Chord Anni
Aug 23, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #16 of 564
Its Chord and its a product in the hifi realm. Price justification often doesn't exist!
Well I have the cutest and the justification is that no other days sound like the chord DACs. Simple. Would that be the case for this product? I am not sure. Also the only products that have been successful are all from Rob Watts. Not sure who designed this one. Any ideas?

Aug 23, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #17 of 564
Can't it drive a susvara from the near field output!

Aug 23, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #21 of 564
I like my Qutest. But I haven't liked hearing the TT2. Leads me to believe I don't like Chord amplification.

You need listen to TToby or Etude to decide whether you like Chord amplification or not.

TT2, just like Hugo 2/Qutest, there is no "amplification board" inside. It has headphone plug though.

Aug 23, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #22 of 564

I like my Chord DAC. But listening to the TT2, not a fan. Do I just not like the Chord headphone amplification sound?

You need listen to TToby or Etude to decide whether you like Chord amplification or not.

TT2, just like Hugo 2/Qutest, there is no "amplification board" inside. It has headphone plug though.
As above. Only talking headphone. Speaker amplification different fish of kettles.

Aug 23, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #23 of 564
So, a Qutest + Anni stack is, basically, the Hugo 2 on steroids? From the looks of things, it'll get this system pretty darn close to a standalone Hugo TT 2. Nice.

I wonder if Chord has any other goodies hidden up their sleeves? A Mojo 2 has been rumored for a while now.

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #24 of 564
I like my Chord DAC. But listening to the TT2, not a fan. Do I just not like the Chord headphone amplification sound?
No such thing as a dramatic sound difference between solid state amps. It’s just power. You should only hear differences between SS amps if you have hard-to-drive cans/speakers and one amp has sufficient power while another does not. Or if there are build issues with an amp.

SS tech is so well-establish and easy to produce flawlessly these days that it is possible to get great clean consistent power for pennies on the watt. The Anni is slick, and matches nicely with the Qutest, but for the money, I dunno. That said, I think for most audiophiles, myself included, gear is 75% function and 25% jewelry. I’ve been known to buy an expensive cable or two simply because they look and feel great, while simultaneously not believing the stuff about how it will “completely upgrade the sound of my headphone”…

Anyway, regarding the difference you’re hearing… Chord doesn’t use off-the-rack chips, they engineer the sound of each DAC model individually, with custom implemented chips… FPGA, to be precise (Field Programmable Gate Array). This creates a greater range within the Chord DAC house sound, from model line to model line, then you might find with other manufacturers using off-the-rack chips. You probably just like the sound of the DAC implementation in whatever Chord model you have more than the DAC implementation in the TT2. I’m not a fan of the TT2 sound either, much prefer the Mojo.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #25 of 564
No such thing as a dramatic sound difference between solid state amps. It’s just power. You should only hear differences between SS amps if you have hard-to-drive cans/speakers and one amp has sufficient power while another does not. Or if there are build issues with an amp.

SS tech is so well-establish and easy to produce flawlessly these days that it is possible to get great clean consistent power for pennies on the watt. The Anni is slick, and matches nicely with the Qutest, but for the money, I dunno. That said, I think for most audiophiles, myself included, gear is 75% function and 25% jewelry. I’ve been known to buy an expensive cable or two simply because they look and feel great, while simultaneously not believing the stuff about how it will “completely upgrade the sound of my headphone”…

Anyway, regarding the difference you’re hearing… Chord doesn’t use off-the-rack chips, they engineer the sound of each DAC model individually, with custom implemented chips… FPGA, to be precise (Field Programmable Gate Array). This creates a greater range within the Chord DAC house sound, from model line to model line, then you might find with other manufacturers using off-the-rack chips. You probably just like the sound of the DAC implementation in whatever Chord model you have more than the DAC implementation in the TT2. I’m not a fan of the TT2 sound either, much prefer the Mojo.
What are you smoking?

All SS amps sound the same if they are driving the headphones well?

Cables yeah, maybe. Solid State amps, no. Distinct and clear differences in sound. A Violectric V281 doesn't sound like a Topping A90

Aug 23, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #26 of 564
What are you smoking?
Science?

Okay, that was snarky.

Look, here’s a simple experiment. Firstly, we can both agree that it is far easier to ascertain differences in the visible spectrum of light than it is the subtle nuances of audio, right?

So wire a $10,000 solid state amp and a $150 solid state amp to run a filament (Edison) bulb. This type of bulb is very sensitive to power input. Assuming the same amount of clean, consistent power from the two amplifiers, a light meter will show identical brightness and color temp from both amps. It’s just power.

Now if you want to debate that the tolerances will be higher on the hand-made mega-buck amp vs the Amazon special, sure… They may very well be. But again, this is old tech. We pretty much nailed it decades ago. Since probably 1980 (some would argue earlier), it has been possible to produce inexpensive solid state amplifiers that provide clean consistent power.

That all said, if you want the trick one, by all means, get the trick one. This is a hobby. It’s what hobbyists do.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #29 of 564
The headphone amp part I get on Anni. But what does near-field studio amplifier mean? Speaker amp?
Pretty sure that "near field" = code for "low powered", or suitable for desktop listening only with passive speakers.

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #30 of 564
Well it would be interesting to have a soild-state headphone option available. As it stands now my Qutest feeds directly into my ALO Studio Six tube amp. Having Anni stacked with Qutest would also give me another option for headphone amplification.

I'm interested in learning more.

Also this would most likely slide into the Qutest system stand(which I own) then Annie could be stacked with Qutest saving on desktop space.

Definitely interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back