Gustard A18
Feb 15, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #61 of 82
@Taz777

Thank you for continuing to share your experiences with the A18. You're sure putting that DAC through its paces. That's excellent!

About the DSD limitation you found with Audirvana, that makes sense. I saw PCM and DSD limitations too when testing Volumio on RPi, but none of them relevant to real-world usage. Anything above PCM 192 KHz or DSD256 really is just for testing, not practical delivery formats for music. Even among those those want to upsample in software I've seen comments that DSD512 actually hurt more than it helped -- in addition to using obscene amounts of CPU (if upsampling on the fly) or disk space (if stored).

I was glad to see that you found I2S on the A18 to be pin compatible with your Cayin N6ii, as I understand it isn't standardized and can otherwise require custom cables.

But I am VERY surprised that you are hearing differences between USB and I2S on the same DAC, since both are feeding a digital stream to the same DAC chip and playing through the same output stage. The explanations I can think of are:

1) Difference in jitter from the different input circuitry and/or phase shift caused by I2S using an embedded clock signal from the source. Amir on ASR measured I2S on a Gustard X26 two years ago, to dispel the myth that I2S was inherently superior. He found significant phase shift in one of the channels on I2S. It could be just the units he tested or whatever, but it's definitely not a good thing, even if it isn't audible. (Let's not get into the war between extremists of ASR and head-fi. That's not my point here. I believe in both.)

2) Difference in the digital source: If one (say USB) is bit-perfect (being upsampled by the DAC chip) and the other (say I2S) is being upsampled by the source (in this case by the Cayin) then that could definitely cause a difference, as they are likely using different upsampling algorithms. I would be interested if you can still hear a difference if both inputs are fed 16/44.

3) Different MQA processing: I am surprised if the Cayin can do a full unfold of MQA and pass it digitally to the Gustard. I would have thought it could only perform a first unfold and pass 88.2/96KHz when working as a decoder. If so, the I2S feed would only have a partial unfold by the Cayin and no MQA filter applied. (The A18 can only process MQA through USB, as you know). Some people will argue that the less MQA the better, but that's besides the points for this discussion, as there could (or rather: should) be a difference between USB and I2S caused by this when playing MQA. Even if the Cayin can perform a full unfold (say to 352.8KHz as shown on your display) there still would be no MQA filter used by the Gustard when fed through I2S.

As for the difference between Topping D90 and Gustard A18, I much appreciate your posting about this.

I am skeptical that D90's XU208 vs A18's XU216 would make an audible difference, since (again) it's a digital signal, which presumably arrives intact into the same AK4499 in both DACs. But I guess slight differences in jitter are possible.

The output stages are far more likely to cause a difference. AK4499 outputs an insane amount of current (arguably too much) which has to be tamed and converted into voltage (I/V) in the output stage. Not a trivial task. D90 gets it down to 4Vrms (and provides an XLR/RCA switch) whereas A18 lets through a full 6.3Vrms (and no switch). And still, D90 has better THD+N, which makes me think Topping simply spent a bit more on their output stage.

But that's all speculation. I am no electronics expert anyway :ksc75smile:

Edit: OTOH, Topping was the first vendor to focus squarely on measurements, essentially using ASR as primary channel to promote their gear. And they have been rewarded with valuable recommendations from Amir of their affordable, yet well measuring products. Conversely, I remember seeing quotes from Gustard (sorry, I forget where) that they make some design choices to prioritize sonic (audible) performance even at the expense of measurements. So it sounds like Gustard are embracing the ASR culture more reluctantly, whereas Topping are all in. Again, I fully understand those who would say that there can be no conflict, because measurements reflect everything we can hear. I don't mean to stir up that debate here, merely point out that the focus on measurements affects design choices of manufacturers in different ways.

Edit2: Oh, what I am thinking: Starting with X16 Gustard IS all in with the measurement culture, providing some of the best measurements of all DACs. Even more so on their newly announced X26 Pro. And it's working, X16s are flying off the shelves. I really wish somebody would post listening comparisons of X16 vs A18. I asked one member at ASR who owns both, but it's not the right place for such a question.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #62 of 82
@Dannemand Yes, it's interesting to see how we hear things. My audio chain is slightly different for both tests. The Cayin N6ii is doing something odd as it shows the maximum unfolded sample rate on every MQA track. Could it be that two filters are applied? The MQA one within the N6ii and then whatever is selected in the A18? The A18 is reading a PCM datastream and it does show the fully unfolded/oversampled rate so no MQA information would be present at that point.

With respect to USB vs I2S, as I understand things, I2S eliminates all of the USB Audio interface on the receiving device. USB Audio is a bit of an afterthought in USB comms and I don't believe that USB itself was ever designed to carry audio, where timing is critical. I2S appears to talk 'directly' to the receiving device's DAC chip (AK4499) so is (supposed to be) inherently better for digital audio transmission.

There's also the entire audio chain that comes into play with variations in output levels, impedances and capacitances that would contribute to slightly different analogue audio perceived by the listener.

And you're right, the X16 is indeed getting all the limelight and it would be interesting to see a comparison between it and the A18. Either way, I'm sure both are just perfect for the overwhelming majority of listeners.

Feb 20, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #63 of 82
They are very adamant that you should never use that volume adjustment, but instead play everything at 0dB through a preamp or headphone amp (preferably a Gustard, of course). Of course they are right that the DAC performs better at max volume (or rather at -3dB according to ASR measurements). But unless you have an excellent passive preamp, I still think you'll get better sound quality going directly from A18 to a power amp -- as long as you can keep the A18 volume adjustment to a minimum, say no more than -10db.

Gustard pointed out in the X16 thread on ASR that there is no preamp/attenuation in the output stage. I imagine it is true for A18 as well. Volume adjustment is performed entirely in the DAC chip. Digitally of course, hence their recommendation to avoid it. OTOH I prefer that to an added digital preamp/attenuation stage which in DACs is usually of mediocre quality.

But A18 outputs a very hot 6.3Vrms through XLR, so the amp must have gain controls. Otherwise you'd have to run the A18 at -30dB (or something). And that's not good for sure!

Just coming back to this discussion. So, as I understand things, the output on the XLR outputs on the A18 are 6.3V. My headphone amp can take up to 8V in its XLR inputs. Thus, running the A18 at 0.0dB (i.e. maximum volume to avoid volume changes in the AK4499 affecting the sound quality) should produce the best sound, right?

That's what I'm currently doing and A18 --> XLR --> Arcam rHead head amp --> Beyer T1.2 sounds very nice. I need to listen more to try to detect distortion. There shouldn't be any as I'm still under my head amp's 8V limit on the XLR inputs.

Feb 20, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #64 of 82
Just coming back to this discussion. So, as I understand things, the output on the XLR outputs on the A18 are 6.3V. My headphone amp can take up to 8V in its XLR inputs. Thus, running the A18 at 0.0dB (i.e. maximum volume to avoid volume changes in the AK4499 affecting the sound quality) should produce the best sound, right?

That's what I'm currently doing and A18 --> XLR --> Arcam rHead head amp --> Beyer T1.2 sounds very nice. I need to listen more to try to detect distortion. There shouldn't be any as I'm still under my head amp's 8V limit on the XLR inputs.
Indeed, as long you are below the input sensitivity of your amp (i.e. it can go to full volume without clipping) you should set the A18 to max (0db).

As it turns out, both Amir and Wolf on ASR measured A18's best performance (lowest noise and distortion) at ~5Vrms rather than the full 6.3Vrms. And Gustard quietly confirms that by posting their official measurements at 4.9Vrms.

If we are to trust that, you will get slightly better performance from your A18 at -2-3dB instead of 0dB. I am sure the difference is inaudible, though.

A few things could affect this logic:

1) Those differences in measurements between 6.3V and 5V could be due to sensitivity of the ADC in the audio analyzer used to measure it. In other words measurement errors.

2) All posted measurements of A18 were performed on the 1st Edition. We don't have measurements performed on the 2nd Edition (MQA + TosLink + XU216). It is possible that Gustard changed the output stage, either to output less than 6.3V or in other ways that affect is measurements.

3) Gustard is very, VERY adamant about keeping the DAC at 0dB. They also mentioned in an ASR post that there is no preamp/attenuation control in the output stage, which means volume control is performed either in the DAC chip (at 32 bits resolution) OR in the input stage (at 24 or 16 bits resolution).

If it's the latter (volume control implemented in the input stage) we ABSOLUTELY should keep the DAC at 0dB volume setting, as we are otherwise talking serious impact on resolution.

But I think it is more likely they're letting the DAC chip perform volume control (at 32 bits internal resolution or better) which isn't as harmful as it is rumored to be. After all it works on all inputs, not just on USB (although it's disabled for DSD in pure DAC mode).

And if the output stage is a bit stressed at 0dB it is indeed possible that -2-3dB could be cleaner, despite some slight resolution loss in the DAC chip.

To sum it up, if I used a preamp with a remote control, I would just run the DAC at 0dB. As it is, I feed directly into a power amp with dual volume pots (gain control). I've set those to keep the DAC in the -10-0dB range most of the time, then make adjustments on the DAC remote.

Sorry for the verbose response. You know me by now 😏

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #65 of 82
@Dannemand Many thanks for the detailed response. You mentioned pure DAC mode. I have this mode on my Topping D90. Does the Gustard A18 have such a mode? Or is this mode implicitly achieved by setting the A18’s volume at 0dB? As mentioned, on my D90 I can set pure DAC mode in the menus.

Feb 21, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #66 of 82
@Dannemand Many thanks for the detailed response. You mentioned pure DAC mode. I have this mode on my Topping D90. Does the Gustard A18 have such a mode? Or is this mode implicitly achieved by setting the A18’s volume at 0dB? As mentioned, on my D90 I can set pure DAC mode in the menus.
My mistake. It's called Direct DSD in the A18 menu. I don't believe it has any effect on PCM.

Edit:
Just to follow up, A18's Direct DSD mode is clearly depicted in the Block Diagram on page 3 of the AK4499 product brief, where it is labeled Volume Bypass: Notice how it just skips the DATT (Digital Attenuation) and Delta-Sigma Modulator, going straight to the DAC module (D/A conversion). But it only applies to DSD when the DSDD bit is "1" -- which evidently is what the A18 Direct DSD mode sets.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #67 of 82
Has anyone heard anything more on the A18 in terms of any potential firmware updates, MQA certification, etc? It seems to have vanished from online retailers' sites, probably due to no more AK4499 chip availability.

Something I discovered recently in comparison with the X16 is that the X16 supports MQA rendering on several of its other inputs over and above USB. The A18 only supports on MQA via USB.

Mar 23, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #68 of 82
Has anyone heard anything more on the A18 in terms of any potential firmware updates, MQA certification, etc? It seems to have vanished from online retailers' sites, probably due to no more AK4499 chip availability.

Something I discovered recently in comparison with the X16 is that the X16 supports MQA rendering on several of its other inputs over and above USB. The A18 only supports on MQA via USB.

I don't expect any news to A18, at least not until after MQA authorization. And yes, I noticed it disappeared, first from Apos, and now from ShenzhenAudio. That bugs me a little, but as long as they honor support and warranty, I am OK.

My guess is X16 is a better cash cow for Gustard in the low end market: Much lower BOM compared to A18, perfect measurements to attract the ASR crowd. And the new X26 Pro should mop up the high end, again with perfect measurements.

Also, Topping released a new measuremaster DAC, D30 Pro, which undercuts X16 by $100 with comparable measurements. So it is now all the rage, and less talk about Gustard.

X16 can indeed perform MQA rendering from coax, optical, I2S etc, because its ES9068AS DAC chip performs them internally. It's the first DAC chip to do that. But it only works if you have a software decoder perform the first unfold. So you need a Roon, Audirvana or other device to perform the first unfold, then output to the X16 through coax/optical/I2S etc. For full MQA decoding in the X16, you still need to use its USB input, which decodes in the XMOS XU216, same as A18.

If you were to feed A18 from Roon, Audirvana etc through coax/optical/I2S etc, you would get first unfold (by far the most important) but no second unfold or MQA filter. I would have no concerns about that as far as SQ.

X16 has better coax and optical inputs than than most DACs, including A18. Less jitter. I assume they had to do that to maintain a stable feed for MQA rendering. Otherwise it would drop MQA authentication on every bit error.

I think the A18 MQA edition is a gem, a bit of a unicorn. It takes the best from A22, and provides it in a much more affordable package. Still with great measurements (as it should) but from an era before Gustard went all-in on the measurement game. Check the ASR thread linked below from last summer, in which John Yang wrote the following:

JohnYang1997 said:
Get the A18, gustard when full out with this.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ak4499-which-one-to-choose.14198/#post-434026

He is a Topping engineer, very knowledgeable, but known for his slight digs at competitors' products.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #69 of 82
Has anyone noticed the Gustard A18 'disappearing' from their computer very occasionally? I've has this happen twice now (averaging once a month). My computer (an iMac) does not 'see' the A18 any more, so apps like Audirvana and TIDAL send their output via the computer's speakers. The A18 is connected via USB.

I had a Topping D50 previously for a couple of years and never had a single issue at all, so it may be something specific to the A18. If I power cycle the A18 via the power switch on the back of the unit then everything is back to normal. It's not a big issues as it only happens once a month and there is an easy fix. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

If I wake the A18 up using the remote then it just says 'UNLOCK' on the display.

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #70 of 82
Sounds like the USB port entering sleep mode. Has it happened while you were playing music?

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #71 of 82
Sounds like the USB port entering sleep mode. Has it happened while you were playing music?
No, never while I'm playing music. It could be something to do with sleep mode on my computer. I am seeing a moon crescent symbol sometimes after I return to my computer. I'll look into the power settings. This may have been related to the last couple of macOS updates.

May 30, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #72 of 82
I don't expect any news to A18, at least not until after MQA authorization. And yes, I noticed it disappeared, first from Apos, and now from ShenzhenAudio. That bugs me a little, but as long as they honor support and warranty, I am OK.

My guess is X16 is a better cash cow for Gustard in the low end market: Much lower BOM compared to A18, perfect measurements to attract the ASR crowd. And the new X26 Pro should mop up the high end, again with perfect measurements.

Also, Topping released a new measuremaster DAC, D30 Pro, which undercuts X16 by $100 with comparable measurements. So it is now all the rage, and less talk about Gustard.

X16 can indeed perform MQA rendering from coax, optical, I2S etc, because its ES9068AS DAC chip performs them internally. It's the first DAC chip to do that. But it only works if you have a software decoder perform the first unfold. So you need a Roon, Audirvana or other device to perform the first unfold, then output to the X16 through coax/optical/I2S etc. For full MQA decoding in the X16, you still need to use its USB input, which decodes in the XMOS XU216, same as A18.

If you were to feed A18 from Roon, Audirvana etc through coax/optical/I2S etc, you would get first unfold (by far the most important) but no second unfold or MQA filter. I would have no concerns about that as far as SQ.

X16 has better coax and optical inputs than than most DACs, including A18. Less jitter. I assume they had to do that to maintain a stable feed for MQA rendering. Otherwise it would drop MQA authentication on every bit error.

I think the A18 MQA edition is a gem, a bit of a unicorn. It takes the best from A22, and provides it in a much more affordable package. Still with great measurements (as it should) but from an era before Gustard went all-in on the measurement game. Check the ASR thread linked below from last summer, in which John Yang wrote the following:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ak4499-which-one-to-choose.14198/#post-434026

He is a Topping engineer, very knowledgeable, but known for his slight digs at competitors' products.
The a18 seems to be back on Shenzhen Audio website but it has increased by $100. New price is now $649!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back