Chord Hugo
Jul 5, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #6,091 of 15,694

The general consensus is that there is no general consensus - use what sounds best to you. 

- several here claim they enjoy coax best

- Rob Watts, the designer, has given objective and subjective reasons why he prefers the optical --toslink-- connection (auto-correct, you little swine ..) and they all seem perfectly logical to me. He also gives some reasons why the usual issues around jitter with a --toslink-- cable aren't a big deal with Hugo

- for all of the above, I'm sticking with USB and others are also enjoying various custom USB cable solutions

Note that with coax you will have to ensure that your player is set to convert any SACD/DSD source files to PCM. 

Thanks! USB suits me fine,it's now just a question of finding one that fits!

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #6,092 of 15,694
Hugo-HD650s and Dre's 2001 album. Sound heaven. Though I'm not a big hiphop fan, I like that album as it has some very good songs and also very good mastering. There's no artificial loudness. As I said before, Hugo has the best bass I've ever heard from a dac.

I hope you guys don't get mad because I don't exclusively listen to audiophile music (classic, jazz). :) I like all genres when the music is good.

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #6,093 of 15,694
  Hugo-HD650s and Dre's 2001 album. Sound heaven. Though I'm not a big hiphop fan, I like that album as it has some very good songs and also very good mastering. There's no artificial loudness. As I said before, Hugo has the best bass I've ever heard from a dac.

I hope you guys don't get mad because I don't exclusively listen to audiophile music (classic, jazz). :) I like all genres when the music is good.

We have no more right to criticise your taste in music than you have to call us old farts  :wink:

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #6,095 of 15,694
Sadly, I read part of it - the usual CA brawl over who's the smartest guy in the room. Pass. 

Exactly. In the end the found out nothing , added more confusion and promised nothing either. And it's 15 pages of this.

Al

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #6,097 of 15,694
Hi estreeter. Even with my cheapo 5.00 speakers and running straight in computer with cheapo all in one pc soundcard, PCM to DSD does work with Jriver and you can clearly hear that the sound is more relaxed with less harshness and edge. Instruments have more space individually and reverb and decays are a lot better. Pre ringing and post ringing is nearly completely gone when converted.
Everything just sounds more pure and realistic without clogging.
Overall presentation is more balanced and stays composed throughout the full spectrum.

Even further, switch option to Wasapi is you are using PC. With Wasapi chosen I actually listened to a classic piece for full 4 minutes with enjoyment.

I wonder how DS is like and kinda get what AL is talking about in his comparison after trying Jriver and its PCM to DSD conversion today.

Yea someone understands me :laughing::laughing::laughing:

There is atleast three designs. If not more . The wholes changed size twice. , the color of the output jacks changed and according to ted there was a change in components inside . Something to do with the usb I think he said. So for me we should do a compile of serial numbers so we may know what happened and when. I can post my insides and serial number with pics . It would be nice if someone can take the info and make a chart to follow.
Al

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #6,099 of 15,694
I think I posted a while back some really good dsd downloads to try. Also a really good redbook too .
Al

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #6,100 of 15,694
Yea someone understands me :laughing::laughing::laughing:

There is atleast three designs. If not more . The wholes changed size twice. , the color of the output jacks changed and according to ted there was a change in components inside . Something to do with the usb I think he said. So for me we should do a compile of serial numbers so we may know what happened and when. I can post my insides and serial number with pics . It would be nice if someone can take the info and make a chart to follow.
Al

if memory serves me right there have only been two versions of the Hugo, the first rendition was the Hugo with smaller RCA holes etc., the current Hugo has wider RCA holes, a more accessible on/off switch & USB port(?), hth.

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #6,101 of 15,694
Not sure why but mine has RCA jacks for the output are black and red . No white this makes the third. It could also mean I have the newer internal changes as well not sure.

But I posted a pic and this was confirmed many pages back. Please do not take this as a rant it's not . I like the hugo I am just helping keep,things clear to all others of the device.

There was a pic of all three as well as mine posted

Al

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #6,102 of 15,694

We have no more right to criticise your taste in music than you have to call us old farts  :wink:

Lol, I'd never do that. :) I'm 28 so not that young (or am I?)  I just listen to most genres, but rock and electronic music are my favourites. I listened to The Beatles albums  (2009 remastered set) yesterday night. Their music never age.

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #6,103 of 15,694
Heck I am the old hairy ears of the bunch at 57 So who is what here anyway. How old is silver ears ???

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #6,104 of 15,694
I have been told by multiple people that the new version of Hugo sounds better than the first version.... This is not a fact I have verified myself and also not a complaint... it would be good if someone who has access to both versions and validate if this claim is true...

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #6,105 of 15,694
I have been told by multiple people that the new version of Hugo sounds better than the first version.... This is not a fact I have verified myself and also not a complaint... it would be good if someone who has access to both versions and validate if this claim is true...

That is just the point it's rumors. And I do not do rumors. I do facts. I have offered to open mine up and post pics with SER number and the side profile. And if someone else cares let me know but I am not going to be the only one doing this . Also I have a very new one by my SER number i would think we need people sub 10 k in SER number for it to matter. The very least is the mystery of why the black and red and no red and white RCA jacks. This if anything else makes no sense unless a company wants it to clear the them of a design change . This sis a mystery I would like a honest answer too. But unfortunately owners never can be and then the reps do no better. And this is not pointed at chord as all of the companies do this. It must be this way just to stay in business and I get this. But a little fact from the company would dispel many rumors. Ted b mentioned something about the usb changing , his does he know this ? And why not a public posting of it.
Later today I will do what I said but for those who can help do so. Or of not lets just stop caring about the changes and play the music and enjoy. I am too old for pure conjecture about a product I paid over two k usd for and for once i a lucky to get the so called newer version or do I have that turned around and the older ones are lucky. See how this goes.
Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back