Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
May 11, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,411 of 2,153

Bump. Trying to find out what short cables I should buy to use at work and also whether or not I need a Wyrd. Thanks guys in advance!

the cables that ship with the m9xx already have ferrite beads on them.

May 11, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #1,412 of 2,153
  So in the standoff M9XX vs Chord Mojo, which device emerges the winner, if sq is the main decider?  I love my M9XX, but I hear a lot on these forums about the sq of the Mojo, and I have been wondering whether I should also go "Mojo" or not, although I already have more portable AMP/DACs than I reasonably need (eg. GO1000, GO V2+ incoming, and Emotiva Big Ego).  Unless the Mojo seriously outshines all of these, it will be too much of a shelling out of $$$ to make sense on my budget...

Any thoughts?

I had the m9xx and mojo head to head for about 3 weeks.  I thought they sounded very nearly identical, and for me it would come down to which form factor I liked better and if you need crossfeed.  For me crossfeed and the form factor pulled the m9XX ahead of the Mojo, but I could definitely see somebody who needed battery powered preferring the Mojo.

May 11, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #1,414 of 2,153

I had the m9xx and mojo head to head for about 3 weeks.  I thought they sounded very nearly identical, and for me it would come down to which form factor I liked better and if you need crossfeed.  For me crossfeed and the form factor pulled the m9XX ahead of the Mojo, but I could definitely see somebody who needed battery powered preferring the Mojo.

I agree, I think the m9XX and Mojo are pretty close in sound.  I like the m9XX better as well compared to the Mojo, but what's great is that even though the m9XX doesn't have a battery, you can plug in an external battery charger and be completely good to go.  Something extra to attach to, of course, but will give you hours and hours of battery life, especially if you attach the m9XX to something that has anything over 20,000 mAh (like the Anker PowerCore 20100mAh) as it will give you a lot of battery life.
beerchug.gif

May 13, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #1,418 of 2,153
I ordered a toslink to spdif cable. Should be here in a week. My guess is this configuration will require an external battery since there's no low power toslink mode.

https://www.startech.com/ca/m/Cables/Audio-Video/Toslink/6-ft-Toslink-to-Mini-Digital-Optical-SPDIF-Audio-Cable~THINTOSMIN6

May 13, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #1,419 of 2,153
  How do I hook up a Fiio X3 digital out to the M9XX?

X3 has a digital out coax. Is it possible?

I was kicking myself for not having the foresight of getting a DAP with an optical output, which seems almost more common than COAX.

There is no optical output on the first generation FiiO X3, thus you cannot connect digital into optical input on the m9XX.

May 13, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #1,421 of 2,153
  Plenty of options out there for coax -> optical converters.

The primary idea for my use of the DAP is to hear setups at meets. So having to plug into power at each station is not as convenient as having something completely portable. I am searching now, but have not found a battery-powered converter. Do you have a shortcut/link to one with a battery?

I do however see many options for what you described. Thanks!

May 15, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #1,424 of 2,153
Scrolling thru menu options, i see this

After U2(or U1) for a half second, display shows F5.

What is F5?

It's actually FS, indicating the sample rate follows:

SAMPLE RATE DISPLAY Displays the incoming audio stream sample rate. ‘FS’ will be displayed for
briefly
and change to indicate the incoming sample rate.
= 44.1 kHz
= 48 kHz
= 88.2 kHz
= 96 kHz
Because the m9XX's display is only 2 characters, the higher sample rates are abbreviated as:
17 (176kHz)
19 (192kHz)
35 (354kHz)
38 (384kHz)
DSD rates are shown as:
d1 (DSD64)
d2 (DSD128)
Page 13 of manual

May 15, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,425 of 2,153
It's actually FS, indicating the sample rate follows:

SAMPLE RATE DISPLAY Displays the incoming audio stream sample rate. ‘FS’ will be displayed for

briefly
and change to indicate the incoming sample rate.

= 44.1 kHz

= 48 kHz

= 88.2 kHz

= 96 kHz

Because the m9XX's display is only 2 characters, the higher sample rates are abbreviated as:

17 (176kHz)

19 (192kHz)

35 (354kHz)

38 (384kHz)

DSD rates are shown as:

d1 (DSD64)

d2 (DSD128)

Page 13 of manual

Thanks. I knew about the bitrate part but not FS. Shud hve read the manual

Any guesses on what FS stands for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back