Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #26,116 of 35,472
It is common sense. the sound is split in lows, mids and highs. All of them can not be forward, because it is measured relative to one another. If highs are raised compared to lows and mids, it means that lows and mids are recessed compared to highs. So if all three are forward, it means that all three are also recessed. Can you see that does not add up?

This isn't a fact for me either, I really don't know where you got this from but I don't agree.

well the lows, mids and highs are not just one freq each, its a range of frequencies. Each range can have a  peak on its own. So yes It does add up. Pull up any proper equalizer and see for yourself :)

+1!

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #26,118 of 35,472

well the lows, mids and highs are not just one freq each, its a range of frequencies. Each range can have a  peak on its own. So yes It does add up. Pull up any proper equalizer and see for yourself :)

I know that there are infinite possibilities. But you would not know what a person would talk about if we are talking about such terms as a W-shaped sound. Which frequencies are recessed? which are forward? is it the upper bass that is recessed? is it the lower mids? Again, it is impossible to know. To make it even harder we could start talking about a LWS shaped curve or WWL shaped, but nobody would have an idea what that meant, just like you do not know what to expect if somebody say that some earphones are "W-shaped". 

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #26,119 of 35,472
This isn't a fact for me either, I really don't know where you got this from but I don't agree.
+1!

Of course you can have more/less subbass, midbass, low mids, high mids low highs etc, but then there are so many different variables that it is impossible to know what somebody is talking about when then say W-shaped.. Is the deep bass raised/recessed, is the low highs raised/recessed? impossible to know. :wink: 

I know that none of you know what another one actually means when he says "W-shaped", because there is no way for you to know which frequencies are forward and which are recessed, unless the person explains that in detail. But if you do not care about knowing about the signature until you hear the earphones yourselves then go ahead and talk in these terms. You might even say "WWW-shaped sound"; makes just as much sense to you anyway. 

Apr 23, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #26,120 of 35,472
I don't know, I've never seen any universal chart over exactly what frequencies a V shape is supposed to include but maybe I've just missed it.

Tbh I find this discussion pretty ridiculous, we will obviously not agree so I'll just leave it at this.

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #26,121 of 35,472
I don't know, I've never seen any universal chart over exactly what frequencies a V shape is supposed to include but maybe I've just missed it.

Tbh I find this discussion pretty ridiculous, we will obviously not agree so I'll just leave it at this.

V-shaped is, unlike W-shaped, very simple: forward bass and highs, which means recessed mids. 
And yes, it might be ridiculous, but I think that there is too much incoherence and too little logic in this thread. Of course that is just my opinion.

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #26,122 of 35,472
V-shaped is, unlike W-shaped, very simple: forward bass and highs, which means recessed mids. 

And yes, it might be ridiculous, but I think that there is too much incoherence and too little logic in this thread. Of course that is just my opinion.

Yes it's your opinion and you're very welcome to share it. What I had problems with was you calling it a fact.

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #26,123 of 35,472
Yes it's your opinion and you're very welcome to share it. What I had problems with was you calling it a fact.

It is common sense. If somebody calls an earphone W-shaped there will have to be three frequency ranges that are forward and two that are recessed. Now think about this: which three do you think the given person means are forward and which two are recessed? Exactly. you would not have a clue. 

Okay, if it makes you happy, let's call it my opinion. But it does not change that none of you knows what it means if another person calls an earphone W-shaped, and you know that. 

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #26,124 of 35,472
It is common sense. If somebody calls an earphone W-shaped there will have to be three frequency ranges that are forward and two that are recessed. Now think about this: which three do you think the given person means are forward and which two are recessed? Exactly. you would not have a clue. 

Okay, if it makes you happy, let's call it my opinion. But it does not change that none of you knows what it means if another person calls an earphone W-shaped, and you know that. 

Eh, the accuracy is exactly as good (or rather bad) as in V shaped imo but you seem think that V shape as description is very accurate, which I don't. To me they're both just saying something about the presentation in general. Your opinion is obviously not common sense since it's rather common to use it in here but just something that you seem to have a problem with.

Maybe when you've been around for some more time you get more used to the way things are described in here and also realize that there's very little facts and very many subjective opinions being used here.

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #26,125 of 35,472
Gentlemen - I see a little debate going on here about the frequency curve of a headphone.  Could we just cool it, and acknowledge that it is all just opinion when you aren't actually identifying specific frequencies? Not only that, we all have different anatomies - which means often the frequencies themselves will vary for each of us.

All of you have made good points on the W shaped vs whatever else you want to call it.  Just my 2c, but anyone wanting to be accurate will try and identify the relative frequencies when you're talking curves - and that includes V shaped, W shaped or S shaped 
smile.gif

The important thing to realise is that we are all actual people here - and while it may seem necessary to try and put ones point across, sometimes it is just as necessary to consider the other side of the debate as if it were your own position.  Consider that for a minute. Jacob - that would mean you debating that the response can indeed be W shaped.  And Peter / Tamal and others - it means looking at the comment W shaped, and thinking how hard that would be to actually understand when someone describes it as W shaped.

And it could be that doing this simple exercise might lead us all to better understanding ..... and be a lot more peaceful 
wink.gif

Seriously guys - its an IEM - why is this discussion escalating?

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #26,127 of 35,472
All good Paul :) I didn't see this debate as particularly heated but I see no point in discussing it any further either.

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #26,129 of 35,472
Let's see... $149 + $349 = $498. Then $498/$40 = 12.45. So, yes, they sound 12.45 times better compared to the OEM cable. Right?!!!

Tinsel came with the Lyra, SXC 8 was $319, SXC 24 was $179(forgot exact amout). All of them come with warranty. They are durable and the manufacturer is well known in this industry. I'm kinda a cable guy, so yes they can change sound signatures for better or sometimes worse. Is it 12.45 times better!? No. But did I have second thoughts on a purchase, probably not.

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #26,130 of 35,472
A couple of posts were flagged by someone not involved - so i just wanted to make sure you were all OK down here.  I'll just amble along now & you guys can get back to what you were doing 
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back