Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 13, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #74,386 of 75,730
There are a few things you could try if you're not quite ready to give up.

• Try wearing them with the cable looped over the ears like an IEM. I think about half the regulars in this thread do that (the weirdos :k701smile: )
  • There are a lot of silicon wing type things you can use for stabilization. If you search the thread you'll find a lot of examples.
  • Try a differently shaped earbud. the X6 are mx500 style shell, which are really common, but there are different sizes of shell and some off-center type ones that may work better, like this one.
1710330608659.png

I'll keep fiddling with them, I've managed to get them seated properly a few times for a minute or two. I really do enjoy their sound, more than the Koss KSC75x and even the Blessing 2: Dusk, but it could be a honeymoon phase thing. The stem is quite uncomfortable though, I'll try wearing them upside down when I get home.

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #74,387 of 75,730
another DIY earbud made by myself.. shell inspired by valsuki val39, but with Basstube/ bassport :)

1710341853129.png
1710341875376.png

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #74,388 of 75,730
another DIY earbud made by myself.. shell inspired by valsuki val39, but with Basstube/ bassport :)

1710341853129.png1710341875376.png
What is the purpose of the bass vent and bass port?

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #74,389 of 75,730

1710341853129.png1710341875376.png
Wowza the bass tube. No more inconsistency and channel imbalance due to slight differences in manual drilled holes. Are these shells buyable? If I can also stuff MMCX connector in, they would be dream shells 🤔

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #74,390 of 75,730
Ordered the Yincrow X6, my first flathead since the 90's. I'm kinda bummed out, because I can't wear them. My right ear is different somehow, the left bud sits very well and sounds good, but the right one doesn't "seal" properly (I know they're not supposed to). I guess I should give up on earbuds since they all seem very similarly sized.
What a bummer! I dig my Yincrow x6 more than most my cans and iem's. And I'm way past the honeymoon phase.

As what was suggested already, a silicone ring and silicone wing would probably help it stabilize. But that's no good if the stem hurts your ear. I tried wearing mine like an iem and was unsuccessful. Maybe you'll have better luck.

The Temperament x6 is highly regarded and it's bell shaped. And will probably be my next pair of flats.

The Aeolian Bells are also highly regarded and they're cheaper than the T x6's. Actually I think these are going to be my next buy. I gotta make sure the bell shape does well in my ear before getting something higher ended.

Hope you get this site sorted out. It would be a travesty will if the world of buds were not accessible to you.

Edit: Actually it looks like the T x6 may be better for you. Because the Aeolian Bells need an mmcx terminated cable. Which is gonna give you a stem like an mx500 bud. The T x6 doesn't have a detachable cable thus not having much of a stem at all hanging from it.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #74,391 of 75,730
I'll keep fiddling with them, I've managed to get them seated properly a few times for a minute or two. I really do enjoy their sound, more than the Koss KSC75x and even the Blessing 2: Dusk, but it could be a honeymoon phase thing. The stem is quite uncomfortable though, I'll try wearing them upside down when I get home.

I'll second/third getting some silicone rings to try. I end up using them on a lot of my buds because my ear canals and conchae are fairly large so they sit and "seal" better with many shell types giving me a more consistent sound and better bass. Silicone wings/hooks can also be great for stabilizing a fit because they hold the buds in position. I use hooks with some of my buds like the Toneking Dendroaspis Viridis.

If you keep having issues and still want to use buds try different shell types. For instance, buds with PK style shells still have a stem, but it's thinner than MX500 and it has a narrowed area where the stem exits the ear so maybe they would solve your issue with them stem. There are also plenty of alternative flathead shapes made from various materials that don't have stems like Ksearphone LBBS and many others you can look into trying as well.

I honestly think there's probably a pair of buds out there for everyone so don't write them off on one try. Buds are awesome when you find the right pair(s)!🤘😎

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #74,393 of 75,730
I think you answered your own question...
Not really, no. It said bass but HOW bass. Like, the more you plug the tube the more bass? And why the long bass tube?

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #74,394 of 75,730
to make the lower freq bigger, especially the sub bass.. it can make more rumble
Wowza the bass tube. No more inconsistency and channel imbalance due to slight differences in manual drilled holes. Are these shells buyable? If I can also stuff MMCX connector in, they would be dream shells 🤔
yeah, thats why i design the shell. before this i make with mx500 shell + rary's rivet mod..

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #74,396 of 75,730
to make the lower freq bigger, especially the sub bass.. it can make more rumble

yeah, thats why i design the shell. before this i make with mx500 shell + rary's rivet mod..
If you ever make one with large enough stem to put MMCX connector inside, I'll by interested in buying some.

How do you tune these bass tube? Is is possible to put a nylon filter on the inside of the shells?

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:48 AM Post #74,397 of 75,730
If you ever make one with large enough stem to put MMCX connector inside, I'll by interested in buying some.

How do you tune these bass tube? Is is possible to put a nylon filter on the inside of the shells?
mmcx has different diameter in the market... i already make shell with mmcx + basstube. but different model

in my case i didnt put nylon mesh/filter inside the shell to block the basstube hole.. unless u design the tube with >1.9mm diameter.
all of my design has <1.9mm.. around 1.7mm-1.8mm is good enough..

1710391516241.png

1710391532974.png

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #74,399 of 75,730
Then again, some of us cannot wear MX500 shells comfortably. As for me, they are plenty comfortable, but I have the same issue with my right ear. But, not only does it sound a bit different (unless I don't move) but it also works itself out of my ear.

The only reason I share this with you is because, while most earbuds share similar sizes, it isn't always the size that matters as much as the shape and balance of the buds. I have many other shell types, and they all fit in varying degrees.
This is what allows the driver to move air. If it cannot move air; especially with such a small space, it cannot make any bass. The better the port and/or the vent is the more bass it can offer (though bigger isn't always better here). This is much like a home speaker, most times if it can produce bass, you will see a big hole in it somewhere. This is the same thing for a bigger speaker.

Mar 14, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #74,400 of 75,730
I am new here.
Which earbuds have the widest Sound stage?
Flathead earbud-style earphone wise you couldn't go wrong with the Toneking Green Mamba for superb wide soundstage but be warned they are hot!

1710421168112.png

The Flathead Corner

Users who are viewing this thread

Back