DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 19, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #16,261 of 16,305
...continuing on from the above post, I managed to get 5 of these cheap but highly effective cables completed in order to give the Sennheiser 'Irish' collection a completely level playing field when hooked up to my Tascam MH8 multichannel headphone amp.
This is the first time I've felt completely comfortable with making comparisons between them as previously they have all been hooked up via different cables.
DSC_0135.JPG

DSC_0139.JPG

The test conditions are pretty straightforward; listen to various types of music with each set for around 10 mins and decide yes/no if I'm enjoying the experience.
The simple anser is 'yes' for all except one of them - the HD535. They're absolutely terrible! No life, totally anaemic bottom, mid- and top-end and I cannot listen with them for more than around 2 minutes. It's actually an unpleasant experience, which is a shame because going a bit deeper, each set has its own distinct character and generally all are a joy to listen with, even the bass-heavy HD265's. So it's a big shame that there is a 'runt in the litter' but still interesting nonetheless.
DSC_0146.JPG

Moving up the bench towards the 'top end' of the scale and comparing all others with the HD-565 re-confirms my attitude that the 565's are just a simple and absolute joy to use every time. Even when compared to the HD600 and HD650 they have a life and sparkle all of their own! These crop up on 2nd hand sites and hifishark occasionally and can be had for an absolute bargain! The foams usually require replacing and as a rule I completely disassemble the components and sanitise the sanitisable parts in warm soapy water before drying and re-assembly and finally rendering an as-new set, ready to enjoy.
The HD565's can actually EQ to within a cats whisker of the HD650's too! Hence, if you're hankering after a pair of HD650's give theHD565's some serious consideration before dropping the coin.
DSC_0151.JPG

I have two HD565 chassis kitted out with a set of HD600 and HD650 drivers respectively and I'll be comparing these with the 'pukka' versions at some point using the new cables too....
Happy days.
:)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #16,265 of 16,305
I just finished these two today. Each is 2m long.

Construction:
Neutrik NP3X-B/ Viablue EPC-4/ Aluminium splitter in two Viablue EPC-2/ 2x 2,5mm (for Verum One) and 2x Sennheiser 2-pin (for HD580). Solder used: WBT-0800.

These cables feel nice and high quality, are great to work on and easy to solder. They are a bit stiff, due to the shealding (left unconnected), and so a bit annoyng to use. Maybe they will soften up or I just get used to them.

1.JPG

Apr 16, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #16,266 of 16,305
I have been overhauling all my analog cables, here are some RCA interconnects I made. Each is 0,80m long.

Construction:
Rean NYS373-0 (black ring) and Rean NYS373-2 (red ring) under black and red heatshrink. The cable is Sommer Cable Carbokab 225, with the shielding connected only at the source end. Solder used: WBT-0800.

Very sturdy and thick cable that feels very high quality and durable. It fits perfectly in Rean NYS373 connectors if you remove the back grommet. It is not that flexible, so keep that in mind if you have a wall right behind your equipment.

1.JPG

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #16,267 of 16,305
Here is the last pair of cables for now, some more RCA interconnects. Each is 0,80m long.

Construction:
Switchcraft 3502ABAU on both sides. The cable is Belden 8402, with the shielding connected only at the source end. Solder used: Mundorf Silver/Gold (MSOL.SG-010G).

The cable is a bit thinner than Sommer Cable Carbokab 225, but feels equally very high quality and durable. It is very flexible, so it drops nicely behind your equipment, and has a nice soft touch feel. My cable looks a little banged up, but this is how I received it and it is just cosmetic damage.

2.JPG

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #16,268 of 16,305
I have been overhauling all my analog cables, here are some RCA interconnects I made. Each is 0,80m long.

Construction:
Rean NYS373-0 (black ring) and Rean NYS373-2 (red ring) under black and red heatshrink. The cable is Sommer Cable Carbokab 225, with the shielding connected only at the source end. Solder used: WBT-0800.

Very sturdy and thick cable that feels very high quality and durable. It fits perfectly in Rean NYS373 connectors if you remove the back grommet. It is not that flexible, so keep that in mind if you have a wall right behind your equipment.

I'm LOVING the Carbokab 225 at the moment. It's become one of my firm favourite cabletypes for many reasons, predominantly the ability to reveal detail in familiar music that you never noticed before.
Definitely something in that 'carbon smoothing' claim from Sommer.
Are you experiencing something similar?

My own Carbokab 225 builds in black and white:

02.JPG

16.jpg

02 Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #16,269 of 16,305
I'm LOVING the Carbokab 225 at the moment. It's become one of my firm favourite cabletypes for many reasons, predominantly the ability to reveal detail in familiar music that you never noticed before.
Definitely something in that 'carbon smoothing' claim from Sommer.
Are you experiencing something similar?

My own Carbokab 225 builds in black and white:

02.JPG
16.jpg
02 Copy.jpg
I had the Carbokab 225 for a bit and a week ago I made and replaced it with the Belden 8402 RCA interconnects. I will use the Belden 8402 for a few weeks on my main amplifier, then switch back to the Carbokab 225 and see if I notice anything. The Belden 8402 RCA interconnects had a material cost 3x the Carbokab 225 so I'm expecting it to be better, but that is not always the case and maybe in the end I won't notice a difference whatsoever.

When I first plugged in the Belden 8402 interconnects I noticed some more low end and fuller sound in general on one headphone (Verum One) and a bit extra low end and clarity on another headphone (HD580). I did replace the headphone cables at the same time so that is two variables. Maybe I noticed the sound difference or maybe I just thought I did. That is why I will give it a few weeks and then try changing interconnects again.

Apr 17, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #16,270 of 16,305
I had the Carbokab 225 for a bit and a week ago I made and replaced it with the Belden 8402 RCA interconnects. I will use the Belden 8402 for a few weeks on my main amplifier, then switch back to the Carbokab 225 and see if I notice anything. The Belden 8402 RCA interconnects had a material cost 3x the Carbokab 225 so I'm expecting it to be better, but that is not always the case and maybe in the end I won't notice a difference whatsoever.

When I first plugged in the Belden 8402 interconnects I noticed some more low end and fuller sound in general on one headphone (Verum One) and a bit extra low end and clarity on another headphone (HD580). I did replace the headphone cables at the same time so that is two variables. Maybe I noticed the sound difference or maybe I just thought I did. That is why I will give it a few weeks and then try changing interconnects again.
Interesting.
I stopped using the Belden 8412 (8402 replacement) as it was literally ravaging my fingers even after making just a single pair of IC's. It's the toughest, hardiest audio cable available!
I joke that if there was ever a nuclear armageddon that the only thing left on the planet will be cockroaches....and Belden 8412!
:beyersmile:
IMG_20210318_205317.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #16,272 of 16,305
This is based on the Helix Image philosophy... I'm a big fan of how they contribute to my system... What you will get is a blacker background (meaning better image definition); however, at the same time, they create a more rounded sound, all without losing detail...

IMG_0656.jpeg
There's a lot of truth in not having parallel conductors. Which is why I'm all about the braid these days, both for power cables and interconnects.
I did about 100 hours experimenting with different configurations and cable types and came up with a few keepers....
02.JPG
16.JPG
07_1.JPG
DSC_0057.JPG

May 8, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #16,273 of 16,305
Finished another cable. 1,5m long.

Construction:
Neutrik NP3X-B/ two Viablue EPC-2/ 2x 3,5mm Rean NYS231LBG. Solder used: Mundorf Silver/Gold (MSOL.SG-010G).

The 3,5mm connector tips are L and R, the sleeves are GND. Two EPC-2 cables fit into the Neutrik connector, on the other side I put a rubber insert around the EPC-2 cable as it is ~3,7mm going into the 6,00mm opening in the Rean connector. I will use the cable for a prototype headphone I am making.

4.JPG

May 13, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #16,274 of 16,305
Got some hybrid 16 core UPOCC/UPSPC versions in the works. Best of both worlds?
Watch this space......

IMG_20230411_002121.jpg
IMG_20230410_224358.jpg
Following on; the hybrid version is proving quite popular via the loan/approval scheme I operate.
I thought the SS would fall smack bang in the middle of the SPC and UPOCC cables but it's actually a bit more subtle than that with its' own unique characteristics and dynamics. BAss seems deeper where I thought it would remain the same while the mid-frequencies; vocals, wind instruments, some percussion have a new foothold in the overall presentation.
My personal preference is for the hybrid cable and probably only for reasons of perception rather than anything absolutely quantifiable.
With the black and silver colour scheme I think it actually also looks a bit better than the all-SPC version.
02.JPG

12.jpg

04.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back