Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Jul 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #376 of 1,238
Thanks @Clayton SF - really helpful notes in case my EE friend is needed!

@Lord Soth - yes, we're on the same page. Thanks for your valuable input here and throughout the tube forums!

@Frank I - huge thanks to you  for inviting Decware into the loop here. It's possible this is just bad luck - no assembly process is perfect - but if it's something like we discuss above Steve Deckert needs to know.

@Mad Dude and I have been in touch, and we may have a satisfactory ending in sight...

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #377 of 1,238
Mad Dude,

I'm sorry you're having such bad luck with your CSP2+!   Especially being somewhat new to tubes.  I'm at a bit of a disadvantage since I don't know your real name or how old the unit is, but for what it's worth, I have always covered the shipping both ways to Europe (or anywhere else) during the 30 day trial (or longer pending circumstances) and then reset the 30 days to start again once you have your unit back.  While it rarely happens, (we have less than 1% return rate) I always appreciate the opportunity to fix our mistakes.  And if after we've fixed it you still wanted to sell it, we would ship it to the buyer with warranty transferred at no additional cost to make up for some of your disappointment.  This is how I've always done it with everyone. Of course holding it for a week or two while you list it for sale isn't a problem.  I think Sarah was more referring to having amps sit around here for months, which has happened in the past.  We hate to see you give up on tubes.

FX5K,

I don't believe I've ever had a transformer fail in a CSP2+.  It's a 150ma transformer with a 30ma load and draws about 1/2 the heater current it's rated for.  Again, at somewhat of a disadvantage here not knowing how old and not being able to look it up without a real name, if the unit comes back and is found defective it will be repaired under warranty at break neck speed and returned to you. If this is a new unit, again, there would be no shipping fees for you, we would cover it.   

AiDee,

We have gotten a lot busier over the years, but you'll notice our lead time has just steadily increased instead of our quality steadily decreasing which might be the norm for some companies.  We have gone from an average 4 week turn around to on average 12 to 14 weeks at present.  This is because everything is done exactly the same as it's always been, and by the same 4 men.  The only change has been the new assembly space that can be seen here:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/whatsnew.html

All I can say is if anyone is having problems with one of our components, please call.  We have a well established record of bending over backwards to make things right.  Plus we don't want products being sold that aren't 100% working right nor do we want our products modded because for better or worse it usually changes the sound and then it's not an original Decware.

Yes, we are human and there will be an occasional mistake, but they are few and handled with complete integrity.  

Steve Deckert

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #378 of 1,238
Quote:

... and it is absolutely stellar with my Beyer DT990 - 600 Ohms. Chrystal clear, with lots of punch, sparkle, and air. :)

I'm really sorry to hear about Mad Dude's numerous problems with the CSP2+.
I've also had my fair share of similar problems with another tube amp manufacturer (not Decware), but that is another story.
My transformers blew up and it was too costly (or rather not cost effective) to send my amp both ways overseas to get it repaired even though it had a one year warranty.
Suffice to say, there is always an element of risk involved for any tube amp purchase, especially when one purchases a tube amp from a country which is foreign to the buyer.

Another caveat for the CSP2+ would be that it can sound bad if you use the wrong combination of tubes.
For example, in my audio chain, the Valvo CCa has an over bloated bass when used in the CSP2+ (with a Tung Sol 5Y3GT rectifier).
(I'm sure that the Valvo CCa is still a wonderful sounding tube in other audio system though.)

However, with the right combination of tubes, the CSP2+ is really State of the Art.
I have tube rolled many makes (e.g. Siemens CCas, Lorenz, Mullards, Telefunken, Philips, Russian 6N1Ps .... etc) of the ECC88/E88CC/7308 family of tubes with the CSP2+ and have finally settled on the following combination.
1. Rectifier - Tung Sol 5Y3GT (Thanks to Skylab over here for his 5Y3 rectifier recommendation)
2. L/R Drivers - Siemens Grey Shields E188CC
3. Input Tube - Amperex (US) Pinched Waist 6922  (Yes, Joe's Tube lore is correct. The PW is the "King" of the ECC88 family! IMHO, the Lorenz tubes would be "Queen" :wink:

Source : Oppo BDP-95
Cans: Beyer DT 880 - 600 Ohms

With this combination of tubes, jazz vocalists such as Ella Fitzgerald have a living breathing presence when I listen to my headphones.
There is also sonic clarity, tonal and timbre accuracy, excellent instrument separation and soundstage, tight and impactful bass, "air" from wind instruments.... basically all the boxes in my audiophile checklist are ticked!

Yes, there are much better cans out there such as the Audeze LCD 2, LCD 3 and Stax Earspeakers and what not.
But what makes the CSP2+ truely exceptional is its ability to turn my humble pair of Beyer DT880 into a pair of "earspeakers" in my audio chain.

Kudos to Decware (and Steve Deckert), for my little piece of audio nirvana, I don't have to spend 5 grand for a pair of "earspeakers" nor do I have to spend 3 to 4 Grand for another SOTA headphone tube amp.

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #379 of 1,238
Steve,
Thanks for looking into the issues with my CSP2, I really appreciate it. I've sent a PM with more details, I'm sure we can find a solution.

Admittedly my decision to let the amp go has not changed, but I'm not glad about it. As mentioned before, the CSP2+ does sound terriffic, and various statements by other owners of Decware gear only confirm this. I hope you guys continue to enjoy these amps. I sure did, if only for a short time.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #380 of 1,238
Hi Steve,

I too really appreciate your statements clarifying yours and Decware's policy. This is completely reassuring.

Your points in answer to me are well made. I recently bought my first Decware amp (Taboo) from you. It has been problem-free and stunning with my LCD-2 and even pretty good with my Beyerdynamic T1 for which (600-ohms) it is not  ideally matched.

My only 'problem' has been that it makes the differences between tubes so obvious I clearly have a journey ahead of me to find the 'right' ones!

Mad Dude has decided to continue his search elsewhere and I am happy to be the new owner of his CSP2+ on the understanding it will be checked out by Decware and then sent directly on to me.

Best wishes and thanks again for your comment in this forum,

André

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #381 of 1,238
Sorry but I have to share...so excited as my ZP3 status just was updated to "QC Testing!"  I can't wait for the new amp to join it's siblings the CSP+ and Taboo.  I think my setup will be "finished" for quite awhile as it really seems hard to improve on this holy triad!  I'd have to get upgraded ears to go any further!

Thanks again Decware, right on schedule and always worth the wait!

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #382 of 1,238
I had my auditory nerve directly cabled to my headphone drivers for the ultimate upgrade and rush.  I suggest going with the 5 foot Q cable for showering purposes.

Quote:
I think my setup will be "finished" for quite awhile as it really seems hard to improve on this holy triad!  I'd have to get upgraded ears to go any further!

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #383 of 1,238
Quote:
Sorry but I have to share...so excited as my ZP3 status just was updated to "QC Testing!"  I can't wait for the new amp to join it's siblings the CSP+ and Taboo.  I think my setup will be "finished" for quite awhile as it really seems hard to improve on this holy triad!  I'd have to get upgraded ears to go any further!

Thanks again Decware, right on schedule and always worth the wait!

Congrats! I am looking at early November to get my CSP2+. I can hardly wait!  
popcorn.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #384 of 1,238
Quote:
I had my auditory nerve directly cabled to my headphone drivers for the ultimate upgrade and rush.  I suggest going with the 5 foot Q cable for showering purposes.

Sweet! I have my wetwire surgery scheduled for next week...should I splurge for the silver dock connector behind my ear?

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #385 of 1,238
Quote:

FX5K,

I don't believe I've ever had a transformer fail in a CSP2+.  It's a 150ma transformer with a 30ma load and draws about 1/2 the heater current it's rated for.  .....

Yes, the CSP2+ is a very reliable and well built.

Before I carry out an official audition (aka "tube rolling") of the ECC88 family of NOS tubes, I use my CSP2+ to carry out tube conditioning.

What this entails is leaving the CSP2+ on continuously for 24 hrs straight.
I carry out a 24 hrs cycle of heater only and a few more rounds of another 24hrs with audio input to burn in and condition my NOS tubes.

I have carried out this process numerous times. I estimate that my CSP2+ has been burned in for over 500 hrs++ for many batches of ECC88 tubes.

Suffice to say, my CSP2+ is still very much alive and kicking!
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #386 of 1,238
This photo popped up on facebook as a "Share if you know what these are" oldies photo.....Should we let them know we're here? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #387 of 1,238
Quote:

Sweet! I have my wetwire surgery scheduled for next week...should I splurge for the silver dock connector behind my ear?

Yes, you bet!

Your audio upgrade should resemble the following ala johnny mnemonic....

And with the rise in popularity of FLAC and ALAC and MP3 files, be sure to upgrade your harddrive as well.
wink.gif

The following person neglected to upgrade his harddrive..........

And he was using a Schitt Lyr which made the "magic smoke" come out from his headphones!

Moral of the story.... Stick to Decware products. LOL :wink:

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #388 of 1,238
Quote:

Yes, you bet!

Your audio upgrade should resemble the following ala johnny mnemonic....

And with the rise in popularity of FLAC and ALAC and MP3 files, be sure to upgrade your harddrive as well.
wink.gif

The following person neglected to upgrade his harddrive..........

And he was using a Schitt Lyr which made the "magic smoke" come out from his headphones!

Moral of the story.... Stick to Decware products. LOL :wink:

Have to laugh....He doubled to 80 GB....With lossless that would be a small collection....Johnny's head might have exploded with FLAC's  
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #389 of 1,238
After 6 weeks of waiting they shipped!!  The speaker cables that is.  I figure another 6+ weeks for the speakers.  Unfortunately since I don't have any other speakers, I will be able to do nothing but admire them until the DM945s arrive.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back