Drop + Ultrasone Signature X Headphones Discussion
Feb 14, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #182 of 390
Thanks to the keen eyes of some in our community, it has been brought to our attention that the Drop + Ultrasone Signature X headphones have a potential manufacturing error.

We have verified the issue with Ultrasone. Together, we’ve taken corrective actions to ensure this won’t happen again and that Ultrasone provides quick resolution to our customers. Ultrasone asked us to extend their sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Specifically, the Double Deflector Fin (DDF) is incorrectly placed. While this is clearly visible if the headphone inner ear cups are inspected, the error is not visible on the testing done before shipping. Measuring the headphones is one of the final steps on inspecting a final unit. As the measurements matched the golden samples, this error was not caught before the headphones were shipped from Ultrasone’s facility.

You are able to continue using the headphones as before. Ultrasone will provide new replacement headphones to all customers which will be shipped to you free of charge. Please stand by as we expect the new headphones to arrive in the USA within the next 60 days or so.

While Ultrasone is assembling the new headphones, we have also taken the opportunity to implement some of the great suggestions made by the Drop Community in the form of a few additional updates. The Signature X will now come with additional 4.4mm Pentacon cable in 1.2m length, as well as an additional pair of thicker ear pads.

Again, we truly appreciate the expertise and attention to detail inherent in such an enthusiast community. It ensures we, our partners and the products are the best they can be. We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing and we will do our best to expedite the process.

In the meantime, please feel free to reach out to our support team if you have any questions or concerns at drop.com/support.
Sincerely,
The Drop Team
We did it guys!
Though, personally, I just happily took mine out for a 50 minute walk in the park :dt880smile: I can understand why they said they still matched the target sound of the "golden samples," since I'm not looking at it I'm not going to bother getting a swap (it was a review sample anyway). However, I think mine were installed as intended?
1676421062367.jpeg
Agreed, I felt the same way on the Master, Natural, and Pulses as well. Not sure why the black cable just works with these headphones, but it does. I've tried about 5 other high end cables, and every other cable takes away that atmosphere that the black cable seems to have.

@Evshrug , any word on if there will be a second batch/release of Sig X's? I've grown to appreciate them quite a bit. I'm hoping others can enjoy the X's special traits too with a second and third+ release.
I'm thinking Ultrasone will be making enough of a batch to replace the first and have some more to sell. I'm glad you feel happy recommending them :)
Yeah, it's cool of them to respond so graciously. Also, not quite burying the lede but close-- they're adding thicker pads and a pentacon cable to the next production batch. My set came with 2 pair of identical pads, so I guess this time the spare pair will now be different. Also cool of Ultrasone to do that. Overall, it's a more customizable offering for the community.
Whole unit replacements, extra accessories, pad feedback taken into account... I imagine it's expensive on Ultrasone's part, but definitely a whole-hearted investment into long term trust and good will. I hope they continue collaborating with Drop! I wouldn't say they're burying the lead at all, rather taking responsibility in a big way, and adjusting to the feedback here. My pre-release sample came with three cables, but I didn't get extra pads... seems Ultrasone likes to add the goodies to enhance the value!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #183 of 390
Now that is doing right to your fans, and excellent customer service all around. Thank you Drop, thank you Ultrasone. Also, thank you @Evshrug for escalating the issue as well.

Looking forward to hearing the differences between old and new, especially with those new pads.

Feb 14, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #184 of 390
Well done, Ultrasone.

Feb 15, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #185 of 390
Well that was suprising, in a positive way to say at least since if it actually measures so close to the "golden sample" I suppose the DDF not being aligned properly won't have a huge impact on the sound, but still they decided to correct that for the customers. That's some great customer service right there and to even add deeper pads and 4.4 mm (I don't unfortunately have a source with this connector yet) is very welcomed.

Now if only the creaking would have a magical fix as well :D (would have gladly paid a bit more for higher material quality for the same tuning but at least this headphones feel very light on the head, which is kind of nice as well)

Regarding the positioning of headphones on the head, that I remember people mention is quite finicky with Ultrasones due to their design. I seem to personally get the best results if placing the earglobes to be in the most upper-back corner of the pads. What about you?

Another aspect I've noticed that seems to play a great deal for even very small adjustments is when I EQ'd the headphone on the RME ADI-2 DAC fs then especially adjusting the Q value from 1.0 to 1.1 in the treble region for the filter there had a very noticeable impact on imaging in particular, I adjusted as I had a game running Far Cry 6 in this case with helicopters above me so could hear instantly very clear improvement to the imaging if making such subtle adjustment. Found that interesting, nothing I've noticed as clearly before on other headphones with same DAC so difficult to say how much is this specific to the DAC or headphone but thought it was worth mentioning. My impression overall when it comes to EQing this headphone / pad-rolling, clearing up the treble region will bring positive traits to imaging and the stock pads (no EQ) didn't work quite optimally there.

And finally I want to add, with the SRH440 pads, the soundstaging is slightly wider than it's deep but adjusting the stereo width down from default 1.0 to 0.99 on the RME dac fixes that, that 0.1 step actually have a big impact to the soundstaging in a positive way for me as it at least gives the impression the soundstage gets deeper when it gets less wide, I always prefered a more "round" soundstaging while many headphones offer a more oval shape soundstage with wider width.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #186 of 390
Thanks to the keen eyes of some in our community, it has been brought to our attention that the Drop + Ultrasone Signature X headphones have a potential manufacturing error.

We have verified the issue with Ultrasone. Together, we’ve taken corrective actions to ensure this won’t happen again and that Ultrasone provides quick resolution to our customers. Ultrasone asked us to extend their sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Specifically, the Double Deflector Fin (DDF) is incorrectly placed. While this is clearly visible if the headphone inner ear cups are inspected, the error is not visible on the testing done before shipping. Measuring the headphones is one of the final steps on inspecting a final unit. As the measurements matched the golden samples, this error was not caught before the headphones were shipped from Ultrasone’s facility.

You are able to continue using the headphones as before. Ultrasone will provide new replacement headphones to all customers which will be shipped to you free of charge. Please stand by as we expect the new headphones to arrive in the USA within the next 60 days or so.

While Ultrasone is assembling the new headphones, we have also taken the opportunity to implement some of the great suggestions made by the Drop Community in the form of a few additional updates. The Signature X will now come with additional 4.4mm Pentacon cable in 1.2m length, as well as an additional pair of thicker ear pads.

Again, we truly appreciate the expertise and attention to detail inherent in such an enthusiast community. It ensures we, our partners and the products are the best they can be. We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing and we will do our best to expedite the process.

In the meantime, please feel free to reach out to our support team if you have any questions or concerns at drop.com/support.
Sincerely,
The Drop Team
@Evshrug @DROP Are they sending replacement units to everyone who was first run or do we need to email someone for the replacement with proof that ours is installed wrong?

Feb 16, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #189 of 390
@Evshrug @DROP Are they sending replacement units to everyone who was first run or do we need to email someone for the replacement with proof that ours is installed wrong?
I'd like to know this as well. My wife bought these for me and would love to know if she needs to reach out to Drop.
Well, the replacements need to be built first, then Drop or Ultrasone will email closer to the time they’re ready. I think the minute details will be decided then, but the goal is to make it as painless as possible.

Feb 16, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #190 of 390
I hope customs will be taken into account, so much taxes I've paid to finnish government already as it is, probably need to be able to show up a receipt showing 0€ value or something as proof, it's usually a PITA to deal with if it's not handled properly. But eitherway no point in worrying about these details now. :)

Feb 16, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #191 of 390
think these sheepskin ones would work?

My notes say the Sheepskins were very similar to the PU rounds with some tradeoffs that made them less appealing with this tuning. Overall I ruled them out as the sheepskins lacked the X factor that the PU's had. Unfortunately I didn't write more detailed notes, but typically the sheepskins have a slightly sharper treble, less warmth/clearer tone, and a slightly different sound stage. A lot of the sheepskins didn't work well as they pushed the tone towards neutral and shifted the treble upwards. I thought that would have been perfect for this headphone, but in doing so a lot of the other positive aspects of the headphone were reduced. Almost as if fighting against the stock tuning just doesn't work. I think the PU rounds work so well as they just enhance the stock tuning rather than trying to change it into something else. With the PU's the sound just has a great synergy for me. I've got more pads I could try, but I'm not going to tinker with the X any further as it's got a great emotional connection now.

On a side note, I took a break from the X's for a week+ as I was testing other headphones. Just tried the X's again today, and yeah they are definitely keepers. After listening to nothing but neutral headphones for a while the X's are a relief in some weird way. Like a comfy bass filled blanket.

Feb 22, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #192 of 390
The shorter black cable's sound has grown on me, though the sleeve is pretty stiff. I'm trying to smooth out the bends with some limited success. So far though, I'm still really enjoying this headphone despite having more comfortable, more technically proficient headphones within reach. Dat bass!

Apr 11, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #193 of 390
I hope customs will be taken into account, so much taxes I've paid to finnish government already as it is, probably need to be able to show up a receipt showing 0€ value or something as proof, it's usually a PITA to deal with if it's not handled properly. But eitherway no point in worrying about these details now. :)
Free international shipping until April 23, with coupon code USTAXDAY (min order $50, max 5 items). Ties in with our "Take Back Your Tax" promo we just started :)

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Apr 12, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #194 of 390
I’m still keeping an eye out for when Ultrasone has those exchange units ready. Probably still going to be later, but Drop hasn’t forgotten, and there’s going to be more than the first batch for anyone else who wants to buy one.

May 10, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #195 of 390
I’m still keeping an eye out for when Ultrasone has those exchange units ready. Probably still going to be later, but Drop hasn’t forgotten, and there’s going to be more than the first batch for anyone else who wants to buy one.
Guess replacement units coming and we get to keep older units!

1683764436721.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back