Feliks Audio ENVY
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #6,151 of 6,883
The Telefunken G73-Rs are really awesome tubes.

The Melz it seems can be hit and miss for some unfortunately. There is some great information on the 6SN7 thread about getting the right ones. My pair works well with all power tubes but I think some must just be underwhelming.

I don't think anyone is less than thoroughly impressed with the G-73Rs though.

Hehe yep. Tyring to force those final few % out of our setups.

P.S. I have the MU2 on my shopping list now...
I think I found a legit pair of Melz from 1976 which seems to be the year that was the best. They even have the 1578 on the glass but the seller wants US $999 and I'm not willing to pay that much for them.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #6,152 of 6,883
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #6,153 of 6,883
No its simply not worth it. Not at all. Greed!

You need adapters but maybe you can get lucky:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36481475...AKhRTzZSRi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
I already have the G73r and they are great. They haven't left my Envy since receiving them. That's the only reason why I'm not in a hurry for the Melz.
I have had the RCA 5692 red base from 1959 for 3 weeks but haven't tried them yet and I also have some NOS 1960s Mullard ECC82 on hand that I've had for almost 2 weeks but haven't tried them yet either. The G73r are just that good that I'm not in a rush.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #6,154 of 6,883
I already have the G73r and they are great. They haven't left my Envy since receiving them. That's the only reason why I'm not in a hurry for the Melz.
I have had the RCA 5692 red base from 1959 for 3 weeks but haven't tried them yet and I also have some NOS 1960s Mullard ECC82 on hand that I've had for almost 2 weeks but haven't tried them yet either. The G73r are just that good that I'm not in a rush.
Absolutely.
I think you will enjoy those RCAs as well. They are not technically at the same level as the G73s or the Melz. They are warmer with a wonderful soundstage. They are my next pick though currently although I pair them with the Elrogs mostly.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #6,155 of 6,883
I would love to get the G73R's, but i'm not willing to spend almost a grand on them. I would also need to buy some adapters on top of it...

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #6,156 of 6,883
I would love to get the G73R's, but i'm not willing to spend almost a grand on them. I would also need to buy some adapters on top of it...
I think C3G and/or 5A/152M with adapters, or pretty much any of the Mullard or GEC CV6 with adapters are all more impressive than the G73R, and far cheaper. I couldn't find them for less than about $700 including 2 12ax7 adapters, and you could probably get all those other tubes I mentioned and adapters for that much.

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #6,157 of 6,883
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #6,158 of 6,883
Absolutely.
I think you will enjoy those RCAs as well. They are not technically at the same level as the G73s or the Melz. They are warmer with a wonderful soundstage. They are my next pick though currently although I pair them with the Elrogs mostly.
I am using the elrog's with the rca's as well...excellent pairing

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #6,159 of 6,883
I am still a newbie with tubes and havent owned the envy for long. I am starting to understand though, that what tubes is best is also highly dependent on the headphones sonic signature and prefered music genres. My headphones already have enough bass and richness in the mids and good timbre so some tubes can bring too much of something like bass or upper mids etc for the genres of music i like which is primarily, acoustic solo vocal, slow rock and country. I try to keep that in mind for future purchases.

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #6,160 of 6,883
Very interesting read thanks for the write up. Its intersting that in your perception Elrogs have a larger stage than WE, its was very obvious for me that WE sound not just much grander than Elrogs, but the stage becomes wider. Maybe it comes down to the playlist in the end, I can 100% second your impression of Parabola and Tool recordings in general though, stuff like Flood is just too trebly on Susvara and lacks a bit of the meatyness with Elrogs, while its absolutely mesmerizing with WE sounding "right" to me.

For me it was the euphonic tube nature, mid emphasis and the grandness of sound that made me chose WE over Elrogs in the end. Its a privelege owning both though, enjoy!
After reading reviews for the Riviera A1C-10 I am having buyers remorse as I preordered the Envy Anniversary Edition for a statement piece. But….there are apparently mixed reviews of the Envy AE. I have ENLUEM 23R for my Susvara and love it but wanted a more holographic expansive sound stage for Sus. Did I make a mistake?????

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #6,161 of 6,883
After reading reviews for the Riviera A1C-10 I am having buyers remorse as I preordered the Envy Anniversary Edition for a statement piece. But….there are apparently mixed reviews of the Envy AE. I have ENLUEM 23R for my Susvara and love it but wanted a more holographic expansive sound stage for Sus. Did I make a mistake?????
I don't think you made a mistake. Envy AE is certainly the same League as the Riviera.

Can you share the "bad" reviews of the AE?
All I read so far was uniform praise, I didn't get the impression of mixed reviews so far

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #6,162 of 6,883
Yes, please share with us ALL of the negative reviews. Enjoy your buyers remorse while I very much look forward to receiving my Envy AE.

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #6,163 of 6,883
I don't think you made a mistake. Envy AE is certainly the same League as the Riviera.

Can you share the "bad" reviews of the AE?
All I read so far was uniform praise, I didn't get the impression of mixed reviews so far
I don’t know where that came from but see below

eskamobob1 said:
the envy AE seems to be getting a lot of mixed feedback. TBH, I thought it was basically trash given the price (out resolved by the new ZMF amp which also ran sus better to boot), but others bought it on the spot. For me personally, it felt like an envy with more incision, smaller stage, and a lot more grain (basically the changes you get from elrogs anyways but made even worse by the grain). If you are looking for a 300B amp in that tier I would look into the traformatic primavera. That said, if you like the elrog sound, I would just go with 845s (viva is amazing, and aries cerat genius may be worth a look as well, but I havent heard it myself)

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #6,164 of 6,883
I don’t know where that came from but see below

eskamobob1 said:
the envy AE seems to be getting a lot of mixed feedback. TBH, I thought it was basically trash given the price (out resolved by the new ZMF amp which also ran sus better to boot), but others bought it on the spot. For me personally, it felt like an envy with more incision, smaller stage, and a lot more grain (basically the changes you get from elrogs anyways but made even worse by the grain). If you are looking for a 300B amp in that tier I would look into the traformatic primavera. That said, if you like the elrog sound, I would just go with 845s (viva is amazing, and aries cerat genius may be worth a look as well, but I havent heard it myself)
Ok that was posted in the Riviera thread not here. No wonder I missed it.

Didn't hear anyone else share his impressions regarding the graininess. He even considered it a downgrade towards regular Envy which us unique so far.

Thx for linking

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #6,165 of 6,883
Which new ZMF Amp is he talking about? The Homage? :D

After all the praise OG Envy got, I read such emotional “reviews” as reactions to the pricing by people who bought something else and are not particularly happy with the choice.

Please take my feedback on Elrogs with a grain of salt, we all listen on different chains to different genres and prefer different things in our music. I enjoy mid emphasis and am rather picky about tonal balance and dislike when the tonal balance shifts towards overly analytical too dynamic summit fi sound.
If you end up disliking the Elrogs in your AE you will have zero problem selling them well getting WE or Takatsuki instead.

Saying this AE was designed with Elrogs signature back in mind, I think Feliks engineers know what they are doing, considering the superb tonal balance on PE Envy with Fullmusic tubes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back