flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 6, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #5,881 of 39,414
So the U18 is a great siren. Awakening, enchanting, I'm in the musicians. But .. It does not let me calm down, it's so credible that I have to be on it all the time, it does not turn me off ...
Layla is like a sweet dream ... calm down, relaxing, moving to another world ...
This is what I expect from SE5 as well...
Both are excellent IEM, but I am 50 years old and have a better relaxation than the sparkling
This is the main reason and of course the silicone CIEM.:L3000:

About cables:
Many people do not believe in the cables. I personally did not find a single stock cable so far adequate for IEMs. Already a normal OCC copper cable (Forza, Ares) can cause big changes in the sound image.
I use a 40- to 50-year-old German OFC litz and have such an organic voice that gives each IEM a real, natural sound.
Never regret our money from the cable (of course within the limits of reason)
Ah you know, you could consider getting a SilverFi cable for the A18. You're in Turkey right, anywhere close to Antalya perhaps? If so, you should pay Sezai a visit and try some for yourself. He shares a similar philosophy. Of course the IEM-R4 is pretty expensive, but the whole lineup carries that natural sound which will really smooth out the upper treble and create a warmer sound.
For example, cable production in Germany was the peak vintage of 1934-1944:smiling_imp:
Germans in that age, probably the closest thing to pure evil. But leave it up to them to make fine cables huh :D

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #5,882 of 39,414
Ah you know, you could consider getting a SilverFi cable for the A18. You're in Turkey right, anywhere close to Antalya perhaps? If so, you should pay Sezai a visit and try some for yourself. He shares a similar philosophy. Of course the IEM-R4 is pretty expensive, but the whole lineup carries that natural sound which will really smooth out the upper treble and create a warmer sound.

Germans in that age, probably the closest thing to pure evil. But leave it up to them to make fine cables huh :D
With OFC Litz and custom silicone tip, the 5.5 kHz peak was beautifully dimmed.
I've just gone to U18 ... I'm talking to Gregorz about the details of the SE5 ... for example, the connectors of the aftermarket cables. I can see that barrel shape connectors does not play ...
No problem I'm going to make a square ...:slight_smile:

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #5,883 of 39,414
1933-1945 especially was the devil's favorite era

man , i saw austria with a 46% on neo-nazi vote, how can people forget the evils of history past ? i am baffled

Nov 6, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #5,885 of 39,414
The people in Austria demanded progress and a political change, which they did become on the 15th of Oct. The past 10+ years the administration in Austria did nothing but driving the car against a wall, but I guess thats another topic which should not be discussed in here :)

I did get a set of Warbler Prelude myself, which I absolutely adore. Next purchase: SE5U

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #5,886 of 39,414
I´m wondering when Nic will write about this mysterious exciting news he told us a few days back. I think he will announce that he decided to launch an IEM company in order to build his special hidden #1 the famous "beer cap" IEM with not 18 BA´s and not 1 BA but with only one half of a BA! :ksc75smile:

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #5,887 of 39,414
I´m wondering when Nic will write about this mysterious exciting news he told us a few days back. I think he will announce that he decided to launch an IEM company in order to build his special hidden #1 the famous "beer cap" IEM with not 18 BA´s and not 1 BA but with only one half of a BA! :ksc75smile:

Soon... soon... :wink:

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #5,889 of 39,414
No, seriously, if he would build his own IEM (or the THL crew all together) I´m sure it would be nothing short of spectacular :wink:

We'd be happy to accept donations under the condition that we keep the cash if we fail. :D

Nov 7, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #5,890 of 39,414
Nov 8, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #5,891 of 39,414
Or even if we don't try. :)
You will all be like...
M445hiQ.gif

Nov 8, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #5,892 of 39,414
No, seriously, if he would build his own IEM (or the THL crew all together) I´m sure it would be nothing short of spectacular :wink:
I had a think about that and I believe I know what those IEMs would look like: they would be 18-drivers with 17 switches. The first switch (switch #1) would activate 5 of the drivers to create a warm and natural sound with a special ambience to them. The second switch (#2) would activate 14 of the drivers to give a highly resolved and powerful sound with forward vocals. The third switch (#3) would then activate all 18 drivers to create a hyper-detailed and energetic reference sound, which can be contrasted nicely by the fourth switch (#4) that deactivates all but one driver to provide warmth and intimacy will excellent timbre... etc... :D

Oh, and there might be a hidden 18th switch that activates 8 drivers and keeps popping up all the time because it wants to be included as well... :p

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #5,893 of 39,414
I had a think about that and I believe I know what those IEMs would look like: they would be 18-drivers with 17 switches. The first switch (switch #1) would activate 5 of the drivers to create a warm and natural sound with a special ambience to them. The second switch (#2) would activate 14 of the drivers to give a highly resolved and powerful sound with forward vocals. The third switch (#3) would then activate all 18 drivers to create a hyper-detailed and energetic reference sound, which can be contrasted nicely by the fourth switch (#4) that deactivates all but one driver to provide warmth and intimacy will excellent timbre... etc... :D

Oh, and there might be a hidden 18th switch that activates 8 drivers and keeps popping up all the time because it wants to be included as well... :p

Oooh, I would buy that one definitely, but only if the internal wiring would be with gold plated silver and the IEM wouldn´t cost more than $ 1k :wink:

Nov 8, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #5,894 of 39,414

Sounds like an RMA nightmare... 1 switch broken = channel imbalance for days

Nov 8, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #5,895 of 39,414
Sounds like an RMA nightmare... 1 switch broken = channel imbalance for days

Maybe Nic could throw in a set of tuning filters and valves a la FLC8S to counter that possibility? :wink:

Speaking of FLC, probably the wrong thread, but is there any more news about their super-tunable flagship yet (Celeste?)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back