Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Oct 2, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #31 of 13,846
  Hi H1 good morning
bigsmile_face.gif
  It's 6:15pm for me here lol. We're talking across the oceans.

Wish me luck I'm committing to buying 2 of these. Was told the wordings are exactly the same as those in the photo and that they are NOS and tested. So hoping this time it's some shiny tubes.

They are beautiful!

Definitely good luck with them.  Will you return the first pair you bought?

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #33 of 13,846
  Hi H1 good morning
bigsmile_face.gif
  It's 6:15pm for me here lol. We're talking across the oceans.

Wish me luck I'm committing to buying 2 of these. Was told the wordings are exactly the same as those in the photo and that they are NOS and tested. So hoping this time it's some shiny tubes.

Hi UT...from the other end of the world even!...at 4pm.

Those certainly do look the business...and best wishes do indeed go to you - that they have a safe and speedy(?!) journey to you, lol...
dt880smile.png
. As for luck, once safely installed I'm quite sure you will be blown away...no luck needed!!
biggrin.gif
. And I - plus others, no doubt. - cannot wait to see how they compare with your 6N7G "Cokes"...mind you, I'm not sure I want to hear that the latter sound just as good, lol!!
wink_face.gif

But what I'd really like to know is - given the number of hours all these NOS tubes need to truly shine, where will you find said hours in the day??...with this I DO wish you luck, mon ami...
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #34 of 13,846
Hi JV, I returned the 1st pair of ECC31s. There's definitely no need for 2 pairs of these awesome tubes. :)

H1, I secretly wish that the 6N7G would equal or perform better than the ECC31 as it's better for all of us pocket wise. We shall see.

A seasoned forum user/reviewer here whom I respected gave his Top 5 6SN7 ranking quite a while ago. I believe they still hold true now:-
  • Mullard ECC32/CV181
  • Brimar CV1988/6SN7GTY
  • Mullard ECC33
  • Tung Sol black glass round plate 6SN7GT
  • Sylvania 6SN7W metal base

I will take my time with the tubes I've bought so far. It's probably enough for me now. I have no preference at this point on the tubes. I will love them all even the cheapest ones. I only paid $17.50 for each of the 6N7G Philco.
bigsmile_face.gif

Nep is this the seller you got your ECC31 from?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191687114164?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Oct 2, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #35 of 13,846
  Hi All,

Had a nervous moment when I saw that the thread was locked. Phew!

Now I know that I can still communicate and learn from all the kind, helpful and wonderful people on this thread. 

I have a pair of Sylvania/Arcturus 6N7G tubes coming as well as the adapters, and also a pair of re-labeled 6AS7GA tubes with copper rods. Possibly they are made by RCA, or maybe they are GE tubes - we have to see what they are.

I wish us all happy listening and happy tube rolling with the Elise with humility (and not breaking the bank lol).

Hi Mordy, eagerly awaiting your impressions of the 6N7G when it arrives as well as the 6AS7GA with copper rods. Copper rods gets me excited lol.

It is indeed a group of kind, helpful and wonderful people on this thread. I remember the movie 'A Few Good Men'. The rest will come eventually. Would love more to join us discussing Elise and all the tubes, gears that goes with her.

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #38 of 13,846
Those of you who are using the 6N7G tubes what do you find this tube  has over a steel 6N7  or a 6N7GT i dont seem to hear much difference when i compare the steel and the GT to a ECC 31 is it the clarity the warmth 3 d soundstage or something else its seems to be very subtile differences.imo .

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #39 of 13,846
Here is the "Well Tempered" turn table, playing "The Boston Rag" from Steely Dan's "Countdown To Ecstasy" the 1973 LP on ABC.

Also of note:  Phil Woods passed away day before yesterday.  He played the famous Sax parts on Billy Joel's 1977 hit "Just the Way You Are",  Paul Simon's "Have a Good Time"
and Steely Dan's "Doctor Wu".  He was also well known to the Jazz idiom.  Rest In Peace, Phil.

Hope everyone has a fun weekend!

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #40 of 13,846
  Those of you who are using the 6N7G tubes what do you find this tube  has over a steel 6N7  or a 6N7GT i dont seem to hear much difference when i compare the steel and the GT to a ECC 31 is it the clarity the warmth 3 d soudstage or something else its seems to be very subtile differences.imo .

Hello Mike...agreed the Steel and GT envelopes are similar.  Think you will find the ST bottle version a big step up in clarity and depth.  They are inexpensive at the moment, so I would encourage you to give them a whirl.

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #41 of 13,846
  Those of you who are using the 6N7G tubes what do you find this tube  has over a steel 6N7  or a 6N7GT i dont seem to hear much difference when i compare the steel and the GT to a ECC 31 is it the clarity the warmth 3 d soundstage or something else its seems to be very subtile differences.imo .

This is amazing discovery Mike. I think my hobby just got cheaper.
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #42 of 13,846

Originally Posted by MIKELAP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by UntilThen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is amazing discovery Mike. I think my hobby just got cheaper.
biggrin.gif

Just compared metal to ST 6N7's...I do like ST better...do think ST takes it with additional separation between instruments.  But metal is no slouch, less "forward"?.
I have no ECC31 yet, to compare.

But this is similar to what H1 says....ECC31 as one driver and FDD20 as the other (FDD20=6N7G 'ST' in 12v & different base), and he thinks they are very comparable as well.

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #45 of 13,846
I decided to give the GE 6AS7GA tube another spin. It was highlighted by Mordy much earlier. I needed to satisfy myself how this would perform in the Darkvoice 336se. I paired it with RCA 6SN7GT Smoke Glass VT231 and sat down for a good listen.

I was surprised this time how much more lively, airy and clean sounding it is with good extension at the top. Soundstage is deep. Good timing and good sound density. It is neither brittle or lean sounding or too warm. Bass is where it should be with good impact.

Strongly recommended and at $11 each from Parts Express be sure to grab a pair and try it out. You won't be disappointed. 
dt880smile.png

P/S I don't work for Parts Express nor do I own GE stocks 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back