Focal Arche: Anyone compared to other options in its price range?
Sep 16, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #346 of 362
I recently got my hands on one of these for a steal.

I use it only for a PC setup so the USB issues are non-existent for me.

This is the best DAC and AMP I have ever heard, hands down. Its somehow extremely detailed while sounding rich and not bright or sterile.
It must be the AKM chip with the Class A amp? but whatever focal has done here sounds incredible to my ears, it is a shame they stopped support so early and discontinued it.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #348 of 362
I just got an Arche — and it truly brings out the best from my Utopias.
I actually felt it had better synergy with the Utopia than the Chord Dave and especially the Chord Hugo 2. Over time I did realize the Focal Arche is missing a lot of the texture of the Dave but it’s a well balanced, clean, fun sounding amp for the Utopia. I still have mine and pairs well with the Caldera too. Overall I prefer the Naim HE since it’s more textured and has a fuller sound. But it’s a big price difference and also includes a streamer, so not exactly a fair comparison.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #349 of 362
This is next level for other headphones as well, not just for focal products.
Was running DT880's from my Chord Mojo.....I could tell something was off with them
Plugged them into this, its like a completley different headphone....I haven't heard them sound like this before.

I'm wondering what the HD600's are like with this AMP....to me the AMP stage on this is the star of the show.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #352 of 362
You haven't had it long! lol

I'm going to go out on a limb and say unless you are powering the Susvara, you wont hear a difference.
Powering Utopia '22 😉
And, in my experience, the Utopias are an extremely transparent headphone — the DAC + AMP makes a huge difference for them.

Mar 26, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #353 of 362
Hoping to get an answer here.

Does anyone use the pre-sets for their focal cans?
I have the clear and cannot decide whether to use Voltage, Hybrid or Clear, not much info on the internet either.

I've just got it set on voltage as it seems the correct setting for non-focal cans too

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #354 of 362
Hoping to get an answer here.

Does anyone use the pre-sets for their focal cans?
I have the clear and cannot decide whether to use Voltage, Hybrid or Clear, not much info on the internet either.

I've just got it set on voltage as it seems the correct setting for non-focal cans too
Personally I find that Voltage or Hybrid sounds best to me when using my Clears or Elegia.
I don't get a ton of time to listen ro music and Voltage/Hybrid seem to bring more energy and fun but if I was going to spend a few hours the presets might be a good choice as they seem a bit more balanced.

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #355 of 362
Thanks for your reply.

I too found hybrid to be the most musical with my Clears, wasn't sure if my ears were deceiving me.

Mar 26, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #356 of 362
One thing to note (maybe I am wrong but it was my perception) is that changing modes while music is playing had no effect. I had to pause and play the music in order to hear a difference when changing modes.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #357 of 362
One thing to note (maybe I am wrong but it was my perception) is that changing modes while music is playing had no effect. I had to pause and play the music in order to hear a difference when changing modes.
Which mode did you settle on?
I'm thinking hybrid for everything.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #358 of 362

Perhaps it wasn't very evident on the cans you were using? For me it applies instantly and I can tell the difference between each preset quite easily.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #359 of 362
Perhaps it wasn't very evident on the cans you were using? For me it applies instantly and I can tell the difference between each preset quite easily.
I was using Utopia '22. Maybe it was just my source (MacBook Pro @ 384kHz) or maybe it was just me lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back