Good headphones for electronic (IDM) music
Jul 10, 2019 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

wizzman121

100+ Head-Fier
I looked around and couldn't find any recent threads on this topic. I listen to a very broad spectrum of music but I would say about half of what I listen to is mix of various genres of electronic music (Aphex Twin, Amon Tobin, Jon Hopkins, Tipper, Bogtrotter, Yosi Horikawa, Brian Eno, Loscil, BT, The Field, Four Tet, Oneohtrix Point Never, Blondes, Carbon Based Lifeforms to name a bunch.) I love my 6XX for jazz, classic rock, alternative and live music. My M1060s seem to be best middle ground for all genres but they are still missing that slight extension in the sub bass. I have had the Argons but they just weren't for me. I guess I value precision and tighter bass than just more bass.

So let's hear some suggestions. What do you recommend for this genre of music?

Here are the headphones I already own in the order I would put them for EDM music:

Monolith M1060
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
VModa M100
Sennheiser 6XX

I run a balanced setup with an SMSL SU-8 into a Schiit Jotunheim which I love!

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 17
Audeze Sine and TH-X00 Purplehearts were great for trance. I liked both of them significantly more than the Hifiman HE400 or V Moda M100. I put the V Moda M100 over the Sennheiser HD 25, which is the baseline for me.

I'm also wondering if there is a new headphone out that has wowed people. I'm reading around and it seems like it's the same headphones from a few years ago. Which is fine, I just don't want to miss out on new headphones lol.

this is a good thread : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-headphones-for-electronic-music.859478/

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 17
I looked around and couldn't find any recent threads on this topic. I listen to a very broad spectrum of music but I would say about half of what I listen to is mix of various genres of electronic music (Aphex Twin, Amon Tobin, Jon Hopkins, Tipper, Bogtrotter, Yosi Horikawa, Brian Eno, Loscil, BT, The Field, Four Tet, Oneohtrix Point Never, Blondes, Carbon Based Lifeforms to name a bunch.) I love my 6XX for jazz, classic rock, alternative and live music. My M1060s seem to be best middle ground for all genres but they are still missing that slight extension in the sub bass. I have had the Argons but they just weren't for me. I guess I value precision and tighter bass than just more bass.

So let's hear some suggestions. What do you recommend for this genre of music?

Here are the headphones I already own in the order I would put them for EDM music:

Monolith M1060
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
VModa M100
Sennheiser 6XX

I run a balanced setup with an SMSL SU-8 into a Schiit Jotunheim which I love!
Go for the Audeze LCD2 Classic. Best under $1000 and I love most of your artists. Kills the X00 or Sine.

Jul 10, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 17
@wizzman121 If the Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature is within your budget, I recommend it. I've been listening to some electronic music with it the last few hours and it's sound signature seems to be really well suited for that genre, and also it's unique sound stage. Some other headphones I can recommend that I no longer own but rated highly would be the Fostex TH-X00 Purple Heart and the Ultrasone PRO900. The P9 Signature is really a league above the TH-X00 Purple Heart and PRO900 in all areas of sound quality, but the latter two still do very well with electronic music. The TH-X00 Purple Heart has LOTS of bass! it's a basshead headphone, which is obviously a good thing if you listen to EDM, but you may not like it for other genre's. The PRO900 has a more balanced sound signature compared to the TH-X00 Purpleheart but more energetic. Those would be my recommendations.

Jul 10, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 17
Don't know what your budget is, but I enjoy the DT 1990 with electronic, even though I don't listen to much. I find it to be pretty neutral, but it's got pretty great bass extension. That coupled with its *ahem* somewhat emphasized treble makes it a very dynamic and engaging headphone. It's way more fun for electronic than the HD 650/6XX.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 17
Big vote for the LCD 2 classic.

Jul 10, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 17
Go for the Audeze LCD2 Classic. Best under $1000 and I love most of your artists. Kills the X00 or Sine.

I can see that. Aren’t they twice the price of the Sine or X00? Ever since I tried the Sine, I’ve wanted to try Audeze’s higher end stuff

Has anyone tested the HD700 or Campfire Cascade with electronic music?

Jul 10, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 17
I have the V-moda M-100 and Hifiman HE-400 and both are very good for EDM. I do some EQ on the m-100 to bring out the mids and leave the EQ flat for HE-400, both sound amazing.

Jul 11, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 17
Depends on your budget really. I listen to a lot of the same stuff and much prefer detail and precision than a great big thump. Personally I’ve always prefered AKGs to Sennies when it comes to edm. Unlike the Sennies of old you actually get incredible subbass abilities...though not as high in the mix as many prefer. The Q701 is a brilliant can for electronic imho.
The newer Sennies, 58X and 660, are much cleaner down below and as a consequence also works a treat with edm.
Good luck:)

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 17
i have the momentum and m100s as well. i'd suggest trying out the AKG K167 model. not saying they're better or anything, but worth a try since they're around $50 nowadays. they have sub bass with some precision, plus mids and highs that would be good for the artists you mentioned.

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #12 of 17
I listen to probably >80% electronic and OSTs. If you can stretch your budget: TH-900 with Sonarworks custom EQ. The TH-900 by itself may be enough, but it may be too bright for you (as it is for many people including myself) which is where EQ comes in. Cleaner bass than other TH models and it has bass slam and rumble like nothing else. No planar is going to give you this kind of slam and rumble: planars can have excellent bass linearity and extension but they can't manifest the slam and rumble of dynamics...they're different on a qualititative level IMO.

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #13 of 17
Thanks for all the insight so far. I did some extensive demoing of both the LCD-2C and the LCD-X which was a really interesting process. To be clear I was never chasing a headphone with the most slam and brain-shaking bass. I just wanted a headphone with clear, tight bass that didn't compromise the rest of the sound. I actually think my Momentum 2.0s came the closest to this but they feel so confined compared to my 6XX and M1060s.

So I did quite a bit of research on the two Audeze headphones above and tried both. It was a really interesting process as the general consensus of the reviews was what I experienced with the two headphones for the most part. The 2Cs were just so smooth and enjoyable. Really impressive bass without being overpowering. I was really impressed and surprised with the vocals on the 2C as well. I didn't notice the small details that were missing until I put on the Xs. What an amazing headphone. You really do hear everything top to bottom with these. While there was just a smidge less bass, it was a tighter and more controlled bass than the 2Cs. My first reaction was that these were the ones. After more extensive demoing however I discovered that there was a noticeable peak in the upper mid range. Many vocals and electronic sounds in this range really pierced my ears. I do know that I have some sensitivity in my hearing in certain areas and suspect this may be result of what experienced more than a flaw in the headphones. There were times I enjoyed the X so much more but then certain songs would just be so uncomfortable for me. Once i started listening less analytically and more casually I just found myself gravitating toward the 2C's smoother sound. I am a true believer in the "brain burn" concept. You really do adapt to a sound signature after awhile. While the 2C is certainly not a reference headphone it is just so damn enjoyable. I am keeping the 2Cs as it is a headphone I could listen to all day.

Sep 3, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 17
Pity this thread isn't more attended , IDM is the best music in the world, IMHO, to make a headphone come alive and for a headphone to make the music too.. I'm using iems Sennheiser IE600 and my IDM library sounds crisp, airy, sparkly, separated, and EQd to make it more so it is quite beautiful. Bass , sub bass, etc, put to where I want it. Arovane just now.

Sep 3, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #15 of 17
Most of my music is EDM and pop and so I have built my collection around it. Would not recommend the TH900 as mentioned above, too bright and bass isn't as good as people claim. Some people like them but I don't understand it.

I would say try Ultrasone IMO or old school Hifiman. HE-500 is very satisfying for EDM - excellent bass power and punch and brilliant big planar sound. HE6SE is also excellent provided you pair it with a slightly warmer amp. Ultrasone has been my favorite stock house tuning for EDM. They have a great punchy low end with good impact and a crisp and sparkly treble without being too bright. They image really well too - I'm not sure if the S-logic just works really well for me but they have excellent imaging compared with other closed backs I've tried.

The Hifiman's planars do it all. They have excellent extension and so you get the whole bass pressure when it engages - extended way down. Big open soundstage, balanced with rich mids and brilliant treble and air. Those planars on a solid desktop amp ended this hobby for me, nothing else I have tried measures up.

The thing with EDM - you want bass but it isn't everything. Great separation, great impact, fast transients, great imaging, energetic sparkle - it's not just about bass and if there is too much of it, messes with the rest of the spectrum and keeping everything clean and crisp with all the detail you want to hear.

***EDIT - Wow this was a 2019 thread, lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back