FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
May 8, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #886 of 1,039
Arrived! Total time from order to USA delivery was exactly two weeks.

Right off the bat- I did not realize that I'd have to have the volume up so high on HIGH gain mode for the Abyss 1266. Sounds absolutely H-U-G-E thus far. It really is wide-reaching on the frequency range. I'll look forward to it sounding even better after the recommended burn-in of 100 hours.

V6OSgM0.jpg

May 8, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #887 of 1,039

Right off the bat- I did not realize that I'd have to have the volume up so high on HIGH gain mode for the Abyss 1266. Sounds absolutely H-U-G-E thus far. It really is wide-reaching on the frequency range. I'll look forward to it sounding even better after the recommended burn-in of 100 hours.

V6OSgM0.jpg
The volume follows logaritmic curve (first half slowly goes up but later on smaller steps mean higher gain) so I would expect from there you will only need slight adjustments. Just out of curiosity - on low gain the 1266 does not go loud enough at all?

May 8, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #888 of 1,039

V6OSgM0.jpg
Also, I would realty appreciate your impressions with HD800S :)0000000000000000000000

May 8, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #889 of 1,039

V6OSgM0.jpg
You would benefit from the dual mentor stack as it has 2.5 times the power.

May 8, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #890 of 1,039

V6OSgM0.jpg
I get my tomorrow! Delayed due to weather. Can you also try to do a preamp from your WA22 to the Mentor and see how that sound? I'm interested to get a tube amp after getting the Mentor.

May 8, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #891 of 1,039
The volume follows logaritmic curve (first half slowly goes up but later on smaller steps mean higher gain) so I would expect from there you will only need slight adjustments. Just out of curiosity - on low gain the 1266 does not go loud enough at all?
Ahh, that makes sense. OK- I just tried it on low and medium and it produces great sound on both. The volume knob past Noon behaves and is set differently on each gain setting, but the headphones are fully driven, even when on LOW. It is definitely loud enough. By that, I mean the push and girth are like fully-matured Canadian bison. I now understand what people have been talking about with getting the last x% from your headphones or when your headphones "scale up" with gear.
Also, I would realty appreciate your impressions with HD800S :)0000000000000000000000
Yes, that will be on my list and I'll be happy post impressions!
You would benefit from the dual mentor stack as it has 2.5 times the power.
Probably not in the budget, but a great idea nonetheless.
I get my tomorrow! Delayed due to weather. Can you also try to do a preamp from your WA22 to the Mentor and see how that sound? I'm interested to get a tube amp after getting the Mentor.
Awesome! We'll all look forward to your impressions and we can also compare notes on what we are experiencing. Yes, I'll eventually get around to trying the WA22 as a pre, which is something I've never experienced. I will report back on that one.

May 8, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #892 of 1,039
So I’ve been A/Bing the MJ3 and the Mentor and I thought I’d drop in some thoughts. I make no pretence to being able to properly review equipment, this is all my opinions and reactions. I won’t be saying anything anyone else hasn’t said. My interest is I generally prefer class A, and these are both similarly price, highly reviewed units that really go all out.

My chain is PC/ CD > MScaler and Dave > MJ3/Mentor > Meze Elite

The soundstage on the Mentor is incredible. So wide, so much separation between instruments, just the biggest I’ve heard. The MJ3s soundstage is good, but not this good. However, I do find vocals on the Mentor are further away than I’d like, and the MJ3 puts things closer and where I like them.

The Mentor’s detail is precise, clear and crisp. Neutral and excellent. At no point unpleasant. The MJ3 has detail, but there’s a definite house sound. Same with timbre and tone. The Mentor is clean, but the MJ3 has a richness that attracting and comfortable.

I feel these are both really good amps, and its down entirely to what you want from them. The Mentor is a technical marvel which will reproduce what your DAC can give it. The MJ3 has a definite house sound, and it’s a closer beast to my previous MHA200 than it is the Mentor. For me the MJ3 has a sense of life that the Mentor, while wider and deeper, instead has a forensic quality. I appreciate the Mentor, but I prefer the MJ3 as a daily amp. In a crude sense, science vs art. I do wonder whether other headphones will change these conclusions, I am unsure, but the plan is to give it a bit longer and consider selling the Mentor.

May 8, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #893 of 1,039
So I’ve been A/Bing the MJ3 and the Mentor and I thought I’d drop in some thoughts. I make no pretence to being able to properly review equipment, this is all my opinions and reactions. I won’t be saying anything anyone else hasn’t said. My interest is I generally prefer class A, and these are both similarly price, highly reviewed units that really go all out.

The soundstage on the Mentor is incredible. So wide, so much separation between instruments, just the biggest I’ve heard. The MJ3s soundstage is good, but not this good. However, I do find vocals on the Mentor are further away than I’d like, and the MJ3 puts things closer and where I like them.

The Mentor’s detail is precise, clear and crisp. Neutral and excellent. At no point unpleasant. The MJ3 has detail, but there’s a definite house sound. Same with timbre and tone. The Mentor is clean, but the MJ3 has a richness that attracting and comfortable.

I feel these are both really good amps, and it’s down entirely to what you want from them. The Mentor is a technical marvel which will reproduce what your DAC can give it. The MJ3 has a definite house sound, and it’s a closer beast to my previous MHA200 than it is the Mentor. For me the MJ3 has a sense of life that the Mentor, while wider and deeper, instead has a forensic quality. I appreciate the Mentor, but I prefer the MJ3 as a daily amp. In a crude sense, science vs art. I do wonder whether other headphones will change these conclusions, I am unsure, but the plan is to give it a bit longer and consider selling the Mentor.
Gear synergy is a real thing. Susvara, HEK, Tungsten, and likely the TC 1266 will do really well on Mentor but won’t do as well on MJ3. Conversely my Grados and your Meze do better on MJ3.

May 8, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #894 of 1,039

I feel these are both really good amps, and its down entirely to what you want from them. The Mentor is a technical marvel which will reproduce what your DAC can give it. The MJ3 has a definite house sound, and it’s a closer beast to my previous MHA200 than it is the Mentor. For me the MJ3 has a sense of life that the Mentor, while wider and deeper, instead has a forensic quality. I appreciate the Mentor, but I prefer the MJ3 as a daily amp. In a crude sense, science vs art. I do wonder whether other headphones will change these conclusions, I am unsure, but the plan is to give it a bit longer and consider selling the Mentor.
Another great write up…i get the sense that the mentor is the amp that would raise more eyebrows due to its technical capability. However, like you stated above, the MJ3 has this life to its sound that’s hard to describe but you understand it completely when you listen to it. I imagine the mentor being the eyebrow raiser and the MJ being the jaw dropper lol Certain vocals make say to myself “no way” lol thanks for the comparison my friend. Very nice.

May 8, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #895 of 1,039
Gear synergy is a real thing. Susvara, HEK, Tungsten, and likely the TC 1266 will do really well on Mentor but won’t do as well on MJ3. Conversely my Grados and your Meze do better on MJ3.
Yea on top of its technicalities, flux has also outdone themselves with all of that power as well.

May 8, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #897 of 1,039
May 8, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #898 of 1,039
The Mentor is for thos hard to drive planars. If you dont have those than MJ3 is much more viable. But it just can't fully handle Tungsten SS or DS or Susvara or 1266, even HeKs. If you dont have and never intend to have those cans the MJ3 is fantastic.

May 8, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #899 of 1,039
What is the box next to the ADI-2? Is it a linear power supply for it and if so, did it make an audible difference?
Yes, linear power supply, but for my MZ3 amp.

hAt7xeO.jpeg

May 8, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #900 of 1,039
Before getting the Mentor I really wanted to give the Violectric V281 reissue a shot. It's powerful and have that tube like warmth with bass slam. I know it pairs well with Meze and Focal but not sure if it was worth $1200 more than the Mentor (after shipping and paypal fees).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back