Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Jul 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #346 of 1,238
Quote:

It's a matter of taste...   Though has someone who has the CSP2+ & Taboo, and uses them with HD800's, I would say you need both and you want to get by with just the CSP2+.  Though if you never listened to the Senns through the Taboo pre-amped with the CSP2+ you'd never know what you were missing.  I'm not saying the CSP2+ alone is a slouch, with the HD800, it's great.  However, the combo is much better, in my opinion, at least with the HD800s.  Usual disclaimer:  I listen to mostly classical, I'm all over sound stage, air, imaging, instrument placement, dynamics, detail, you get the picture. 

So, CSP2+ to Taboo, then do you have them put a jack onto the Taboo for the headphones?  I wish the site was more clear. Awesome pics, just not enough of them.

Initially then I would have MacMini>Amarra>AQ Cinnamon>DacMagic+>CSP2+>Toxic Cable Silver Poison's>HD650's. Then add the Taboo into the mix in a couple more months.

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #347 of 1,238
Yes.  You run the headphones off of the taboo.  You open up the volume control on the Taboo all the way and use the CSP2+ volume control to set the volume.

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #348 of 1,238
Quote:
Yes.  You run the headphones off of the taboo.  You open up the volume control on the Taboo all the way and use the CSP2+ volume control to set the volume.

OK... Now I get it...Thanks!

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #349 of 1,238
do you have them put a jack onto the Taboo for the headphones?

It's in the description of the amp, which is well worth reading.  You select what options you want at check out. 

[size=medium] [size=larger]CUSTOM OPTIONS[/size][/size]

[size=medium] [size=larger][size=smaller]Since the chassis was designed to accommodate additional jacks and even another tube if needed, the following options are available:[/size][/size][/size]

1. Choose between the black figured base or the contemporary walnut - FREE 
  2. Choose from a variety of alternate hardwoods - add $50
  3. Stepped attenuator - add $250
  4. V-Caps - add $200
  5. Headphone jack for Planar Magnetic Ear Phones - add $100

[size=medium]
[/size] [size=larger][size=smaller]Additional Options can be selected and changed in the shopping cart.[/size][/size]

[size=larger][size=smaller]I got it with the headphone jack and V-Caps, and use their interconnects between the W4S Dac2 and the CSP2+ and between it and the Taboo.  Otherwise I have Signal silver reference and use a Cardas clear from my mac mini to the W4S.  [/size][/size]

Jul 14, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #350 of 1,238
 It's in the description of the amp, which is well worth reading.  You select what options you want at check out. 

[size=medium]
[SIZE=60%]CUSTOM OPTIONS[/SIZE]​
[/size]

[size=medium]
[SIZE=60%]Since the chassis was designed to accommodate additional jacks and even another tube if needed, the following options are available:[/SIZE]​
[/size]

• [SIZE=60%]Choose between the black figured base or the contemporary walnut - FREE [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=60%]Choose from a variety of alternate hardwoods - add $50[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=60%]Stepped attenuator - add $250[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=60%]V-Caps - add $200[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=60%]Headphone jack for Planar Magnetic Ear Phones - add $100[/SIZE]
[size=60%][size=larger][size=smaller]Additional Options can be selected and changed in the [COLOR=505050]shopping cart.[/size][/size][/color][/size]

[size=60%][size=larger][size=smaller]I got it with the headphone jack and V-Caps, and use their interconnects between the W4S Dac2 and the CSP2+ and between it and the Taboo.  Otherwise I have Signal silver reference and use a Cardas clear from my mac mini to the W4S.  [/size][/size][/size]

I saw the Planar reference and did not realize it was for all phone types.... Good upgrade path for sure. Get the CSP2+ with the two outputs and then have a Torii for your speakers and the Taboo for the headphones...tubes everywhere!

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #351 of 1,238
The lucid switch toggles between lucid and mono for 'phones, lucid and stereo for speakers.

Your earlier question - the inner pair of inputs are 'direct', meaning connect to a preamp and set from there. The outer pair use Taboo's own volume control. It seems when using the inner pair you still have to crank the Taboo's vol control a few degrees to turn this input "on".

Today I'm enjoying a pair of satellites from a KEF KIT100 system connected to Taboo (the rest of the system is deceased). These satellites can't be anywhere near efficient enough for the Taboo, yet don't sound bad at all - especially with string quartet music.

Quote:
Anyone with a taboo want to inform me about the lucid mode switch with headphones?  Right now all it does is switch the left channel to mono in the off position(towards the center).  At least I'm assuming that's the off position.

I haven't connected speakers yet but I will probably tomorrow.  Lucid mode is supposed to be on all the time for headphones anyway right?

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #352 of 1,238
Is anoyone here using the CSP2+ purely as a headphone amp, and not as preamp for the taboo or another amplifier? If yes, have you ever experienced any issues?

I'm asking because I'm having nothing but trouble with my CSP2+, which is used primarily with the Sennheiser HD600. Or has been used, I should say, since the amp has been disconnected from my setup since almost two months. The main issues are hissing/crackling sounds in one channel, and a strong hum in both channels. The first issue, the hissing and crackling, are probably due to a defect inside the amp and can be fixed. The latter however, the humming, is "normal" according to Steve Deckert. I suppose all tube amps have some background noise - but in the CSP2+ it's on a level that's not tolerable in my opinion. While it's perfectly possible to listen to Rock, Pop etc. without noticing the hum (except in the pauses between tracks), I cannot listen to Classical music since the hum is clearly audible in quiet passages. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.

And yes, I've tried just about anything to fix these problems. It's not related to tubes, AC issues, or problems with the line-in. It has to be the amp itself...
The CSP2+ sounds excellent with just about any headphone I've tried, but after the inital phase of new-toy-syndrome has worn off I have to admit that this amp is simply not suited for driving headphones. It may be an excellent preamp, sure, but it is impossible for me to ignore the issues that come with it. My CSP2+ is now going to Decware for repair to fix the hissing/crackling issue, and to the classifieds afterwards.

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #353 of 1,238
Quote:
The lucid switch toggles between lucid and mono for 'phones, lucid and stereo for speakers.

Your earlier question - the inner pair of inputs are 'direct', meaning connect to a preamp and set from there. The outer pair use Taboo's own volume control. It seems when using the inner pair you still have to crank the Taboo's vol control a few degrees to turn this input "on".

Today I'm enjoying a pair of satellites from a KEF KIT100 system connected to Taboo (the rest of the system is deceased). These satellites can't be anywhere near efficient enough for the Taboo, yet don't sound bad at all - especially with string quartet music.

Thank you so much for the information! 
beerchug.gif

Is anoyone here using the CSP2+ purely as a headphone amp, and not as preamp for the taboo or another amplifier? If yes, have you ever experienced any issues?

I know at the very least Frank I uses his CSP2+ as his main headphone amp, you could shoot him a message.

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #354 of 1,238
Quote:

I'm asking because I'm having nothing but trouble with my CSP2+, which is used primarily with the Sennheiser HD600. Or has been used, I should say, since the amp has been disconnected from my setup since almost two months. The main issues are hissing/crackling sounds in one channel, and a strong hum in both channels. The first issue, the hissing and crackling, are probably due to a defect inside the amp and can be fixed. The latter however, the humming, is "normal" according to Steve Deckert. I suppose all tube amps have some background noise - but in the CSP2+ it's on a level that's not tolerable in my opinion. While it's perfectly possible to listen to Rock, Pop etc. without noticing the hum (except in the pauses between tracks), I cannot listen to Classical music since the hum is clearly audible in quiet passages. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.

And yes, I've tried just about anything to fix these problems. It's not related to tubes, AC issues, or problems with the line-in. It has to be the amp itself...
The CSP2+ sounds excellent with just about any headphone I've tried, but after the inital phase of new-toy-syndrome has worn off I have to admit that this amp is simply not suited for driving headphones. It may be an excellent preamp, sure, but it is impossible for me to ignore the issues that come with it. My CSP2+ is now going to Decware for repair to fix the hissing/crackling issue, and to the classifieds afterwards.

I use the csp2 as my main amp for my HD800 and 770 600 ohm and I have zero hum issues and never heard any hum in my setup. Have you check to see if your electric has a ground loop issue. Use a cheater plug and see if it goes away. I would send it in to Decware and see if Steve can rectify the problem.he beauty if the CSP2 is it is dead quiet. No noise and certainly no hum in my setup. What tubes are you using?

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #355 of 1,238
I agree with Frank. When I had the CSP-2, one of the things that impressed me most about it was a complete lack of hum. I do get some hum with the mini-Torii and high efficiency headphones, but that isn't a surprise given the design.

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #356 of 1,238
Interesting to hear that both of you have no issues with background hum. I'm not entirely sure whether my issues are related to the amp itself or AC issues, but at least the hissing/crackling is a sign that there's something wrong with the amp itself.
I have to mention that the hum does not occur with all headphones. Low-impedance ones (such as the T50RP) did exhibit much less hum than high-impedance phones such as the HD600 or T1. But that's not much consolation since the CSP2+ is apparently best suited for high-impedance headphones...

I have never tried a cheater plug, but otherwise I've checked just about any other possible source of my problems. I have swapped tubes countless times - I mostly used the folllowing configuration:
1x Electro-Harmonix 6922 GOLD (new production) in front position,
2x Amperex Bugle Boy 6922 (NOS) in rear position, and
GE 6087 (NOS) as rectifier.
Swapping the tubes (I have three entirely different sets, both drivers and rectifier) did not affect the background hum or the hissing/crackling. I suppose it's quite impossible that all tubes should be defective and exhibit exactly the same problems (otherwise, this would be an extordinary example of Murphys law).

At one time I have also disconnected every electrical device in my apartment (except basic devices such as refrigerator etc) and tried the CSP2+, without any input connected. The result was exactly the same as before. I don't really know anything about how ground loops work, but I think usually they appear when multiple devices are connected to the same outlet and interfere with each other. I have also tried a cheap AC filter, which didn't make a difference either. Since there are absolutely no hum issues with any of my other audio devices, I think I can safely rule out the AC power as the source of the humming. More likely there's something wrong with the amp itself.

Now I don't know if it is related to my issues, but I have had several tubes (at least five different ones) that arced when used with the CSP2+. All were 6922 tubes, of different makes, mostly NOS. It seems that that the amp puts some severe strain on the tubes... In any case it would seem strange that it did not work with quite a number of them.

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #357 of 1,238
You should call Decware. Tubes should NOT be arcing. Something's wrong.

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #358 of 1,238
Of course they should not, but if you read the Decware forums this seems to be quite common. The usual explanation is that some tubes cannoth withstand the strain which the CSP2 puts on them. Now I just don't know whether my tubes were defective (some were used ones) or if the problem is the amp's circuit...

Anyway, as mentioned before my CSP2+ will go to Decware for repair and afterwards to a new owner. That is, if I can find a buyer - Which may not be so easy, since I will clearly state that the amp has some issues.
Even if the repair is covered by warranty, shipping the amp to the US and back again can very easily cost me something like $250-$300. I don't have the patience to give it another try as long as there's a risk that the hum problem will persist - so the amp has to go.

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #359 of 1,238
Well I hooked my taboo up to some 86db efficient speakers from napa acoustic.  Sounds pretty great, and the speakers are a really good deal IMO.  On more dynamic, less compressed music it does alright (i listen 90% of the time at my desk anyway), and with modern music it's great.  It'd be nice to have some 90db or higher speakers but I really don't feel like spending any more money on audio atm :) :)

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #360 of 1,238
Hey Mad Dude!
I used the CSP2+ pre-amp for my Taboo, but experienced a non tube related hum in both channels for some time. None of my efforts could solve the problem. End of the story, the units transformer went up in smoke last saturday. I hadn't checked shipping expenses for the return, yet. But if it's as expensive to get it from switerland to the US, as you mentioned Mad Dude, I might have to reconsider the repair as well.
angry_face.gif

Well, maybe someone could give me some advice for nice pre-amp instead of the CSP2+ for my Taboo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back