Gustard A18
Oct 20, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #17 of 82
It will be available soon but I don't have a date.
Is MQA and Optical the only real update to the DAC? Or is there more then that?

Oct 21, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #18 of 82
Is MQA and Optical the only real update to the DAC? Or is there more then that?
That is everything as far as I know. I asked the manufacturer about the power button on the remote and he said it wasn't possible to do it (but he didn't explain why).

Nov 2, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #19 of 82
Hey folks, any idea if the sample rate can be adjusted for the bluetooth input ? I'm hooked up with an iPhone Pro 11. My A18 in BT IN always shows 44.1khz no matter what I throw at it. I can't find anywhere nor on the phone nor on the A18 if I can adjust the sample rate for the bluetooth connection. Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #20 of 82
Hey folks, any idea if the sample rate can be adjusted for the bluetooth input ? I'm hooked up with an iPhone Pro 11. My A18 in BT IN always shows 44.1khz no matter what I throw at it. I can't find anywhere nor on the phone nor on the A18 if I can adjust the sample rate for the bluetooth connection. Thanks.
iPhone Bluetooth is limited to 44.1kHz because of AAC. If you want higher you will need a DAP, Android phone or Bluetooth transmitter connected to a pc/laptop.

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #21 of 82
iPhone Bluetooth is limited to 44.1kHz because of AAC. If you want higher you will need a DAP, Android phone or Bluetooth transmitter connected to a pc/laptop.

It seems that recent iPhones are 48khz and when I connect to my other DAC (SMSL M300MKII) it displays 48khz through bluetooh.

Nov 3, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #22 of 82
It seems that recent iPhones are 48khz and when I connect to my other DAC (SMSL M300MKII) it displays 48khz through bluetooh.
Ah, I didn't know that, thanks for the info. SMSL make some great stuff too. I'd love to check out some of their higher-end DACs.

Out of curiosity, I just connected my iPhone (11) to the A18 and my Topping DX7 Pro and got 44.1kHz on both. When I connect my Sony NW ZX-300 to the A18, it shows 96kHz (LDAC) so it's definitely not a limitation of the Gustard.

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #23 of 82
Does the A18 have an output selector between RCA and XLR? Say I want to connect two amps to it, one over RCA and the other over XLR. Is there an option that allows me to pick which of those two options I want to sent a signal over?

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #24 of 82
Does the A18 have an output selector between RCA and XLR? Say I want to connect two amps to it, one over RCA and the other over XLR. Is there an option that allows me to pick which of those two options I want to sent a signal over?
There is no way to select which output to use. Both are active at the same time.

I got the 2nd Edition A18 from Apos back in November, shipped directly from Shenzhen. I guess it was one of the last units before they suspended production due to lack of AKM chips.

I see that ShenzhenAudio and Apos now list it for $649, up from $559, presumably due to the short supply. But at least it's listed again: It was completely gone from the ShenzhenAudio site for some time. They now list the new specs of the 2nd Edition, including (of course) MQA and Toslink, but also the fact that it uses XMOS XU216 chip instead of XU208.

https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...ed-dac-lme49860-6-decoder-with-remote-control

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #25 of 82
I've just ordered the A18 from Shenzhen Audio directly. I'm hoping it will be the MQA version as the spec listed show MQA and Toslink. However the product images on their site are still showing the original version. I did check over chat with them that they will send the latest version.

It's to replace my venerable Topping D50 in my desktop system. The D50 has served me so well for a good couple of years and was astounding value for money, but I wanted MQA decoding. I already have a Topping D90 in my headphones system but couldn't stretch to another one for my desktop system. At least I'll get the incredible AK4499 sound with the A18 so some likeness to the D90.

I've read about some of the shortcomings - for example, no auto-sleep, auto-start functions, no way to turn off one or the other of RCA/XLR outputs (they output simulataneously I believe). It's a bit of a shame about the lack of auto-power settings as I do like to be as 'green' as I can be in terms of not wasting energy.

It'll be plugged into my iMac via USB. I intend to use Audirvana and the TIDAL app for music playing. Has anyone tested MQA out on the A18 in full decoder mode (i.e. with MQA passthrough on the desktop app)? If so, any glitches or is everything good with full MQA unfolding?

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #26 of 82
no way to turn off one or the other of RCA/XLR outputs
That's honestly what's stopping me from getting the A18 in the future. I think I'll got for D70s+A90.

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #28 of 82
Has anyone tested MQA out on the A18 in full decoder mode (i.e. with MQA passthrough on the desktop app)? If so, any glitches or is everything good with full MQA unfolding?

It works perfectly, both with passthrough (as full decoder) and with software doing 1st unfold. I believe it's all handled by the XMOS XU216. Possibly Guststard didn't even have to add any logic of their own except for the display.

According to postings by Gustard in the ASR X16 thread the A18 is currently waiting for MQA certification, so it might take a little while before they are allowed to ship it. We have to assume that any MQA units delivered last fall were before they realized they needed MQA certification. Maybe they thought that XMOS had taken care of it :rolling_eyes:

I absolutely love the sound from this DAC through XLR to a Bryston power amp driving PMC speakers.

Sure, a standby from the remote would be great. I just turn it off along with the power amp.

The small display, showing volume in the tiniest of fonts, is my only real gripe, since it requires me to walk over to the DAC anytime I want to change input or volume. For those who rarely change input and who adjust volume on a preamp or headphone amp, this DAC is all upside!

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #29 of 82
It works perfectly, both with passthrough (as full decoder) and with software doing 1st unfold. I believe it's all handled by the XMOS XU216. Possibly Guststard didn't even have to add any logic of their own except for the display.

According to postings by Gustard in the ASR X16 thread the A18 is currently waiting for MQA certification, so it might take a little while before they are allowed to ship it. We have to assume that any MQA units delivered last fall were before they realized they needed MQA certification. Maybe they thought that XMOS had taken care of it :rolling_eyes:

I absolutely love the sound from this DAC through XLR to a Bryston power amp driving PMC speakers.

Sure, a standby from the remote would be great. I just turn it off along with the power amp.

The small display, showing volume in the tiniest of fonts, is my only real gripe, since it requires me to talk over to the DAC anytime I want to change input or volume. For those who rarely change input and who adjust volume on a preamp or headphone amp, this DAC is all upside!

In the chat on the Schenzhen site earlier today they told me that they are shipping the MQA version on the A18. Would certification change anything in terms of MQA functionality, or is it just a licensing thing (commercial)?

On the auto-power thing, my current Topping D50 powers up and powers down with my computer so I literally haven't had to touch the D50 for a couple of years. I'll check out the power consumption on the A18 to see if it uses a significant amount of electricity.

Jan 30, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #30 of 82
In the chat on the Schenzhen site earlier today they told me that they are shipping the MQA version on the A18. Would certification change anything in terms of MQA functionality, or is it just a licensing thing (commercial)?

On the auto-power thing, my current Topping D50 powers up and powers down with my computer so I literally haven't had to touch the D50 for a couple of years. I'll check out the power consumption on the A18 to see if it uses a significant amount of electricity.
Cool (that they're shipping). I was merely speculating since X16 was held up pending MQA certification. Either way I wouldn't expect certification to impact the product. It's just their seal of approval.

That auto-power on feature of the Topping sounds very convenient. Gustard almost goes out of their way to emphasize sound quality over convenience -- even where there shouldn't be a conflict between the two. And A18 really does sound great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back