FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
Mar 29, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #601 of 916
In addition to the Mentor being back in stock in a couple weeks, the M-Field with it's rich, more tubey sound will go on sale soon.
-per Flux.
Something tells me the MJ3 sits somewhere between the two…i can’t imagine the m-field sounding as wide as the mentor, looking forward to some impressions slack, you’re the chosen one lol get ready to use that black card lol

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #602 of 916
Something tells me the MJ3 sits somewhere between the two…i can’t imagine the m-field sounding as wide as the mentor, looking forward to some impressions slack, you’re the chosen one lol get ready to use that black card lol
hahahaha , my wallet still isnt speaking to me after the last 2 months lolol.

The M-Field is quite interesting. I wonder if it doesnt just sound a lot like the MJ3 as it seems like that's potentially the case.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #603 of 916
I was also considering M-Field for a moment. Flux described it like the M-field will likely be closer to the OOR amp in terms of bass. Slower (like Mentor), but also more full and massive at the same time.
Also - M-Field wants to achieve a more intimate sound stage (meaning closer to the head). Mentor shall create "the illusion from the sound stage that you are listening not to headphones, but to a speaker system, taking the sound out of your head as much as possible".

The bigger sound stage made me finally convert to Mentor (as that is also strong side of He1000Se). I was ready to sacrifice some of the fullness of bass for that, but then I learned myself that the level of bass depends on the whole chain. In the end I don't feel that I sacrificed anything in terms of bass.

But I didn't hear M-Field :), so definitely an interesting product, especially for the same price as Mentor.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #604 of 916
I was also considering M-Field for a moment. Flux described it like the M-field will likely be closer to the OOR amp in terms of bass. Slower (like Mentor), but also more full and massive at the same time.
Also - M-Field wants to achieve a more intimate sound stage (meaning closer to the head). Mentor shall create "the illusion from the sound stage that you are listening not to headphones, but to a speaker system, taking the sound out of your head as much as possible".

The bigger sound stage made me finally convert to Mentor (as that is also strong side of He1000Se). I was ready to sacrifice some of the fullness of bass for that, but then I learned myself that the level of bass depends on the whole chain. In the end I don't feel that I sacrificed anything in terms of bass.

But I didn't hear M-Field :), so definitely an interesting product, especially for the same price as Mentor.
Im with you, i chose Mentor knowing full well about M-Field. A look at the guts told me I'd prefer the Mentor as well.

But M-Field is interesting.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #605 of 916
Im with you, i chose Mentor knowing full well about M-Field. A look at the guts told me I'd prefer the Mentor as well.

But M-Field is interesting.
Inside of the mentor is beautiful, makes you want to run it wide open lol

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #606 of 916
The reason why the Mentor stood out was the detailed lower frequencies allowing you to hear sounds that you didn’t recognize in your music and the wide soundstage. It also tamed the treble harshness and hissing for the HeK headphones without sacrificing the resolution.

Another amp that can do so well is the Mass Kobo 465 but that thing is 17K usd before tax. The M field would likely sacrifice that detail for the fuller sounds. Then it would be just like any other sub 3k amp and more in line with mid fi level gears.

That said, I could very well be wrong. I’ve been wrong before when I thought the dual mono on the Mentor couldn’t possibly make the sounds any better. Strangely it was even more detailed and wider sound stage.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #608 of 916
Inside of the mentor is beautiful, makes you want to run it wide open lol
i love it too. it just has a pleasing layout to my eyes, nothing to cramped, two big ole toroidal transformers.

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #609 of 916
Does anyone know how this compares to the Violectric V222 or Mjolnir 3? I'm looking for something up to about $1,300 that suites an HE1000 Stealth and Focal Clear OG.
we all feel like it is a tier up from them, but no disrespect to either of those fantastic amps.

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #610 of 916
Does anyone know how this compares to the Violectric V222 or Mjolnir 3? I'm looking for something up to about $1,300 that suites an HE1000 Stealth and Focal Clear OG.
I have the MJ3. The mentor is indeed an upgrade from that. Not sure about the violectric but based on reviews of people using it with Susvara, it’s no where close to the Flux Mentor. That assessment includes up to the Violectric V281.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #611 of 916
Yeah I think it bests the 2- series but the v550 or v590 are tanks and thats probably a good next step up... not over your STACK though.
You even have Ferrum Oor smothered with the Mentor stack. Honestly have to get into some very expensive shat to outdo that.

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:36 AM Post #612 of 916
Wondering if it is possible to use Mentor as “preamp” for my speakers preamp, namely connect Mentor’s SE out into RCA input of the preamp. Can this do any harm?
Then I could make use of the remote controller when listening to speakers (as my preamp does not have that).

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #613 of 916
Wondering if it is possible to use Mentor as “preamp” for my speakers preamp, namely connect Mentor’s SE out into RCA input of the preamp. Can this do any harm?
Then I could make use of the remote controller when listening to speakers (as my preamp does not have that).
Well, considering the power output on the Mentor you can actually do that. You can always email customer service at Flux website and ask them that.

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #614 of 916
I own the Violectric V340 and the Flux Mentor. I love both….however if push came to shove and I could only keep one of them….I’m keeping the Mentor. I also own HiFiman HE1000v2 (nonstealth).

Mar 30, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #615 of 916
I own the Violectric V340 and the Flux Mentor. I love both….however if push came to shove and I could only keep one of them….I’m keeping the Mentor. I also own HiFiman HE1000v2 (nonstealth).
very good to know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back