[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #2,086 of 3,707
Loving the BTR5, only glitch is I can't get it to activate google assistant. Perhaps issue is that I am trying to do this while paired / connected to my phone but not actively using it for music. Does the double click of middle button to call assistant on android phone still work if the connection is idyll?

I ask because if i initiate a call directly from my phone it transfers seamlessly to BTR5 and I can end it by clicking the middle button. That suggested to me that the BT connection BTR5 <--> phone needs to be in use for those functions to work.

Am I missing something here?

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #2,087 of 3,707
Thanks for this post. I must be doing something wrong because the call quality experience I have when walking outside is not very good. I'll give it another go. Maybe I need to use a CTIA cable for better call quality, but I am concerned it will impair audio experience. When I am inside near my desk, call quality is good, but there is no noise. When someone comes into my office, I need to remove an earphone to talk. I guess I'll have to live with that limitation for a while.
Another thing to try is to only use the microphone in the BTR5, and put the BTR5 in your shirt / light coat pocket... that way the BTR5 microphone can still pick up your voice - they are very sensitive - but the wind noise will be cut down like a wind sock on a microphone. I also cup my hands and hold the BTR5 up to my mouth to cut the wind noise. The plastic case may be clipped to the shirt / jacket - a small piece of cotton ball fluff pinched between the BTR5 microphone hole and the case might help too (I haven't tried that one myself yet).

I've even taken a call when the BTR5 is in my pants pocket... they didn't complain :)

If the cable you have connected to the BTR5 has a microphone that might cause problems with picking up noise. Try getting a cable without the microphone pod. A good time to get a balanced cable with 2.5mm connection - the BTR5 puts out more power from the 2.5mm port...

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #2,088 of 3,707
Another thing to try is to only use the microphone in the BTR5, and put the BTRt in your shirt / light coat pocket... that way the BTR5 microphone can still pick up your voice - they are very sensitive - but the wind noise will be cut down like a wind sock on a microphone. I also cup my hands and hold the BTR5 up to my mouth to cut the wind noise. The plastic case may be clipped to the shirt / jacket - a small piece of cotton pinched between the BTR5 and the case might help too (I haven't tried that one myself yet).

I've even taken a call when the BTR5 is in my pants pocket... they didn't complain :)

If the cable you have connected to the BTR5 has a microphone that might cause problems with picking up noise. Try getting a cable without the microphone pod. A good time to get a balanced cable with 2.5mm connection - the BTR5 puts out more power from the 2.5mm port...

I use the stock cable plugged right into the BTR5 clipped onto my shirt. Maybe I need to try it in the pocket.

Sep 19, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #2,089 of 3,707
So I'm looking into getting this to hook up to my TV (Hisense H9G) to watch movies using USB. Does anyone know if this can be compatible with a TV USB? Thanks

Sep 19, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #2,090 of 3,707
So I'm looking into getting this to hook up to my TV (Hisense H9G) to watch movies using USB. Does anyone know if this can be compatible with a TV USB? Thanks

Are you sure your TV supports USB DAC?

Sep 19, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #2,091 of 3,707
Are you sure your TV supports USB DAC?
I have no idea lol, that's why I'm posting the question. It goes have an optical out, but the BTR5 doesn't accept that :frowning2:

Sep 19, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #2,092 of 3,707
Almost all TVs offer digital/optical out but HDMI ARC appears to be the best interface for maximum rates and often used in pro world. But of course, only the latest and expensive TVs ($800+) seem to come with HDMI ARC output and rarely any external DAC/Amps with HDMI ARC input. Would love to know more about this route from HDMI ARC users.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #2,093 of 3,707
I think it's a nightmare using the BTR5 with several sources paired with it.
I have paired my iPhone, my Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 and an Avantree DG60 USB transmitter (which just connects to the latest connected device, no manual connect/disconnect).
The BTR5 have no option to choose which source it should connect to, or an option to disconnect, and even if it says it has AAC from the iPhone there's sometimes no sound. (because it's also connected to either the DG60 or the Shield?)

It's also wrongly connected to the DG60 with AptX LL, not HD while connected to either the iPhone or Shield as well. Have to manually disconnect on those devices to get AptX HD.

Any tips or tricks here, please?

Sep 20, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #2,094 of 3,707
I think it's a nightmare using the BTR5 with several sources paired with it.
I have paired my iPhone, my Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 and an Avantree DG60 USB transmitter (which just connects to the latest connected device, no manual connect/disconnect).
The BTR5 have no option to choose which source it should connect to, or an option to disconnect, and even if it says it has AAC from the iPhone there's sometimes no sound. (because it's also connected to either the DG60 or the Shield?)

It's also wrongly connected to the DG60 with AptX LL, not HD while connected to either the iPhone or Shield as well. Have to manually disconnect on those devices to get AptX HD.

Any tips or tricks here, please?
Hmmm, I also have BTR5 connected to Avantree DG60 and my phone (android). it seems to work intuitively, such that if I'm streaming music from PC to BTR5 using DG60 and a call comes in, it switches to phone then back to DG60 when I hang up. DG60 indicator is solid white (AptX HD) and BTR5 displays AptX HD but changes to AptX when phone call is active. I wish I knew how I acheived that which seems like desired multi-point behavior. If I can sort out how to adjust settings I'll share, with caveat that I don't have an iPhone so YMMV.

Sep 20, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #2,095 of 3,707
Hmmm, I also have BTR5 connected to Avantree DG60 and my phone (android). it seems to work intuitively, such that if I'm streaming music from PC to BTR5 using DG60 and a call comes in, it switches to phone then back to DG60 when I hang up. DG60 indicator is solid white (AptX HD) and BTR5 displays AptX HD but changes to AptX when phone call is active. I wish I knew how I acheived that which seems like desired multi-point behavior. If I can sort out how to adjust settings I'll share, with caveat that I don't have an iPhone so YMMV.
Thanks for answering.
Yes, I've also got a call when it was connected to the DG60. That worked.

But; what if I'm connected to the DG60, and want to switch to the iPhone for music (in your case Android phone)?
And worse, back to the DG60 again...
And to make it even worse, connect the Nvidia Shield and use that for a while.

I actually had to disconnect the DG60 from it's USB socket, to get sound from the phone. (Edit: Seems like the DG60 is "hogging" the connection?)
And then to use the DG60 again, after used the iPhone (or Shield) I need to manually disconnect the BTR5 from the BT settings on the phone/Shield.
Sooo cumbersome...
Wish there was an option in the app where you could switch the source from there. (like there's in the Sennheiser Smart Control app for my MTW2)

BTW: My DG60 is pre-2020 batch, so I have triple-flash for AptX HD :) (had to google when you wrote solid white)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #2,096 of 3,707
Thanks for answering.
Yes, I've also got a call when it was connected to the DG60. That worked.

But; what if I'm connected to the DG60, and want to switch to the iPhone for music (in your case Android phone)?
And worse, back to the DG60 again...
And to make it even worse, connect the Nvidia Shield and use that for a while.

I actually had to disconnect the DG60 from it's USB socket, to get sound from the phone. (Edit: Seems like the DG60 is "hogging" the connection?)
And then to use the DG60 again, after used the iPhone (or Shield) I need to manually disconnect the BTR5 from the BT settings on the phone/Shield.
Sooo cumbersome...
Wish there was an option in the app where you could switch the source from there. (like there's in the Sennheiser Smart Control app for my MTW2)

BTW: My DG60 is pre-2020 batch, so I have triple-flash for AptX HD :) (had to google when you wrote solid white)
Yes, it can be cumbersome but I am happy with the sound quality of these devices in concert so I live with it. :smile_phones: I did initially note that despite AptX HD 24-bit capability when DG60 was being used as a USB DAC/sound card in my PC it was only capable of 16-bit, and Avantree customer support acknowledged that was the case with prior version and exchanged it for me t0 V.1 / HD compatible. I was impressed with this post-sale service, although it was a bit odd that an AptX HD capable BT device was only outputting 16 bit from PC. Perhaps that switch to newest version may be worthwhile for you as well.

Sep 20, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #2,097 of 3,707
Yes, it can be cumbersome but I am happy with the sound quality of these devices in concert so I live with it. :smile_phones: I did initially note that despite AptX HD 24-bit capability when DG60 was being used as a USB DAC/sound card in my PC it was only capable of 16-bit, and Avantree customer support acknowledged that was the case with prior version and exchanged it for me t0 V.1 / HD compatible. I was impressed with this post-sale service, although it was a bit odd that an AptX HD capable BT device was only outputting 16 bit from PC. Perhaps that switch to newest version may be worthwhile for you as well.
Funny you mention it. They have just sent me the same updated/modded version with 24bit (but still just 48khz). Will get it in 10-15 days time. (sent from China) :)
Yes, that's very impressive post-sale service!

Sep 20, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #2,098 of 3,707
Funny you mention it. They have just sent me the same updated/modded version with 24bit (but still just 48khz). Will get it in 10-15 days time. (sent from China) :)
Yes, that's very impressive post-sale service!
YMMV but whether placebo / expectation bias or reality-based, I am really enjoying FLAC's output using HQPlayer 24/48 PCM --> DG60 --> BTR5 --> Shozy Form 1.1. Indeed, I think these mid-fi IEM's are the limiting factor in sound quality, not bit rate. Have some next-level IEM's also en route from China, TRI I3. For now this has quelled my interest in TWS IEM's or over-ear BT's like Shure Aonic50, as the BTR5 is so light I just plug in the IEM's, clip it to my shirt and I can forget it's there.

Sep 24, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #2,099 of 3,707
New added Custom button function,BTR5 FW2.0 is now available!

The following changes and improvements have been made in FW2.0:

1.Added a new function of renaming the Bluetooth device. (FiiO Control App->Setting menu->Custom device name)

2.Added new options to the APP: Custom button function, Long press/Double tap the volume button to switch songs. (You would need to install FiiO Music APP V3.0 or FiiO Control APP latest version)

3.Fixed the issue where there was no prompt when turning the device off and when plugging in earphones after the device is turning on.

4.Fixed the issue where under Bluetooth multipoint pairing, if Device A is answering a phone call and Device B also had one later, after Device B hung up, the voice of Device A could not be heard.

5.Fixed the issue of text misses under USB in-vehicle mode.

6.Miscellaneous bug fixes.

BTR5 FW2.0: Click here

How to update the BTR5: Click here

USB DAC Driver(v4.47.0):
Click here

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 25, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #2,100 of 3,707
New added Custom button function,BTR5 FW2.0 is now available!

The following changes and improvements have been made in FW2.0:

1.Added a new function of renaming the Bluetooth device. (FiiO Control App->Setting menu->Custom device name)

2.Added new options to the APP: Custom button function, Long press/Double tap the volume button to switch songs. (You would need to install FiiO Music APP V3.0 or FiiO Control APP latest version)

3.Fixed the issue where there was no prompt when turning the device off and when plugging in earphones after the device is turning on.

4.Fixed the issue where under Bluetooth multipoint pairing, if Device A is answering a phone call and Device B also had one later, after Device B hung up, the voice of Device A could not be heard.

5.Fixed the issue of text misses under USB in-vehicle mode.

6.Miscellaneous bug fixes.

BTR5 FW2.0: Click here

How to update the BTR5: Click here

USB DAC Driver(v4.47.0):
Click here
The update has brought some nice customisations for the buttons - well done Fiio.
I also updated the Android app (english) but the setting for the volume buttons is in Chinese characters, I figured it out but you might want to let the app team know about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back