better than zst and es3....but by how much margin..

And how is soundstage.

Well I ask is I have zst, es3 and zsr.

But I want something more relaxed and detail a little better TinAudio T1. Well resolution is good, means what I am perceiving as detail is nicely presented but not enough after a home audition of dita dream with software bass boost.

TOTL means top of the line

Mar 20, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #7,935 of 31,846

That's a very good summary, and as of today, tfz support has still not responded to me, BUT, the seller, lend me ur ears, is replacing the king pro for me.... So be choosey who you buy through with tfz.... We all know Paul@ibasso.com is always lurking around here, versus nobody apparently speaking any English at tfz.... They should really get some US reps...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back