Chord Hugo
Jul 5, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #6,136 of 15,694

really like this photo, reminds me of planets & moons....
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #6,137 of 15,694
can someone who bought a custom usb cable give a detailed review of their A/B comparison with the stock usb, as I am wondering if buying those expensive cables have any effect on sound signature

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #6,139 of 15,694
AQ diamond: More speed, with percussion especially better, less overhang. Much clearer, less tubby bass. Vocals less shouty. Much less glare in upper mids (no more ringing). Any traces of grain gone. More well defined images.
Overall: less fatigue, with no need or thoughts of equalization needed from any of my phones. Even my Grado GS1000 phones sound smooth and refined and addictive, as good as I have heard them, with the Grado "jazziness" gone from most recordings (a major accomplishment). Anyone thinking there is a bit of fatigue in the Hugo highs should check out the diamond; I think it really helps here.
(It needs the AQ adapter, but things sound fine with it.)
I have an AQ Carbon too, and it's better than the stock, especially in the area of image definition, but the diamond is much better in the areas noted.

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #6,140 of 15,694
It's like 600.00 bucks for 2 foot cable.. I do have the audioquest rocket 88 10 foot speaker cables for 800.00 bucks that I purchased from magnolia and it does sound great (clearer/more balanced) but 600.00 for 2 foot I'd a bit too much. Try the forest version, it's clearly better than s4 cm usb cables and a lot more affordable.

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #6,141 of 15,694
I have a diamond from audioquest. The truth us the PPA red USB us just as good.
But we still need adaptor. So what adaptor is the poster using.

Also here is a tidbit. B put aluminum foil around the entire cable
And post it. Using the original cable.
Be honest now.
Al

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #6,143 of 15,694
I am sure it does but it will not have the clarity of a direct connection as in USB or coax.
Al

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #6,144 of 15,694
Two questions:

1) Can anyone confirm that any original chasis owners have gotten the RCA adapters from Chord?  I've written a few emails but haven't gotten a response from Chord.  Would be nice to retire these blue jean $8 adapters.

2) Anyone have the link or can tell me which post had the link to where you can buy the AC adapter being used by Chord?  I know I saw a post, but after 20 minutes skimming the thread and searching under ac adapter, no luck finding the link/post.  I need an extra one. 

Post 4884 for the power supply.

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #6,145 of 15,694
Jul 6, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #6,146 of 15,694
I have a diamond from audioquest. The truth us the PPA red USB us just as good.
But we still need adaptor. So what adaptor is the poster using.

Also here is a tidbit. B put aluminum foil around the entire cable
And post it. Using the original cable.
Be honest now.
Al

Hi,Are you referring to Paul Pang Audio? I've found a UK stockist,but I understand very little of what they're saying Any chance of an interpretation? Also does anyone know if the Audioquest USB
A to Micro adapter works? There is a difference between micro A and B? A desktop Hugo,with USB B would suit me fine.

Red II USB cable is the upgraded version of the Red USB cable. 

New design and conductor has been used.

It is more fuller than Red USB.

Multi-core conductor has much higher bandwidth than single core conductor and bandwidth is a very important parameter in digital audio applications. I prefer wide-band frequency response in my audio system therefore I am using multi-core with silver plated copper alloy as a conductor.

Corresponding to the sound performance, multi-core conductor will have rich harmonics and detail and with low and high frequency extension. Single-core conductor will have high denseness to the vocal (mid. and low-mid. range). The TZ YUN Grey, Blue and Red cables use multi-core conductor so they have a similar sound style. The main difference between the Grey, Blue and the Red cable is the silver content.

The Grey cable uses 10uM silver plating.

The Blue cable uses 15uM silver plating.

The Red cable uses 20uM silver plating.

Multi-core conductor with 20uM silver plating is expensive, even more expensive than the single-core pure silver conductor. My experience is that the multi-core conductor will be the best choice for a digital cable. That is why I only use multi-core conductor for my digital cables. Grey, Blue, Red and the JCAT cables have the same basic performance and they are well balanced across the entire frequency range. Although the JCAT cable is the same grade as the Red cable the JCAT cable is designed according to JPLAY's request. 

The main difference between them is the JCAT cable is built using high density Z stranded as the central core with the outside of the inner cable has used mid density S stranded. Please refer to the picture. 

This means that the JCAT cable will combine the strong points from both the single-core and multi-core conductor designs. This conductor is more expensive than the Red cable, so the JCAT cable price is slightly higher than the Red cable.  

The Grey cable has a very high value cost to performance ratio.

In the majority of CATs the Blue cable is a great choice.

The Red cable is designed for a high-end grade CAT.

The Red cable is absolutely the highest performance cable, it needs an high-end grade CAT to appreciate the full performance.  

These cables have multi-core silver plated copper alloy conductors and are teflon-coated. Copper alloy teflon-coated provides very high strength, anti-oxidation and anti-twisting. These cables will provide a stable sound quality in their life time. The thickness of the silver plate is from 10um to 20um. Silver material is from 15% up to 30% of the whole conductor. So, the silver content in these cables is 3 to 6 times that compared to the common audio grade cables which usually have a 5% silver content. These USB cables are standard 90ohm.

I don't understand the terms CAT or JCAT. Thanks.

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #6,148 of 15,694
Have heard enough now to acknowledge the Hugo is as special as the interweb would lead to believe. Tested using all headphones in my signature.
(Please note this is an initial early Sunday morning pre-breakfast posting as writing time has been set aside for during the British GP and Wimbledon Final - getting no exercise in the process woo!!)

The Hugo reminds me of the Invicta (when used as a headphone dac/amp) that I have previously home demoed. Nothing is particularly emphasised. What you do get is a fantastic neutral and natural sound. No hint of a "digital sound" as may be present in lesser DACs. Soundstage is very spacious. Not just horizontally from ear-to-ear on a 2D plane but height and in particular depth also. The speed, separation and airiness of instruments is incredible. You can pick out location and everything is rendered with good impact. Voices are very rich, detailed and 'natural'. Furthermore you are able to "hear" the room. It is just a holographic sound. Treble is well extended without any harshness or brightness. Love. The Hugo is very detailed but not in an annoying or grating manner at all. As the soundstage and separation is so top notch it is not that you can pick out each element of the recording but you are hearing new things in the music too. The bass on this thing has incredible impact, punch and control - listening with SE846 and TH900 has left me shaken and stirred. Very good transparency - it is hard to multi-task as the Hugo allows you to melt into the music.

All this from a package with a smaller footprint than a CD case!!
One point - Chord, please please please give us Black finish like with the Chordette Qute.

Addendum.
So.... would anyone like to buy my my Clas -dB and Pico Power rig??

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #6,149 of 15,694
  "CAT" = "Computer as Transport"

http://www.head-fi.org/t/572693/music-sever-computer-as-transport-cat-discussion-thread

"JCAT" = "JPLAY Computer Audio Transport"

http://www.audiostream.com/content/jcat-usb-cable

http://jplay.eu/jcat

Thanks,So simple when you know ! I googled it a couple of time,only feline related subjects came up !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back