Grado Fan Club!
Apr 22, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #65,506 of 65,623
I use the rs2x with the ifi hip dac mk1 and it's a good match for me, I have never listened a chord dac so I m curious about its sound. I can buy an old mojo mk1 from 2017 for about 150€, still worth? I ve read conflicting opinions

Mojo1 still worth it. Chord DACs usually have a detailed more neutral sound. The Mojo1 is a hair on the warmer side compared to Mojo2. Worst case scenario is the Mojo1 needs a battery. There's a pretty solid thread on HeadFi that will give you the part number and how to guide.

I use my Mojo2/Poly with the RS2X. It's a crazy good combo.

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #65,507 of 65,623
Ok, so my RS-1 button’s driver is dead. The voice coil has detached from the diaphragm. I have two options: switch both drivers to new x-series drivers or look for a 1st gen driver to install in place of the dead driver. What do you think? Does anyone have experience with old RS-1 with new drivers?
For vintage RS1 they might install RS2x drivers and cable, then I imagine your RS1 will sound mostly like an RS2x. Good luck! Please share pics of drivers after repair to see what they actually give you as the last couple of us accidentally received lower tier parts replacements... Please tag me when you post because I dont follow the thread consistently.

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #65,508 of 65,623
Ok, so my RS-1 button’s driver is dead. The voice coil has detached from the diaphragm. I have two options: switch both drivers to new x-series drivers or look for a 1st gen driver to install in place of the dead driver. What do you think? Does anyone have experience with old RS-1 with new drivers?
I gather you checked for any wiring or loose connection issues.

Oops, just noticed the detached diaphragm.

If you haven’t reached out to Grado I suggest doing so and see what they suggest. Good luck, excellent phone. Maybe you can find someone in the same situation and doesn’t want to fix, might have one good original driver. Post a want ad just in case.

Good luck

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #65,509 of 65,623
For vintage RS1 they might install RS2x drivers and cable, then I imagine your RS1 will sound mostly like an RS2x. Good luck! Please share pics of drivers after repair to see what they actually give you as the last couple of us accidentally received lower tier parts replacements... Please tag me when you post because I dont follow the thread consistently.
I won’t be sending them to Grado for repair. I’m from Europe, so it’s too expensive shipping both ways plus taxes plus a cost of repair. They can be fixed by a local independent service. The cable won’t be replaced, just both drivers. I’ll let you know if I decide what to do.
Maybe you can find someone in the same situation and doesn’t want to fix, might have one good original driver. Post a want ad just in case.

Good luck
That might be a great idea! Thanks!

Apr 22, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #65,510 of 65,623
I won’t be sending them to Grado for repair. I’m from Europe, so it’s too expensive shipping both ways plus taxes plus a cost of repair. They can be fixed by a local independent service. The cable won’t be replaced, just both drivers. I’ll let you know if I decide what to do.

Really sorry to hear of your bad luck @AeroX
Just recently I've seen a repaired RS-1 button pop up on a German second hand platform, which received RS2x drivers. Not bad I'm sure, but not the original sound. So starting to look for another pair with one defective driver might be the best option, just as @ESL-1 suggested.

Otherwise the German distributor does repairs with original parts as far as I know, so if you want to go the RS2x driver route that might be an option.

Apr 22, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #65,511 of 65,623

I like to call my RS-1 buttons with RS-2 X drivers installed, my RS-1.5X buttons. 🤔😎. They are an excellent sounding hp that will not be leaving my possession any time in the future. Please allow a minimum of 35 hrs burn-in for them to shine. IMO. I don't think you could find a bigger bang for the buck (the cost of repairs).

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #65,512 of 65,623
I guess i'd just get another RS1 button from Ebay. They often go for 400 Euros. Dunno if i wanted new drivers in the old housings, how much would that cost? And getting another driver from Ebay is no real solution either as they're not matched then.

Apr 22, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #65,513 of 65,623
I use the rs2x with the ifi hip dac mk1 and it's a good match for me, I have never listened a chord dac so I m curious about its sound. I can buy an old mojo mk1 from 2017 for about 150€, still worth? I ve read conflicting opinions
The Chord Mojos are outstanding and work very well with Grado heaphones. Downside of the Mojo 1 is that you don't have any EQ so it's best for bass heavier Grados. The GH2 works very well with it.

In my humble opinion.

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #65,515 of 65,623
Qobuz via Roon (EQ'd) > Lyr 3 (RCA Gray Glass) > RS2X is my daily driver while working from home.
Grado RS2X Lyr a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back