Feliks Audio ENVY
Mar 29, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #6,136 of 6,887
I liked the WEs right out of the box. Immediately.

My current pair have less than 100 hrs but they are improving already.

They appear to be opening up more. More extension in the highs and lows.

I'm not a reviewer so I can't explain any better than that I'm afraid but basically that's how I'd describe it.

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #6,137 of 6,887
Tak’s and CV1988 is one of my favourite combinations. Along with others though. 😀
Brimars back in... And back out. Don't think the gel well with FM. Back to stock until the taks arrive. 😁

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #6,138 of 6,887
Brimars back in... And back out. Don't think the gel well with FM. Back to stock until the taks arrive. 😁
I really enjoyed the CV1988s with the FM although most of my observations are the same as yours. I really like the additional weight they brought to the mids and the mid-bass. I like the 12AU7 Brimar CV4003 better overall. They also have a warmer signature and might not be everyone's preference unless using bright headphones.

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #6,139 of 6,887
I really enjoyed the CV1988s with the FM although most of my observations are the same as yours. I really like the additional weight they brought to the mids and the mid-bass. I like the 12AU7 Brimar CV4003 better overall. They also have a warmer signature and might not be everyone's preference unless using bright headphones.
Cool, so my ears are working well enough. Did the 4003 give a more balanced presentation vs 1988 and I'm only assuming this is compared to the psvanes?

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #6,140 of 6,887
By the way what are you pairing the Melz with?

They have wonderful synergy with the WEs. Even better than the MO + Melz combo to me.

Enjoying that combo rather a lot at the moment.
Just the stock full music its already an improvement. Nice treble extension and the mids and bass is just about right for my taste. I may buy the acme 300b one day...better fits my budget. Also im selling more gear to recoup some funds. Most of my listening on the caldera with thick pads and VC thesebtwo HPs is enough for me for now.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #6,141 of 6,887
Cool, so my ears are working well enough. Did the 4003 give a more balanced presentation vs 1988 and I'm only assuming this is compared to the psvanes?
Yes, my observations are when compared to the psvanes. I think the CV4003s provided a more balanced presentation than the CV1988s. Vocals sounded liquid-like for lack of a better term and I started to feel as if the artist was in the room singing. I felt more clarity from the CV4003s over the CV1988s as well. When compared to the psvanes, the CV4003s still seem like a little treble was removed but the note weight/heft and midrange improvement made up for it. If using brighter headphones like HD800S, the removal of some treble energy is perfect. With Susvara, the overall presentation is still very good.
The only reason why I took them out was to try the G73r and those haven't come out of the Envy yet they are that good. I will be trying some 1960s NOS Mullard ECC82s that I recently received and the RCA 5692 red base that I received a few weeks ago to see if they will replace the G73r.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #6,142 of 6,887
Just the stock full music its already an improvement. Nice treble extension and the mids and bass is just about right for my taste. I may buy the acme 300b one day...better fits my budget. Also im selling more gear to recoup some funds. Most of my listening on the caldera with thick pads and VC thesebtwo HPs is enough for me for now.
Yes just enjoy - there is no rush.

I also have some items on ebay at the moment to recover from recent purchases. I can afford most things over time but impatience means I now need to calm it down for a little while too. Buy now pay later is too tempting!

I have the Caldera on my list to try/buy. I bet those things are awesome.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #6,143 of 6,887
Currently, I've temporarily set aside my Susvara. Overindulging with Envy + WE300B + 1578s was diminishing my appreciation, so I'm exploring other combinations with Envy. Presently, 800s and 6xx have my attention (particularly 800s). WE300B + RCA VT-231 accentuates the heavenly tone of the 6xx. WE300B + TSBGRP is extremely liquid and detailed with 800s. Overall 800s is a perfect dynamic-timbre contrast from Susvara and soaks up a little more tube color. Despite my initial excitement, Utopia didn't quite gel with Envy, leading to its sale, as Susvara consistently outperformed it. Elex isn’t bad (nice with Ken Rad VT231) but doesn’t scale a great deal, and I’ll likely let it go. I’m still formulating impressions with G73r but did briefly try them with Susvara and still prefer 1578s + WE300B, but G73r have impressed and are great for pushing into medium and high gain with 800s.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #6,144 of 6,887
Currently, I've temporarily set aside my Susvara. Overindulging with Envy + WE300B + 1578s was diminishing my appreciation, so I'm exploring other combinations with Envy. Presently, 800s and 6xx have my attention (particularly 800s). WE300B + RCA VT-231 accentuates the heavenly tone of the 6xx. WE300B + TSBGRP is extremely liquid and detailed with 800s. Overall 800s is a perfect dynamic-timbre contrast from Susvara and soaks up a little more tube color. Despite my initial excitement, Utopia didn't quite gel with Envy, leading to its sale, as Susvara consistently outperformed it. Elex isn’t bad (nice with Ken Rad VT231) but doesn’t scale a great deal, and I’ll likely let it go. I’m still formulating impressions with G73r but did briefly try them with Susvara and still prefer 1578s + WE300B, but G73r have impressed and are great for pushing into medium and high gain with 800s.
I like the 800s too with Envy. These hp seem to get overlooked these days.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #6,145 of 6,887
I really enjoy the G73r with Susvara and 800s. I am using Sophia Electric "Clear Glass 300B with WE Soul Inside and Out". They are supposed to be WE equivalents with emphasis in areas that Sophia Electric thought WE was lacking and look exactly like WE300B. That being said, the signature may be close enough that I might like the Melz. I was eyeing them but then I heard the G73r may be a tad bit better so I went for those instead. I may eventually get Melz but I've been investing heavily in driver tubes lately.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #6,148 of 6,887
I really enjoy the G73r with Susvara and 800s. I am using Sophia Electric "Clear Glass 300B with WE Soul Inside and Out". They are supposed to be WE equivalents with emphasis in areas that Sophia Electric thought WE was lacking and look exactly like WE300B. That being said, the signature may be close enough that I might like the Melz. I was eyeing them but then I heard the G73r may be a tad bit better so I went for those instead. I may eventually get Melz but I've been investing heavily in driver tubes lately.
The Telefunken G73-Rs are really awesome tubes.

The Melz it seems can be hit and miss for some unfortunately. There is some great information on the 6SN7 thread about getting the right ones. My pair works well with all power tubes but I think some must just be underwhelming.

I don't think anyone is less than thoroughly impressed with the G-73Rs though.

This is like a tube supermarket in here.
Hehe yep. Tyring to force those final few % out of our setups.

P.S. I have the MU2 on my shopping list now...

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #6,149 of 6,887
G-73R's were originally the plan but having spoken to someone they recommended Tak's with cv1988. I'll await the taks arriving before making any final conclusion. (Caveat, they're using Cayin, not Feliks).

So for G-73R, what should one be looking out for when window shopping? Are the ebay pairs a fair buy? Brimars already seem to be a minefield (red base, black base, clear tube, black tube, mottled base etc). Wouldn't mind some advice for G-73R. B65 were also mentioned but I see there's Marconi B65's with an asking price of 2k!!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #6,150 of 6,887
I don't think anyone is less than thoroughly impressed with the G-73Rs though.
Unfortunately they are like impossible to get at a reasonable price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back