Eufonika (Valve amps from Poland)
Mar 22, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #1,336 of 1,387
I recently got my H5KPCU and I don't have that switch. Unfortunately I also suffer from noise. It's a 50 Hz hum and I tried different cables/ outlets with no other devices connected. There's less noise from one outlet but still audible. I also noticed that after a few hours the hum almost disappeared only to come back again. Could this be a matter of burn-in? But it seems pretty constant. The hum varies slightly from low to high volume and touching the top plate reduces the hum somewhat but not completely. So I'm thinking a ground-loop issue? I'm talking with Wieslaw to see if we can figure it out.

As far as sound goes I'm loving it! Atrium and HD650 is sounding better than ever, and this is with stock tubes and no burn-in. I was worried it'd be too warm for Atrium but I don't find that to be the case at all. The midrange is fantastic, the bass is punchy and deep, the treble is smooth yet detailed. A full bodied sound that isn't overly warm. The Burson amp sounds thin and brighter/ neutral in direct comparison with a smaller soundstage.

Now on to fix this annoying hum.

Edit: I just tried the amp in the kitchen outlet which is grounded and there's zero hum. Dead silent. The house is old and most wall outlets are ungrounded.

Attachments

• DSC_0258.JPG
    DSC_0258.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #1,337 of 1,387
I recently got my H5KPCU and I don't have that switch. Unfortunately I also suffer from noise. It's a 50 Hz hum and I tried different cables/ outlets with no other devices connected. There's less noise from one outlet but still audible. I also noticed that after a few hours the hum almost disappeared only to come back again. Could this be a matter of burn-in? But it seems pretty constant. The hum varies slightly from low to high volume and touching the top plate reduces the hum somewhat but not completely. So I'm thinking a ground-loop issue? I'm talking with Wieslaw to see if we can figure it out.

As far as sound goes I'm loving it! Atrium and HD650 is sounding better than ever, and this is with stock tubes and no burn-in. I was worried it'd be too warm for Atrium but I don't find that to be the case at all. The midrange is fantastic, the bass is punchy and deep, the treble is smooth yet detailed. A full bodied sound that isn't overly warm. The Burson amp sounds thin and brighter/ neutral in direct comparison with a smaller soundstage.

Edit: I just tried the amp in the kitchen outlet which is grounded and there's zero hum. Dead silent. The house is old and most wall outlets are ungrounded.
It seems like you are suffering from ground loop.
What dac are you using? And how it's connected to your source?

Oops sorry somehow I missed that you already found the solution

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #1,338 of 1,387

Sorry, can you take a clear picture of the bottom of the power tube?

Mar 22, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #1,339 of 1,387
Is that a 6V driver tube? Sure looks like a 6V heater getting 12V. Very bright!

I don't know the orientation of the 6/12V heater switch. In cases of heater uncertainty, the best approach is to use a 12V tube (12SN7). Either the 12V tube gets 12V and everything is fine. Or the 12V heater gets 6V and it sounds off, but doesn't damage the tube as quickly as a 6V tube getting 12V on the heaters.
Yes it was the wrong switch.
The amp works well with most of my headphones but distorts a lot the bass of my DT880 600 ohm. Could the wrong voltage have damaged the power tube?

Mar 22, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #1,342 of 1,387

Attachments

• DSC_0265.jpg
    DSC_0265.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0277.jpg
    DSC_0277.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 0
Mar 22, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #1,343 of 1,387
Update about the hum: So I was still able to get a significant amount of right channel hum in the grounded outlet (no input signal, only power) after warmup. I had a spare 6N13S power tube and now all hum seems to be gone. I hope it was just a bad tube! I don't wanna celebrate too early. I probably should've changed tubes before trying a million outlets haha

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #1,344 of 1,387

Now on to fix this annoyin

Update about the hum: So I was still able to get a significant amount of right channel hum in the grounded outlet (no input signal, only power) after warmup. I had a spare 6N13S power tube and now all hum seems to be gone. I hope it was just a bad tube! I don't wanna celebrate too early. I probably should've changed tubes before trying a million outlets haha
You're lucky. I didn't have any spares when my amp had a problem and I had to order them from Ukraine and wait a month. Didn't fix it.👍💯

Mar 22, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #1,347 of 1,387
Sorry man, my fault, I meant the top of the tube🙈 If you could, it would help me to understand if I messed up the tube or not

I'm not sure what you could tell from it. I have 2 pairs and they all look identical.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back