Geshelli j2
Mar 19, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #166 of 169
Last year... When I put the V6V in my AUNE X8 XVIII, I did notice this massive soundstage improvement. I also noticed the metallic edge in my upper mids though.. But... The real problem for me was a different piece of gear that was summing my L&R and creating a crosstalk that started a convoluted chain of troubleshooting that did not address the issue before I removed the V6V and put in an SS2590. So I never revisited the Burson. Ready to sell in fact.

V7V's are out...

Once Lachlan at P4S chimed in on the V7V easily besting the SS3602 and also solving all the previous issues, it was a no brainer. Pick them up. Give them a go... I really need both balanced and SE installed because I feed SE direct to the Archel and the balanced to my Preamp. Thus buying two sets of dual... I am. Waiting on the second set because I am not opening the J2 twice.

Patience... I could drop em in now... Yeah, I should.. 😅
Might do. The SS2590 was on another level above the SS3602. It was an radical expansive difference for me.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #167 of 169
Cross-post from the other J2S thread:

Comparing op-amps is difficult, since I really can't A-B test them, what with the time and hassle of swapping them out. So going by my memory and gut feel for the sound, after a few days of burn-in, I can say that I do prefer the sound of the J2S with the SS2590 (single-ended only) more than either the SS3602 or Burson V6V. There is a clarity and layering of sound that I did not find with either of the other two. The V6V had a wider and more expansive soundstage than the SS3602, but was a little woolly sounding in comparison. The SS2590 has that same spacious sound, but adds more clarity at both ends of the spectrum. Treble is more precise and bass is impactful and detailed.

It was kind of a pain in the ass, since I broke part of it trying to make it fit. But now that it's in there, the sound is well worth the effort. It even has me reconsidering my plan to try out a decent R2R dac, since I am happy with what I'm hearing. Knowing me, though, I'll keep wondering, "sure, but could it get even better?" Let's see how long I go until I get the itch :o2smile:

Apr 16, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #168 of 169
Burson V7 Vivids showed up today. I just dropped them into my J2S, swapping out the XLR Sparkos SS3602. I realize there's going to be some break-in, but my first impression is positive. There seems to be more detail, and a slightly bigger stage. Basically, things sound real good. I continue to be generally impressed by the J2S + E2 combo.

The swap was utterly painless, and there's more than enough vertical clearance with the standard (i.e. not the taller Archel version) wood case, even with the "socket saver" attached. I scooted one of the SS3602's over to the RCA side, but I don't (yet) have anything hooked up to it. I'll probably end up getting an SS2590 for the RCA side at some point.

tl;dr Burson V7 Vivids work well in the Geshelli J2S. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back